The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

F%$#%$! I just tried out the Leaf Aptus II 6 CRAZY!! So confused???

KETCH ROSSI

I might be wrong, but isn't the Leaf A-II-6 Dalsa sensor ? This could explain the differences quite fast.
Yes Christopher, it is, read more.. Leaf 22&33 byDALSA

Buy my DL-28 kit!

I love it but am not using it. Less than 500 shots! With Capture One, this is going to ROCK!
I did looked to get yours, but then I decided to go P1 and offered your system to my friend, and PMed you or emailed you to send me al the info, so please do so, and you might possibly have it sold, if you guys agree on the price, as I already have two offers for one other DL28 and one DL33 system.

I'm looking to an upgrade path for both the Camera and the DB so it is important for me that the system I buy has the warrantee and time of purchase to fall in the right timing, but my friend will never upgrade, He will be likely to keep this system for the rest of his life :)

Have you rented a system and tried it out on a shoot to see if the system "fits" you? While getting advice and opinions from everyone is very helpful and appreciated, in the end you are the one who is going to be making a living from your decision. It can be a VERY expensive mistake!

See if any of the dealers that you are talking to will let you rent the setup and if you buy it from them, credit you the rental against purchase price. This way you can get the feel of the equipment and make an educated choice on how the equipment fits your workflow. Trying out the camera in the store is one thing, putting it through your studio workflow is another. I like to use the suit analogy, just because everyone says buy an Armani because it fits them so perfectly, when you put it on and do not look good in it then you have wasted your money.

After you try the systems and form your opinion on how the software interface works, how the images look to your eye for the type of lighting and setups that you do. Then ask about the individual brand's reliability etc of the group. In my opinion is the logical way to go.

Good luck
Yeah I already did try the system out, for about three hours as the photographer was three ours late to the shoot :)

I like it and for this I have started this thread, I already knew the Mamiya AF system so no changes there, well actually many changes three editions later but all for the better.

Problem is I just can't find in off info on my own, and for this I also started this thread, but now a tone of info has come my way, and tomorrow I'll be making my final decision in which system to invest on, and I thank every one again for their participation in this thread.

Will be talking to few dealers tomorrow and finalize one system or the other, as I need a camera system for the weekend!

Last edited:

Christopher

Ok so I'm not surprised at all. Certainly one reason for switching from the P45 to the P65 was the fact, that I preferred the Dalsa sensor. Even though I still sometimes which Phase would have skipped this stupid pixel binning and focused more on longer exposure times.

Steve Hendrix

Yeah Steve steered me towards P1 and He did find me one of those three deals I'm talking about, and a great one too.

Not sure if I did or didn't PM Yair.

Edit: now I did :)

Just for clarity, Leaf products did not come up between Ketch and myself, only a discussion comparing Phase One and Hasselblad, since Ketch had initially considered Hasselblad. But at of the time of our conversation Ketch had turned in the direction of Phase One.

For the work that Ketch shoots, all of these products offer benefits. Certainly Leaf would be a consideration as well. It is true that Mac Group is continuing with Leaf service, and Phase One USA has hired Rick Adshead, so they will also be in great shape to provide quality support for Leaf products.

Steve Hendrix

KETCH ROSSI

Correct Steve, we didn't talked about Leaf at that time, it was the Hassy or Phase the :), now is the Phase or Leaf, well actually is Phase or Phase or so it seems, s Phase is getting larger and larger, Mamiya, Shneider, Leaf, Dalsa, and ....

KETCH ROSSI

Okay, after all I have made my final decision and just closed a deal with Steve from Capture Integration, and got the P30+ system, great deal, and absolutely fantastic service by Steve and the guys at Integration, highly recommend them to any one in a purchase mood :)

KETCH ROSSI

so and why the P30+ over the Aptus II 6?
Well.. I have been reading like crazy about both systems, and listen to the various Leaf and Phase One guys, apart from various dealers, and I felt that the info provided on the Phase One backs, was far better informing, and the current Leaf situation did not play a positive impact in my decision either, but beside little differences in favor of one or the other, Screen size, Speed, Software, high ISO, long exposure, noise resistance, both long exposure and High ISO, and so on, I considered them all, but I must say that beside current availability of systems, and need for a system in the next few days, I mostly considered the upgrade path for both camera and DB.

Service provided by Steve of capture Integration, and their capacity to find and match my desired Budget had the final decision making, and for this I went with the P30+ and Phase One 645 AF system and will upgrading to the Phase One DF as soon as it comes available and later upgrade to the P65+.:D

arashm

Ketch
just to add to the confusion :)
apparently there is also a H4D-40 coming soon, I'm assuming it's the same chip as the P40+
just had to through it out there.
Also I agree with Thomas The P30+ and the H3D2-31 are my most favorite backs/camera's to rent.
am

KETCH ROSSI

Don't worry Am, no more confusion.. I already got my P30+ today from Capture Integration thanks to Steve and the guys of Phase :D

carstenw

My Sinar screen is no better. I think only the Leaf is larger, and only the Leica is bright enough for outside (supposedly, since in this forum, I think only David Farkas has tried it outside so far).

J

jingq

My Sinar screen is no better. I think only the Leaf is larger, and only the Leica is bright enough for outside (supposedly, since in this forum, I think only David Farkas has tried it outside so far).

thought you might like the know the H3DII screens are pretty darn good outdoors and zoom in pretty fast too. (though I know you don't like Hassy grin.)
I used Leaf in the past and the screen is big but useless outdoors and magnifying a spot on the screen takes forever.
never used a sinar or phase.