The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay MAMIYA 645AFD shooters, share your Lens knowledge..Please!!

jlm

Workshop Member
were you able to attend the workshop, even for a day, you would have all your questions addressed and I mean all, plus a large variety of gear to test first hand.

KETCH ROSSI

I can only imagine, but unfortunately it just isn't possible for the timing is completely in contrast with previous engagements :(

I'm a Film Producer/Director as well and that and photography have to run in harmony, some times Photography takes the priority but this month the Film industry has me by the B$#@! :)

carstenw

Is that a Scarlet? I didn't realize they were already out. I am not very good at recognizing them yet.

It is hilarious wathing Guy and Jack talk about stuff. Every fifth sentence is "let's get steak" :ROTFL:

KETCH ROSSI

NO that is the RED EPIC S35 which as you know will shoot both 5K Ultra HD and will take Stills just like any other 35mm DSLR camera.

But what I will soon post will be something to blow all our minds as far as MF future goes.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I really wish you'd SHUT UP, Jack! I've been hearing about that darn 150 2.8 from you for some time now, and tonight I finally broke down and ordered one.

Can I send you the bill? (Like I don't know the answer to that!)

I'll report on it when it arrives and if its really really really good maybe I'll forgive you.

Bill
Well Jack, I have to say you're forgiven. The 150 D is indeed a gem. I tested it today and as you say, very sharp at f2.8, perfect at f4 and diffraction limited by f11.

I then put the P45+ on ISO 400 and left the lens at f4 and just wandered around and shot hand-held. Every one was pin sharp. I'll post some serious stuff next week.

Enjoy Oregon!

Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well Jack, I have to say you're forgiven. The 150 D is indeed a gem. I tested it today and as you say, very sharp at f2.8, perfect at f4 and diffraction limited by f11.

I then put the P45+ on ISO 400 and left the lens at f4 and just wandered around and shot hand-held. Every one was pin sharp. I'll post some serious stuff next week.

Enjoy Oregon!

Bill
:D

Glad you like it --- it is a very sweet lens!

gsking

If seeking bokeh and narrow DOF, then the Mamiya 200mm F2.8 APO is worth looking at. It too is quite sharp wide open and on tight head shots the DOF will be very thin.
John,

I'll see your 200mm and raise you 100mm. :D

Now, if I could just get it to focus on the right spot. Perhaps the f/4 version with the autofocus would be better for me. ;)

Greg

John Black

Greg - I agree that the 200m APO is a demanding lens when focusing wide open. My keeper rate went up substantially after using the RRS monopod head w/ a Manfrotto monopod. It was very easy to carry with a total weight probably less than 2 pounds. Without that set-up my keeper rate was probably less than 20%; with it, the keeper rate was easily 80% or higher. By keeper, I just in mean it was well focused. Looking above I see that Tim is headed in the opposite direction talking about F11 and F16; I don't think any of my lenses have ventured past F8! LOL But if someone is looking for a lens where backgrounds just melt-away, the 200mm APO on a 48x36mm sensor is sublime. And just to buck the trend here, this was handheld (gasp!). I just loved the bokeh on that lens. I think Cindy Flood bought mine..., I still miss that lens.

It also has a nice 3D feel to its renderings -

S

SecondFocus

Interesting thread...

So out of the AF (not D) 150, 105-210, and 210 which would you say was the sharpest best image producing lens.

Just curious as to your opinions, I have all three.

Thanks!

kdphotography

Interesting thread...

So out of the AF (not D) 150, 105-210, and 210 which would you say was the sharpest best image producing lens.

Thanks!
I had all three lenses, and sold all three lenses, not for any reason other than not using them enough. The 150mm was the best of the bunch for me. I replaced it with the 150mm D series, which is heaps better.

John Black

I have not used all three, but I would vote for the 150mm F3.5 AF based on its aperture. Given that most digital backs start at ISO 50, having the added aperture speed is a saving grace when shooting outdoors and light is fading. Of course, that argument also makes a case for buying the F2.8 version.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Interesting thread...

Thanks!
I think I'd go with the 150, though my 3.5 was not as sharp as the 2.8D.

I've never used the zoom so can't comment. The 210 is a very sharp lens too, but while I carry it a lot, I hardly ever use it!

Bill

Dale Allyn

I don't have the zoom, but do have the 150 f/3.5 and the 210 ULD. Of those two, I feel the 210 has the edge, but both are quite good. I don't think that anyone disputes the superiority of the 150 f/2.8 D though.

G

glenfoxman

Okay MAMIYA 645AFD shooters share your Lens knowledge Please

I very informally compared the Schneider 80N against the Mamiya 80 af, but not D, and the 55-11080. The quality of the images was in the same order.

Im not sure that its fair comparing the 55-110 against the Schneider; its like comparing an MPV against a Ferrari. A Ferrari can go quick, but where do you put the kids?

KETCH ROSSI

Well I like to thank every one here that has share their knowledge of the MF with me, but at this time I have decided that I will remain with 35mm, since is a media to which I'm very familiar and use it for both Cinematography and Photography projects, especially now with the New RED EPIC, so again thank you, but I have decided not to upgrade to the DF and actually sale the P1 645AF body/Lens as well.