The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Hasselblad H Discussion Thread

s.agar

+1

I hadn't read this post while writing my short one. Thanks for your time for writing something so informative.

As I recall some of the older discussions when DNG was being rolled out, what Carsten is commenting on is correct. The DNG file format can hold whatever the camera maker wants it to hold, with respect to both the RAW file and any other notes and information, even proprietary stuff that the manufacturer wants to include. That is sort of where the sticking point comes in. In order to make use of any of that proprietary information contained within the file, there has to be something to decode, read and apply it. Essentially, that means the camera makers would need to provide how their recipes for processing are to be handled in the larger DNG world, otherwise, you just get the same RAW file as you do now with a more generic conversion. To me this has always been the problem of the design. As Marc points out, the only way to get to a more universal use is for the camera makers to have all of their secret sauce corrections done in the camera and written to the RAW file that is then just held in the DNG container in a format that is readable by a one size fits all DNG converter. That is about the only way it can work.

This is sort of the way folks are trying to use it now....do the processing with all the corrections and then embed that more final version into a DNG container for longer term storage and more "universal" access. Problem is that does not really work that well. Programs like Phocus from Hassy that have built their own corrections that may be lens and camera specific, can only apply those corrections after the RAW file is converted, but before it is output. If the corrections could be made before the RAW version is written, such as in the camera, a DNG file would be easy to produce, since it would just be a more universally readable RAW file.

As it now stands, there are so many different iterations of RAW files from so many manufacturers, that it is hard to keep up with. The basic algorithm for reading and converting the file is really not that complex.....IF the RAW file is written to DNG and contains all of the corrections and adjustments from the start. The easiest way to do this would be to have the camera write a RAW file into a DNG format that already makes all the corrections. The problem there becomes larger lookup tables and faster processor needs built into the camera to accommodate those corrections before the file is written.

In the case of the S2, as is mentioned, the size of the lookup tables needed to make the corrections is very small right now, since there are few lenses involved. In the case for others, where there are lots of different lenses needing different adjustments that are easy to do in software with a bigger computer, the requirements to stuff all of that into the camera are less attractive. The only other option would be for the camera makers to somehow supply their proprietary processing adjustment data to anybody wanting to put out a RAW development algorithm for more universal file conversion use. That would mean Hassy, Leica, Phase, Nikon, Canon and the rest supplying a continuously updated proprietary processing formula to anybody that asked for one in the DNG program group, so that their files could be read and converted properly. The more corrections the camera makers start to introduce, the more complex that becomes. It is far easier for them to build their own software and supply and update just that, even if it is not ideal for workflow. They then have the freedom to build in the more complicated changes and correction needs into their app, rather than having to supply that information, even if proprietary, for use in all DNG conversions by others.

This is how I have grown to understand the entire DNG problem. When DNG was first proposed by Adobe, there were almost no exotic tweaking of things as we have today. The general RAW conversion algorithm pretty much worked for all files, only needing camera specific profiles to make things correct with respect to colors and stuff. Things have gotten a whole lot more complicated and demanding now with the plethora of cameras, versions, lenses, and contant tweaking and updating by manufacturers as new tech and methods become available. The basic RAW conversion algorithms have not changed a whole lot from the start, but all the potential sauces that can be used have grown nearly exponentially. How and when those sauces get applied has now become the bigger issue. As mentioned above, the best place to do that for the most universal file usage is in the camera at the time the RAW file is being written, but that requires more horsepower in-camera.

We are actually probably closer to a point now where things like that are more possible, but almost all camera makers already have their own software divisions that are easier to control and make updates on their own on the fly, than to be constantly releasing stuff for all DNG program subscribers to incorporate into their stuff. I still think the best way is to write all the corrections to the RAW file at time of capture, but that can create problems beyond just in-camera processing needs. It would not permit any minor user preference adjustments as is now possible in many apps. It might also cause some file distortion that could not be undone if so desired. Things like that.

Bottom line from how I see things now....DNG is a very good concept, but things have advanced quite a bit since its inception. The information needed now to get the best results are not as easily incorporated and could compromise some of the "competitive advantage" that some camera makers now have over doing the best conversions for their files. Most of this could have been avoided had more manufacturers really signed on and helped push DNG from the start, but the security and uses at that time were very unknown and questionable. The advances in in-camera processing are making it now possible to do a lot more to files before they are written, but do not permit much user adjustment if needed yet. This is all evolving in ways that few could have really predicted when DNG was introduced. The entire transition to digital is not directly comparable to how film was shot and processed, where one had a few film types and their favorite processing labs that could soup things the way they preferred, yet that seems be the model that DNG is trying to follow....one universal development formula that could be tweaked a bit with some proprietary input. Things are much more complicated than that at this point.

Anyway, just a few thoughts on this before I have that next espresso ;-)

LJ

LJL

Seyhun,
Thanks for posting that bit of info. That is essentially what is needed, but had been lacking, and camera makers have not been pushing DNG hard enough to really make it work the way it could. Will be interesting to see if more of this continues, or if camera makers continue to opt for just putting more horsepower into their cameras instead.

LJ

LJL

Re: DNG updated to allow RAW corrections

I think the problem is that, even if manufacturers include the additional information in the DNG files, would LR or ACR be revised to perform these operations, and that is in the hands of Adobe. I think only if "willing" parties want to collaborate, this may happen.

ACR still sucks with my Ricoh GRDII raw files.. And it's DNG.

Seyhun
This is a big part of the resistance to DNG.....ACR sucks for a lot of files. It is rather generic (processing algorithm) and then depends on profiles either supplied by camera makers or reverse engineered by Adobe. The DNG concept does not have to preclude others, like Apple or RAW Developer from developing their own, and sometimes better algorithm for processing the RAW files than is now done by ACR/LR. I think this was partly the initial fear....ACR, built and owned by Adobe, would become the only RAW conversion app out there. At one point, that was pretty close to being the case, but thankfully (?) others like Phase One, Apple, RAW Developer, Bibble , etc., kept on their own paths to create better mousetraps.

LJ

carstenw

There is one other way to handle it. I doubt that the manufacturers will ever give up the code to their secret sauce, so one way is DNG plugins which hook into the central decoding algorithm, but the other one is an import plugin for popular programs. These plugins would be called by the importer and would handle the secret sauce, resulting in an image which could be stored in a DNG. This image might then have to already be flattened, i.e. no more Bayer matrix, but a full image, meaning that some scope for sharpening etc. control would already be lost.

The problem is quite complex, and cannot succeed as long as the manufacturers insist on keeping secret sauce secret, other than possibly with plugins for the raw processing.

yaya

Well put LJ, thanks for taking the time,

Carsten regarding "secret sauces" I know that at least Canon and Leaf provide a free SDK for anyone wishing to work with their cameras/ files. For example Iridient's Raw Developer gives you an option to use Leaf's own icc input profiles and develop curves with Leaf files.

Apple's concept with Aperture was to allow 3rd parties to build plug-ins, however for whatever reasons Aperture has not become a mainstream raw converter...

Yair

carstenw

Yair, the SDKs don't give access to everything, as far as I know. The most infamous example is Nikon's encrypted white balance, which I believe can only be used by Nikon own raw developer.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1113977781.html

Aperture is nice, but Lightroom's workflow is in general a little nicer, and also more efficient. I evaluated both at v.1 and Lightroom was a *lot* faster, and stored the files in a normal file system. Aperture stored the files in a bundle, meaning for example that backups would always copy everything. Meanwhile Aperture also stores in a normal file system, and many prefer the raw conversions, but LR is still more straight-forward to use and faster.

I feel that LR has gradually been slipping in the wrong direction, and Apple as usual improves their product in every version, so perhaps one day I will switch.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Have used LR1.1 and Aperture 2 and must say I like AP2 much more. Only thing missing for me are Curves adjustments.

Having said that C1Pro in its current incarnation is soooo much better still. And I expect that the next version will be another big step forward.

And frankly I doubt that Phocus will be able to come close - unfortunately!

Dale Allyn

I'm not a Lightroom user, but having said that (and having a little experience with the app. since beta), I wouldn't judge LR by version 1.1. I'm not advocating for LR, but just saying that v2.5 is considerably improved over v1.1. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm not a Lightroom user, but having said that (and having a little experience with the app. since beta), I wouldn't judge LR by version 1.1. I'm not advocating for LR, but just saying that v2.5 is considerably improved over v1.1. :)
Right, but not better that a number of great functions in C1Pro - unfortunately.

carstenw

Which functions do you mean?

In my experience, LR can do much more, but C1 is better at WB, noise and sharpness.

PeterA

Have used LR1.1 and Aperture 2 and must say I like AP2 much more. Only thing missing for me are Curves adjustments.

Having said that C1Pro in its current incarnation is soooo much better still. And I expect that the next version will be another big step forward.

And frankly I doubt that Phocus will be able to come close - unfortunately!
Either I really know my way around software OR I am so hopeless as to not be able to see the differences in terms of what they all deliver. I use C1 Pro/Phocus/LR/Exposure/CS4 - each has their strengths and weaknesses. LR has some pretty cool tools that no other software has - of course C1 does a great job with raw files - if they have a soup for the raw file and Phocus delivers the best IQ for native Hasselblad files as eXposure does for Sinar.

I hear a lot of great feedback from people who have done a course here with Jack and Guy on C1 Pro. I wonder how many of these people have actually done a course or immersed themselves in other software to the same extent?

there isnt much difference between the lot of them - except for workflow differences more or less pretty GUI and perhaps better or worse DAM capabilities and at the margin batch processing capabilities.

If you use a number of different backs and camera systems from different manufacturers you haev an incentive to learn your way around a number of different software programmes.

They all have one thing in common - you end up exporting to CS4 to finish -:)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Either I really know my way around software OR I am so hopeless as to not be able to see the differences in terms of what they all deliver. I use C1 Pro/Phocus/LR/Exposure/CS4 - each has their strengths and weaknesses. LR has some pretty cool tools that no other software has - of course C1 does a great job with raw files - if they have a soup for the raw file and Phocus delivers the best IQ for native Hasselblad files as eXposure does for Sinar.

I hear a lot of great feedback from people who have done a course here with Jack and Guy on C1 Pro. I wonder how many of these people have actually done a course or immersed themselves in other software to the same extent?

there isnt much difference between the lot of them - except for workflow differences more or less pretty GUI and perhaps better or worse DAM capabilities and at the margin batch processing capabilities.

If you use a number of different backs and camera systems from different manufacturers you haev an incentive to learn your way around a number of different software programmes.

They all have one thing in common - you end up exporting to CS4 to finish -:)
Think this will be my destiny, to end up with multiple SW packages :rolleyes::):):cool:

Currently using PS4, Bridge4, Aperture2 and C1Pro. Well you are right it does not matter to get also LR2 and Phocus2 to the list, then I have mainly all one could ever need.

And for printing some good RIP SW, which I already tested some packages and really like the additional functionalities above what is in PS4, Bridge, LR and Aperture.

PeterA

Think this will be my destiny, to end up with multiple SW packages :rolleyes::):):cool:

Currently using PS4, Bridge4, Aperture2 and C1Pro. Well you are right it does not matter to get also LR2 and Phocus2 to the list, then I have mainly all one could ever need.

And for printing some good RIP SW, which I already tested some packages and really like the additional functionalities above what is in PS4, Bridge, LR and Aperture.

think I could ever workout how to use photoshop to print something? nope. and I did try..very hard..for a long time..

Now...I just use Imageprint RIP on Epson - it works every time. Thoroughly recommended.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
think I could ever workout how to use photoshop to print something? nope. and I did try..very hard..for a long time..

Now...I just use Imageprint RIP on Epson - it works every time. Thoroughly recommended.
Great to hear this, I was also thinking about Imageprint. Especially if you want some freedom in creating layouts and this in short time.

LJL

Apple's concept with Aperture was to allow 3rd parties to build plug-ins, however for whatever reasons Aperture has not become a mainstream raw converter...

Yair
Yair,
Thanks for the kind words. With respect to Aperture and the plug-ins.....one of the things that I really do NOT like about that concept is that Aperture actually shells out to an intermediate file for each plug-in, and they are not easily combined for a final. In other words, if you use one plug-in to do something like dodge and burn adjustments, Aperture creates a separate tif or psd file (all done while still in Aperture) with those adjustments. Then, if you want to do some color adjustment or other correction, it creates yet another file for just those. Since those created files get flattened before returning them to Aperture, you are unable to go back to them to make any adjustments to the original or RAW, unless you start the entire process all over again. The plug-ins are not terribly interactive or adjustable once a correction with them has been made. This actually slows workflow quite a bit, and starts to create many versions of things, as there is no way to engage all the plug-ins from a single pallet to work on a file just once.

The initial concept is good, allowing 3rd party folks to create plug-ins to be used within Aperture, but the final execution is messy and not able to easily incorporate multiple changes easily. If you have a rather simple workflow with specific corrections to make via different plug-ins, things are not so bad, but you cannot go back and "undo" or modify those corrections without creating a new version from scratch again. Not something that folks who like to tweak and retweak things can like.

LJ