The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New PhaseOne 645AFD Announcement

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Here is some of the news. You can see pictures and read more at http://captureintegration.com/category/news/
or www.phaseone.com
New Phase One Body

* Improved shutter speed range 1/4000th - 60 minutes
* New AF motor with 3 AF points
* New digital board
* Improved dial, shutter, grip ergonomics, AF lever (for AF mode selection)
* Ready for 120 frames per second
* Ready for leaf shutters, expected 2008
* Value Added Warranty: 3 year or 300,000 actuations (body and lens)
* Classic Warranty: 1 year or 100,000 actuations (body and lens)

New 80mm F2.8 AF lens

* Extremely low chromatic aberration
* Steel barrel
* New ergonomic design

New Value Added Case

* Fits a laptop
* Has roller wheels and handle
* Room for body and two lenses

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration , Phase One Dealer of the Year
[email protected]

irakly

this is absolutely cool. only if only it had decent lenses :)
if they ever come up with a fully automatic contax 645, or rollei adapter, i will be first in line.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Let's end the lens myth right now. There not as bad as i hear at all. Look forward to the new body will certainly get one at some point but this is a 80mm 2.8 standard lens of today. For 14k and a whole MF system it ain't bad and i am Not kicking it out of my bed anytime soon. Sorry i can't get 4 lenses and a MF back for 14k anywhere. It beats the snot out of anything in 35mm so for me it is a huge jump getting into it.

First two are NOT sharpened , the third one is.

Guy Mancuso

Okay i shot the M8 next to this and there is no comparison per say with detail , DR and such the ZD kicks it. Color and tone on all my shots with the glass has a really nice look and not clinical at all. It may not be like some Zeiss glass or Hassy glass but it's certainly not crap as some would say. It can produce.

Guy Mancuso

guy, do you a picture shot wide open?
Yes I have a lot . Check this thread Irakly . My system is giving me fits at the moment and trying to restore. I will get more up when it comes back .

But look here . Frankly guys i am seriously impressed for what i spent and not much more than a 1dsMKIII

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1394

BTW nice to see you hanging out , you bring a wealth of knowledge in the MF world. i love the Contax system but it was and is tough buying a dead system per say. i know many parts and bodies are still out there but the body can't get improved and which lead me in this direction. i knew there was a new body coming and i think we will see another back this year announced. But for now i am better in the door than out it.

Guy Mancuso

No this is the current model. The new one I do not have . For a cheap 80mm it is damn good. I have the 150 coming this week and i have a Hassy 40mm that I am going to bolt on with adapter but i do want to get the 55mm 2.8 also. Now i am hoping the will improve the line more with this announcement since it looks like Mamiya and the Phase combo will be alive and well . One can hope for even better glass but the back is the same as the leaf 22mpx which i always thought was a good one.

For entry level into the MF world , it's better than I thought it would be. Slow but not bad

irakly

i also think that 22mp is an optimal resolution for 645 for many practical reasons. honestly, i would prefer a 43x43 sensor, but it does not seem to be happening. so, p25 it is.
as for the mamiya glass, out of the old line-up two lenses really impressed me: a 24mm fisheye and a 500mm cat. although, the cat is really hard to screw up :) i used both on contax 645 with some exotic custom-made adapter that marc had. i wish i knew who made it...

Guy Mancuso

Jack bought Marc's 24mm so I get a chance to see the results. I have a newer Hassy 40mm which is very good from memory with film. Hoping that helps. I may go for a 110 planar too. But i think 22mpx is really good. Of course would not mind having bigger and I will down the road. But for now this is very promising and for the screaming deal i got well worth it. I know there are many choices on backs Aptus , Hassy, Phase and Sinar . One thing is for sure they will not disappoint. The backs are not the biggest issue the camera choices are limited and that is something that makes these decisions hard. Contax not making there's any more, Hassy a closed system , Mamiya looks to be up and coming and than Sinar which looks awesome but expensive. Not a lot out there. This new announcement does bring promise though and glad to hear it.

T

thsinar

I'll get my 110 Planar next week, for my Hy6: can't wait for it!

Guy: when my hy6 is worn out I'll sell it to you!
:thumbup:

Best regards and enjoy MFD,
Thierry

Jack bought Marc's 24mm so I get a chance to see the results. I have a newer Hassy 40mm which is very good from memory with film. Hoping that helps. I may go for a 110 planar too. But i think 22mpx is really good. Of course would not mind having bigger and I will down the road. But for now this is very promising and for the screaming deal i got well worth it. I know there are many choices on backs Aptus , Hassy, Phase and Sinar . One thing is for sure they will not disappoint. The backs are not the biggest issue the camera choices are limited and that is something that makes these decisions hard. Contax not making there's any more, Hassy a closed system , Mamiya looks to be up and coming and than Sinar which looks awesome but expensive. Not a lot out there. This new announcement does bring promise though and glad to hear it.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Thierry. I wish i could have went Sinar on this but at least i am here and that is what counts. The more folks that get into the MF world the better for the industry and the users. I looked at the hy6 it was pure sex. Like getting a date with a 25 year old again. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

BJNY

The 110mm is quite heavy, Thierry.
Too bad a hood isn't included.
I'll either get a Lee compendium or a 95mm rubber hood.

T

thsinar

Sure, Guy, I am never blaming anyone for going one route rather than another. We are not sectarian, are we?

Thierry

Thanks Thierry. I wish i could have went Sinar on this but at least i am here and that is what counts. The more folks that get into the MF world the better for the industry and the users. I looked at the hy6 it was pure sex. Like getting a date with a 25 year old again. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

T

thsinar

hi BJNY!

Yes, it is, but for my use it will be on tripod.
Do you know if a specific hood exists for this lens (should)?

Thierry

The 110mm is quite heavy, Thierry.
Too bad a hood isn't included.
I'll either get a Lee compendium or a 95mm rubber hood.

BJNY

The same (bayonet?) hood fits the 180mm.
2007 price list shows it as $222.
Wish it were included with a $5K lens.

Last edited:
T

thsinar

ouch! but as long it is UNDER $ 300!

It is a "crime", IMO, and this includes Sinar concerning the MF lenses, to sell lenses WITHOUT lens hoods and leaving the choice to use it or not. It is not a question of price, IMO, but on one side some are ready to buy the best (most expensive) lenses and are not aware about the "destruction" of contrast in some light situations.

One should FORCE photographers to use a protection!

Thierry

The same (bayonet?) hood fits the 180mm.
It's under $300...ouch.
Wish it were included with a $5K lens.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
this is absolutely cool. only if only it had decent lenses :)
if they ever come up with a fully automatic contax 645, or rollei adapter, i will be first in line.
Well there is the HB lens adapter available from Mamiya or third parties that allow you to use Hasseblad V series and 200 series glass on the front of the Mamiya 645AFD/II/III(PhaseOne 645AF) . They also announced adapters for Pentacon lenses as well.
The Mamiya branded adapter is about $500 and there are some thrid party ones available for around $100. I have heard that some of the third party ones have trouble focusing infinity sometimes with certain lenses, but have not been able to confirm.
We are waiting for the two adapters to come in and we will be doing a comparison.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
[email protected]