The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New PhaseOne 645AFD Announcement

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree we need a fully coupled one to use other glass. I have a cheap one coming to try out with the Hassy 40mm but man does this bring back memories Canon with Zeiss and leica glass. I thought i got away from that stuff.

irakly

mechanical coupling is not possible. so, the only hope is a series of dedicated adapters that remap electronic contacts for full compatibility with the body. in this case even AF can be preserved. i am sure you've heard of this genius from vancouver who adapts contax n lenses on eos platform who came up with a technology that preserves all auto functions except AF bracketing (like you ever need it).

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
right. and you have to stop down manually. very cool technology :)
Actually in practice this isn't as bad as you'd think --- I use my 110F Planar on my Mamiya wide open most of the time anyway ;)

And FWIW Irakly, I just finished comparing the Hassy 50F and 150F to the Mamiya equivalents on my ZD, and the Mamiya blew those two away at EVERY aperture. That was two copies of the 150 and one of the 50, so admitedly those could have been bad Hassy lenses, but I am doubtful that is the case. (Seriously, even my 55-110 zoom at 55 beat out the 50!) The 110 is better than my 80 wide open, but by f4 you have a hard time telling them apart resolution, color OR bokeh wise... The current generation of Mamiya AF glass is not your grandma's Mamiya...

(And I totally agree with you on the Fujiblad glass wide open... Needs a couple of stops down to come into it's own.)

irakly

oh, believe me, i had more than my fare share of stop-down metering. these are bells and whistles that are not for commercial work where there is no room for a fuck-up.
50F and 150F, you mean, shutterless v lenses? that's interesting... what do you mean by "blew away"? it is not sharpness that i am concerned about :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
oh, believe me, i had more than my fare share of stop-down metering. these are bells and whistles that are not for commercial work where there is no room for a fuck-up.
50F and 150F, you mean, shutterless v lenses? that's interesting... what do you mean by "blew away"? it is not sharpness that i am concerned about :)
Yes, I mean the shutterless Hasselblad F (German Zeiss) lenses for the 2000/200 series Hassy bodies; to clarify these were F versions and NOT FE versions.

By blew away, I mean firstly the Hassy glass were NOTABLY softer in resolution than the comparable Mamiya glass. So soft wide open they had no point of focus -- but on the upside they did have great bokeh everywhere in the image ;) The 150's were usably sharp by about f4.5, but never, ever got "crisp," though you could make okay images from f5.6 up. The 50 didn't even get usably sharp until f8(!) By contrast, my 110 F is crisp wide open at f2 AND has great bokeh; it's in a totally different league than the 50 and 150.

Cheers,

robmac

Jack re: the Hasselblad 50mm you tested: was it the 2.8, older F4 or the new F4 FLE? The FLE's MTF looks hellishly good.

If only the new Mamiya glass didn't use an electronically controlled aperture (for use on 1Ds2).

robmac

RE: some posts on page 1:

Hoods for the 110mm can be acquired used for $50. It also fits the 150, 180 and 250 IIRC. Given the the fact they are ABS plastic, that's even a stretch price-wise. They also don't have that secure 'under-tension' bayonet attachment that Zeiss ZF units do. Ther is some spring steel in the bayonet mount, buy it has very little tension.

The 110/2 F is a sweet lens (even just on my 1Ds2), but the hood was without question a design afterthought.

Last edited:

woodyspedden

mechanical coupling is not possible. so, the only hope is a series of dedicated adapters that remap electronic contacts for full compatibility with the body. in this case even AF can be preserved. i am sure you've heard of this genius from vancouver who adapts contax n lenses on eos platform who came up with a technology that preserves all auto functions except AF bracketing (like you ever need it).
The genius from Vancouver goes by the name Conurus and you can find postings from him on the Fred Miranda forum at the alternative image thread on the alternative image forum. I'll try to get more precise information to contact him but those who have bought the converted Contax 24-85N seem to be very happy

Woody

BJNY

Rollei-mount 110mm is a beast with its leaf shutter causing [filter] diameter to be 95mm, unlike Hasselblad's shutterless version at Bayonet 70. Big difference.

RE: some posts on page 1:

Hoods for the 110mm can be acquired used for $50. It also fits the 150, 180 and 250 IIRC. Given the the fact they are ABS plastic, that's even a stretch price-wise.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack re: the Hasselblad 50mm you tested: was it the 2.8, older F4 or the new F4 FLE? The FLE's MTF looks hellishly good.
Again, these were the Hassy F lenses, NO SHUTTERS IN THE F SERIES! The CF, CFi, are different, having shutters in them. The 50 F is an f2.8 lens and the 150 F is an f3.5 lens.

robmac

Jack & BJNY

Aaargh. Quite right to you both. Should have read the prior posts more carefully to realize that:

a) Jack was discussing the F series not a C series operated in 'F' or locked-open shutter mode.

b) BJNY & Sinar (the latter should have been a give away but...) were discussing the Rollei 110 not the Hassy/Zeiss 110 - different lens, different hood naturally.

I'll blame it on my trying to kick the cigar habit. It's not going so well....;>

BJNY - thanks for the link. Am considering the 50 FLE.

irakly

Jack, were you looking at digital files, or prints? I have never shot with old 50F, but I still have the 150F from my 2000fcm days and remember it well. this lens behaves somewhat like old 35mm summicron: it is not critically sharp, but its microcontrast is so high that images are very well defined and LOOK sharp. I actually like it much better than inhuman edge sharpness of aspheric lenses. To tell you the truth, I have not shot digital with it. You got me curious. I'll take some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Yes, I mean the shutterless Hasselblad F (German Zeiss) lenses for the 2000/200 series Hassy bodies; to clarify these were F versions and NOT FE versions.

By blew away, I mean firstly the Hassy glass were NOTABLY softer in resolution than the comparable Mamiya glass. So soft wide open they had no point of focus -- but on the upside they did have great bokeh everywhere in the image ;) The 150's were usably sharp by about f4.5, but never, ever got "crisp," though you could make okay images from f5.6 up. The 50 didn't even get usably sharp until f8(!) By contrast, my 110 F is crisp wide open at f2 AND has great bokeh; it's in a totally different league than the 50 and 150.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Digital files, after optimal raw processing, compared side-by-side in CS3... Seriously, they looked so bad at 100% I would never ever bother to print them. They were ugly bad. Think vaseline on the front element bad. (Okay, not quite that bad ;) ) They might be fine of film, but those babies are just plain ugly for digital. Plus the 150's had notable CA. By contrast, the 110 looks stellar on the digital file...

T

thsinar

the "Zeiss Planar 2/110 HFT PQ" with Rolleiflex mount: I guess that it is the very same lens/optical design.

Thierry

b) ... Sinar (the latter should have been a give away but...) were discussing the Rollei 110 not the Hassy/Zeiss 110 - different lens, different hood naturally.

robmac

Thierry - that it is, that it is. However, I'm not certain that the HFT & T* coatings are IDENTICAL -for whatever that's worth in real life.

Should add that the H/Z 110/2 F on my 1Ds2 draws a gorgeous pic. Is across much, much sharper wide open than the MTFs would have you believe. The selective focus ability is damn near perfect - just enough focus throw or pitch to let you cherry pick the plane of focus but not so much that you're twisting the bloody lens all day going from MFD to infinity. Images also tend to really 'pop' into focus in the viewfinder. Great color, smooth bokeh.

However, much like the Zeiss 100 ZF it does tend to produce CA in some backlit out-of-focus high contrast areas. Am looking for a decent way to play with it, but I also tend to prefer B&W so it's real world relevance to me is minor. On a CCD MFDB sans AA filter this sucker would really sing. Reminds me, need to buy that lottery ticket... ;>

Last edited:
T

thsinar

Alright, Robmac, thanks for the details!

I have no practical experience yet with this lens, only visual. I will let you know my findings as soon as I will be able to use it.
The coating may effectively be different.

I will get as well the Zeiss Sonar 5.6/250 HFT PQS: any experience with this to share?

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Thierry - that it is, that it is. However, I'm not certain that the HFT & T* coatings are IDENTICAL -for whatever that's worth in real life.

Should add that the H/Z 110/2 F on my 1Ds2 draws a gorgeous pic. Is across much, much sharper wide open than the MTFs would have you believe. The selective focus ability is damn near perfect - just enough focus throw or pitch to let you cherry pick the plane of focus but not so much that you're twisting the bloody lens all day going from MFD to infinity. Images also tend to really 'pop' into focus in the viewfinder. Great color, smooth bokeh.

However, much like the Zeiss 100 ZF it does tend to produce CA in some backlit out-of-focus high contrast areas. Am looking for a decent way to play with it, but I also tend to prefer B&W so it's real world relevance to me is minor. On a CCD MFDB sans AA filter this sucker would really sing. Reminds me, need to buy that lottery ticket... ;>