The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad HTS 1.5

fotografz

The crop ratio was probably dictated by the 28 "D" coverage.

Will Ophuis may be right about the closeness of the rear optic on the HTS, but it says "not recommended", as opposed to "Do NOT Use", which leads me to believe it is an optical quality thing. I'll have a look today ... I haven't used the HTS with the Multi-Shot camera yet, and am itching to do so.

The other aspect may be that the size/weight of the Zooms, 120 Macro, and 210 which do not have tripod collars ... so they may not be the best idea mounted to the little HTS ... that is a ton of weight hanging out there on the HTS mount.

-Marc

Dustbak

I just finished a session with the following combination, HC210, 56mm extender & the HTS.

Damn....! I just realized I should have tried putting the extender below the HTS. I had some issues with the HTS in vertical positions and my remote camera trigger plug :(

BTW. Session went fine though DoF is non-existent. You can tilt whatever you want and still nothing or next to nothing. The combination does vignet when you go beyond something like 8degrees.

fotografz

I just finished a session with the following combination, HC210, 56mm extender & the HTS.

Damn....! I just realized I should have tried putting the extender below the HTS. I had some issues with the HTS in vertical positions and my remote camera trigger plug :(

BTW. Session went fine though DoF is non-existent. You can tilt whatever you want and still nothing or next to nothing. The combination does vignet when you go beyond something like 8degrees.
Finally, someone had the guts to try it ... :ROTFL:

Very interesting. The BIG question is why it isn't recommended? The most important one of the bunch is why not the 120 macro which would benefit most from tilts.

I doubt you could mount the extender behind the HTS. Wouldn't that clip the image circle when using T/S?

In studio I just trigger the camera from the computer, so have never run into the blocked access to the e-trigger cord. Maybe they need to come out with a L shaped flatter profile tip so the cord hangs downward? David Grovner ... are you listening? ;)

-Marc

Dustbak

I will try the macro this afternoon as well as the extender in front of the HTS.

I cannot trigger from the computer in this case. The setup was with a timing device.

eg.
Trigger 1: Open shutter
Trigger 2: Drop 2 drops with x amount of millisec's in between
Trigger 3: After x amount of millisec's fire flash.

I had to trigger the setup remotely. I will look for a flat 3.5" monoplug and see if that works.

This is the result (still not entirely happy but getting there)

Nice one Dustbak!

The reason why the 120 is not recommended is for performance reasons.

Plus also if you want a 120 HTS, then simply use the HC80 and the smallest extension tube.

That gives you 120 Macro.

As Dustbak has found with the 210 then the tilt function has less or little effect.

jerome_m

Adding to that interesting review: the 120 macro will not attach physically to the HTS system. The lens barrel is too wide and the HTS mechanics are in the way.

So, in short, it is not "recommended" because it will not mount.

Dustbak

Adding to that interesting review: the 120 macro will not attach physically to the HTS system. The lens barrel is too wide and the HTS mechanics are in the way.

So, in short, it is not "recommended" because it will not mount.
it does not mount directly but if used with an extention ring it will mount and can be used...

Results were not great to be frank. This was with version I at that time, not sure how it woulc be with version II. I am not planning on testing this, much better results can be had with the 100 and extention rings.

Miller

Here are some more samples shot with an HTS on an H3dII 39.
HCD 28, shift 11,4 mm, shutter 1/90, f/19

HCD 28, shift 15,4 mm, rotation 90, shutter 1 min 4 sec, f/8.0

HC 80, tilt 10.5, shutter 1/20, f/4.8

stngoldberg

I struggled with the HTS-just didn't do it for me-sold it and bought an Arca Swiss rm3di-very happy camper now
Stanley

Mr.Gale

I know this thread is kind of old but I'm thinking about getting one. One question I have is how hard is it to focus? I have a 28mm and 100mm that I would use with it.
Thanks,
Gale

Nick-T

I have no problem focussing mine with both the 28 and 100 though I like the 80mm best with it for food work.
Nick-T

rsmphoto

As an aside, and a bit off topic, I did find that the auto focus worked and worked well with the 28 HCD when the HTS was used with the Leica S2 when used with rise and shift. Can't speak to tilt since I didn't use it that way.

Richard

Mr.Gale

Thanks Nick, your comment is reassuring.
rsmphoto- interesting, my understanding is auto focus doesn't work when the HTS is used on a Hasselblad.

Mr.Gale

rsmphoto

Indeed, that's true. The AF never worked with the HTS on my H3DII-39, but it did when it was on my S2. I wasn't expecting it.

Miller

I don't miss AF, shooting from a tripod.
Remember, the H has only one focus point dead centre.
Manual focus works fine for me.

jecxz

Regarding the manual focus on the HTS, I have no issue as others have stated and I am very comfortable with it; it's a tool that offers tremendous creativity.

Anyone using the 24mm with the HTS? Any thoughts?
I use the 24mm on the HTS and I'm quite happy; here's an example from 2 years ago with an .75 ND Grad and .9 ND, at f22 for 11 seconds on my ancient H3DII39:

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
derek jecxz {photographer}
http://www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

tjv

Thanks, Derek.
I see Jerome has also posted an example from the 24mm above, which I did not see before.
How does the 24mm compare to the 28mm (focal length difference aside) on the HTS and by itself? Being a newer design, is the 24mm better across the frame?

jerome_m

The HCD 24 and HCD 28 are equally excellent and both work very well on the HTS. The 24 is interesting for its wider angle of view, that is about all.

When used on the HTS, I found that the 24 was very difficult to focus. The lens aperture is only f/4.8 versus f/4.0 for the 28. That, and the bigger depth of field given by the shorter focal length makes it more difficult to focus, while I have no big problems with the 28. AF is not active with the HTS and any lens on H cameras.

I posted some tests of the 24mm and 28mm here: “Field” test of Hasselblad H wide-angle lenses. and also there:

24mm: HCD 4.8/24
28mm: HCD 4/28

For the tests, I used Phocus which corrects vignetting, distortion and chromatic aberration automatically.

Last edited: