The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What was once old, is now new....

JimCollum

A technical question.

Is there a particular reason to mount the Copal shutter in front of the barrel lens? Supposing the lens was simply connected to the back, and an exposure made, what would happen? The barrel lens would be open, of course.

Kumar
the front is the easiest place to mount the shutter, since i already have the barrel lens mounted (it has it's own flange that bolts onto a lensboard). I could take it out of that flange, mount the copal shutter in another lensboard, then try it. the front of the lens just happens to 'pressure fit' into the back of a Copal 3, with some tape wrapped around it. A more fitting solution would be to sent the lens off to SK Grimes and have them mount it properly into a shutter.

In the setup i'm using.. it's very easy to take the shutter off of the front, and use the lens on the Betterlight