The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What was once old, is now new....

JimCollum

I started a thread in the Large Format forum about a lens i just picked up... an old Hayden, Booth &Holmes Petzval lens from 1860. I've been playing around with it and the Betterlight scanning back (since it doesn't require a shutter to use).

But a 30 second scan time is doable for portraits (that's a typical exposure time for when the lens was used :) .. just not very convenient.

So i jury rigged my view camera, sliding back, the lens, a shutter and gaffers tape to get it working with the Leaf 75s

the Frankencamera..

the first test shot (my barely willing neighbor)

and a test shot (pano from the sliding back) from this morning's walk

100% crops

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Totally worth the effort. That portrait has a lot of really nice things going on with it. Stuff you can't fake in post. I think the gaffers tape adds a certain something (I can't speak/write French but phonetically it would be: jen a say kwa ;)) to that beautiful camera too.

Is the flat contrast an attribute of the back or your chosen processing?

JimCollum

Totally worth the effort. That portrait has a lot of really nice things going on with it. Stuff you can't fake in post. I think the gaffers tape adds a certain something (I can't speak/write French but phonetically it would be: jen a say kwa ;)) to that beautiful camera too.

The lens in general renders with very low contrast (without the lens hood, it pretty much flares in *any* light :) )

So far i'm playing around with it's original 'look'. As i get a better feel for the lens, i may play around with that some more

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Fantastic! You have a real time machine there, Jim. It's amazing that how a lens drew in the mid 19th century effects our vision of that era.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Your lens clearly has a pedigree. But it reminded me of one that I have that bears a resemblance. It's been kicking around my various dwellings as a shelf object for so long I forget where it came from. However there are enough similarities to yours to make me look at it a little differently!

Sorry for quality of this shot, just propped it up under my desk lamp.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The portrait is beautiful. Yes, low contrast, but it has a nice depth to it. I bet you could take some breathtaking flower/still life shots with that setup.

JimCollum

Your lens clearly has a pedigree. But it reminded me of one that I have that bears a resemblance. It's been kicking around my various dwellings as a shelf object for so long I forget where it came from. However there are enough similarities to yours to make me look at it a little differently!

Sorry for quality of this shot, just propped it up under my desk lamp.
it's a Bausch and Lomb Petzval. Jim Galli (who i think has cornered the market on soft focus lenses .. http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/ has a few of them and says they're excellent performers.

Let's see what you can do with it!

jim

JohnH

Je ne c'est quoi

'I don't know ...'

E&OE of course...

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the link. I did a short google excursion and have come to realize that there are a lot of people making some great images using old lenses like this. I love the look of the finished product and the effort involved certainly seems worth it.

Now that I've seen examples, yours and others, I will keep the idea of finding a way to use mine somewhere on my long to-do list. As of right this minute, I've nothing to mount the monster on.

I have to say though, I'm completely jealous of your set up. That digital back on the view camera is a very cool thing.

S

selsoe

Je ne c'est quoi

'I don't know ...'

E&OE of course...
Je ne sais quoi ;)

c'est means "it is", sais means "know"

Enough of the French lesson. Those are really beautiful shots! I really digged the portrait, but scrolling down, I fell more in love with the landscape one. Congratulations!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks to JohnH and selsoe for the French lesson. I've learned a lot from this little thread!

PSon

Fascinating images and wonderful original idea. The landscape is my favorite; the overall old glowing the image display is unique. I also just mounted the copal shutter in front of my enlarging and duplicating lens. The image circle I get is very large (4x5) and yet the resolution is very high.

btw is that Mr. Noodle?

-Son

Steve Hendrix

Well done Jim.

As you know, we've developed numerous exclusive custom products for our customers. We're considering offering a FrankenCamera sku. The bonus is you just never know what you're going to get when you open the box. We're looking for a supplier.

Interested?

Steve Hendrix

FromJapan

A technical question.

Is there a particular reason to mount the Copal shutter in front of the barrel lens? Supposing the lens was simply connected to the back, and an exposure made, what would happen? The barrel lens would be open, of course.

Kumar

fotografz

Jim, you continue to amaze.

Last time I did something like this was with an old wood 1890s 8X10 view camera and some giant brass lenses of dubious origin using an 8X10 polaroid back ... the shutter was the lens cap. Big PITA to get right, but fab results when you did.

Do more ... can't get enough of stuff like this. :thumbup:

PeterA

What struck me right away - was the ( daer I say it?) ...it has a film look to me..

great images- especially the landscape..
you got me thinking..

Pete