The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS TVC-33 vs. Gitzo 3-series

carstenw

I presume that the RRS TVC-33 announcement has made the rounds at this point, and that people are sitting around wondering where the new tripod fits into the grander scheme of things.

I am still using an older, heavier Manfrotto 055C with my Contax 645, and watching the market for the perfect tripod for my work. I have considered getting one of the Gitzos, probably a 3 or 5 series. I am more concerned about unquestionable rigidity and vibration resistance than about weight, and will gladly carry the extra kilo if that allows me to shoot at 1/15s, for example :)

Does anyone have any more information about this new tripod, or perhaps even some beta-testing experience? From the weight and dimensions, I presume that the best comparison would be against something like a 3-series systematic.

Link for those who didn't see this yet:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=TVC-33

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well not sure I am impressed yet . Look at the height

Load Rating = 50lbs / 22.7kg
Weight = 4lbs / 1.8kg
Maximum Height = 58-inches / 147.3cm
Minimum Height = 4.5-inches / 11.4cm
Folded Length = 26-inches / 66cm
Bullseye Spirit Level = 12mm diameter
Price = $925
Purchase with BH-55 LR ballhead and save $40.
Purchase with BH-55 LR ballhead and TQB-80 tripod bag and save $50.

Now look at a Gitzo GT 3541XLS
General
Load Capacity 39.7 lbs (18kg)
Maximum Height 78" (198cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column ExtendedN/A
Minimum Height 3.9" (10cm)
Folded Length 27.6" (70cm)
Head Attachment Fitting3/8"
Weight 4.3 lbs (1.970kg)

Guy Mancuso

There is a load difference Gitzo is less at 10 or so

Height Gitzo wins by 20 inches and that is a big differnce

26 inches folded the Gitzo 27.6 so a little bigger

Weight basically the same

Price Gitzo 100 dollars cheaper

Now the Gitzo does have the G lock which is a nice feature and you can put a center column in as well.

Guy Mancuso

Need to read more on the TVC-33 i did not know about this one myself. But I would expect them to perform very similar since they are both using Carbon Fiber

stephengilbert

Guy,

The RRS site shows a center column option, and it appears that the legs have an anti-twist feature. I called, and was told the tripods won't be available until the end of the year.

Steve

Guy Mancuso

Guy,

The RRS site shows a center column option, and it appears that the legs have an anti-twist feature. I called, and was told the tripods won't be available until the end of the year.

Steve
Thanks Steve i did not get through all of it when I posted that is good news. It looks nice but was hoping a little less money. I'm really happy with my Gitzo but this is a nice alternate

carstenw

I am curious about the center plate lock. I don't own a Gitzo, so I am not aware if there is an issue there, but I would be (mildly) surprised if RRS isn't reacting to *something* with the language they are using, and Gitzo is of course *the* CF tripod company... Does anyone see any potential stability advantage to the special locking plate RRS is advertising?

kdphotography

Gitzo 5541 might be somewhat closer in some specs, but it also weighs a bit more than the 3 series. Looks like the Gitzo is a little more compact when folded.... RRS is much lighter! 4 lbs vs. 6 lbs.

I thought the 5541LS was perfect for me---and I'm a little shorter than Guy!

Not sure about the RRS special locking plate---but do believe the newer 5 series Gitzos now have a different locking plate. Lock bolt underneath secures the head positively.

Dale Allyn

I'm 5'8" tall (because I want to be like Guy :ROTFL: ) and the RRS 'pod is too short for my needs. I'm sure the "boss" is well made, in the RRS tradition of fine workmanship, but for my uses this tripod would not even make it to my list (jewelry store price not withstanding). I do love RRS products though.

I have the Gitzo GT3541XLS and could not be happier. It's the tallest tripod I've ever used and I'm thankful for it on every outing. In my application, I find a need for at least one leg (of the tripod ;) ) to be fully or nearly fully extended due to uneven terrain very frequently. And I find it amazingly light-weight relative to its serviceability.