The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New leaf 22 back... 5.995 € only !!!

D

David A

I wonder what the price will be in the UK? If it's a good price then this will be seriously tempting.

David

gogopix

Subscriber
sooo, for about half the price of an M9 plus Noctilux, one can get into MF?

Interesting times...

Victor

pcunite

I would be extremely interested in seeing prints/files of the same scene from this Leaf Aptus-II 5 back and a 1Ds Mark III.

Uaiomex

I think 2010 will be a year remembered as the year DMF stuck in. Lucky us that we'll finally get into DMF while we can still walk!
Eduardo

Henry Goh

Before buying my P30+, I have shot with various cameras including 1Ds MKIII. If some of you are thinking that megapixel is everything (which I did previously) you are wrong. The dynamic range and lack of AA filter of the MFDB are what you will notice immediately when you start to compare files from a back and a high-end DSLR. The images from my P30+ look like a sheet of thin translucent satin has been removed from my images shot with the 1Ds MKIII. Mind you both are sharp (although P30+ files are still crispier) but the tonality from MFDB is really nicer, smoother and less "digital".

If funds permit, keep whatever DSLR you are happily using and go buy a MFDB, even if you can only afford to buy a kit with its standard lens. You'll love it.

JohnH

Hmmmm.

I have a Bronica SQ-A plus three good lenses - this could be interesting.

The Bron is 2 1/4 square - the spec on the Leaf says the CCD is 48 x 36mm - does that cause issues?

Cheers,

John

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I would be extremely interested in seeing prints/files of the same scene from this Leaf Aptus-II 5 back and a 1Ds Mark III.
I can't remember where you are located, but if you can make it to a GetDPI workshop, or to Miami or Atlanta we'd be happy to have you do your own comparison of these two systems (we're a Leaf and Canon dealer); this can be done in your normal shooting style with your normal subject matter. No one else's comparisons are going to mean as much to you. That would also let you get a sense for the difference in shooting style - the speed limitations of medium format as well as the difference in feel of the larger viewfinder and more mechanical attachment to the image making process (my opinion only - that's why you should try yourself).

But yes, in short, as a big fan of the 1Ds III and 5D Mark II there is a world of difference in the look, feel, and technical attributes of those systems and all the current Leaf and Phase backs.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

T

tetsrfun

I think 2010 will be a year remembered as the year DMF stuck in.
It will be interesting if there is continued downward price pressure. The 'blad CFV 39 at $13,995 is, IIRC, a new low for a new 39 MP back.

Steve