The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

desire to build Frankenstein Mamiya digital camera

faneuil

Love my AFD III with P45 back (of course, now I want a DF camera.. but that is another thread)

I am fascinated by home built cameras and I would love to build a simple box camera to attach my p45 back. Then on the front I could attach different lenses, pinholes etc..
Not really interested in going an expensive view camera route.

Anyway.. I got to thinking, won't the P45 attach to older mamiya manual cameras? Such as the M645 pro?
If so, where could I find a broken one to dismantle and play Dr. Frankenstein?
I imagine I could remove the mounting plate from the back of a broken camera and use that to attach my p45 to anything I desire.

any thoughts?

ITS ALIVE!

Eric

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Why not just attach it to an old view camera where you can even more easily attach anything you want up front AND retain the ability to easily move it in or out for focus?

faneuil

Why not just attach it to an old view camera where you can even more easily attach anything you want up front AND retain the ability to easily move it in or out for focus?
Wanted to keep it small and homebuilt.
Kinda super cheapy alpa tc.
Can you recommend small view camera with mamiya mount that would be cheap for experimenting?

Eric

Digitalcameraman

I will share this with you. A client of mine who bought Lightphase 11 years ago did this. I had taken a Digiflex to show him one day. I also had the Truewide with me.He looks at both, decides that he cannot afford to buy so he just creates one in his shop. To start with he bought an extra dust cover because he noticed that it fit very well together. He then drilled a big hole an mounted a Copal Shutter to the mounting plate with a Nikon lens flange where he would mount various nikon lenses and pin holes modules. His interest is in wide angle with his early LP. He entire setup was V so he had a ground glass for a Superwide C that he would put own to focus. And he got sharper images, as sharp as we remember the LP being. LOL

I have an extra dust cover for Mamiya if you decide that may be a good starting place for you. Jack has a good idea on the view camera but the sliding backs are the majority of the cost. Used Flex adapters for around 1495 or less then the camera and lenses. If not shimming is going to be the tricky part to get the film plane to focus and allow you to use wide angle which is easy and longer lenses which is harder.

So that should get you thinking.

Chris Snipes
Phase One Reseller
Phase One Test Studio
www.imageprduction.com
[email protected]

Love my AFD III with P45 back (of course, now I want a DF camera.. but that is another thread)

I am fascinated by home built cameras and I would love to build a simple box camera to attach my p45 back. Then on the front I could attach different lenses, pinholes etc..
Not really interested in going an expensive view camera route.

Anyway.. I got to thinking, won't the P45 attach to older mamiya manual cameras? Such as the M645 pro?
If so, where could I find a broken one to dismantle and play Dr. Frankenstein?
I imagine I could remove the mounting plate from the back of a broken camera and use that to attach my p45 to anything I desire.

any thoughts?

ITS ALIVE!

Eric