The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MFDB to copy 35mm Kodachromes?

gsking

Thoughts? My flatbed seems to choke on the density of Kodachromes, and I've read decent reviews for using digital slide duplicators.

I almost pulled the trigger on one, then realized I may have cropping issues on APS-C.

So, I figured I'd get much better results out of my 35mm-sized MFDB on my RZ67. The rack focusing would ensure I got in close enough.

I haven't looked yet to see if I can find a duplicator with the required thread size, because I realized I don't know what lens would be best. I suppose if 50mm works on a DSLR, it'll work on the RZ, right? Might need a pretty hefty stepdown ring on that 77mm thread.

Properly set up, I figure I can bang out slides MUCH faster than scanning them, and get similar if not better quality.

But I'm ready to be corrected. :)

Greg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Greg:

You can dupe slides with a digicam, but scanning is still easier, especially when it comes to applying profiles and probably a lot cheaper. Dust and scratches are also going to be an issue regardless, and the scanner dust and scratch removal routines -- especially with Nikon's IR channel -- are stellar. I recommend a Nikon 5000 with stack loader and Vuescan.

gsking

Thanks, Jack...but how is buying a Nikon 500 with stack loader going to be ANY cheaper, let alone a lot cheaper, than using my existing MFDB?

That's over $1000...

True, the ICE might help, but I've heard it gives mixed results with chromes, and I already know my V500 doesn't like them in the first place. The colors are nothing like they look under bright light (to the eye), which may explain why many people find taking photos of them to be preferable.