The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN WITH LEICA S2 IMAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Ha! A fan I see. I'll continue to believe that the S2 will NOT be Born Under A Bad Sign!
Mixing your Musicians is never a good idea :)

Incidentally, at the risk of dissipating the gloomy nature of this thread, have you heard the Madison Square Gardens concerts (Winwood and Clapton?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Nay, I've not heard them. Or at least I don't recognize them.

p.s. Don't worry about dissipating the gloom, that stuff is pretty sturdy.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm downloading the album from iTunes now. Thanks for the tip!

See? Good things can happen from the most unlikely sources sometimes!

Dale Allyn

Hey! you guys are messing up the pom-pom shows and jersey beating. The next thing you know we'll be seeing some photography in here. Just quit it. Quit it right now I say.

:p

Last edited:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Hey! you guys are messing up the pom-pom shows and jersey beating. The next thing you know we'll be seeing some photography in here. Just quit it. Quit it right now I say.

:p
Oops. Sorry. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. I'm going to play a little air guitar along with Eric (a remarkably similar activity to the original nature of the thread!).

G

gdwhalen

Funny to me how few people in here actually talk about the "content" of the photo. Image content trumps tech specs every single time.

woodyspedden

The slightest negative thing in an image is likely to blow out of all proportion.
Certainly this would be one consideration but with the number of
prototypes and Leica allied testers of the S2 in circulation surely there
must be a handful of RAWs Leica could be willing to release to
satisfy those curious and/or considering the system.

These files could hardly do any more damage than adamantly declaring
the product shipping in the summer of 2009,then the autumn, and now
the winter. No?

They've been announced but not delayed yet.

Mark
I was fortunate to see about 50 images taken with a prototype S2 and the 70 and 180 lenses. These were shot in Germany during a period when Sean Reid, Michael Reichmann, David Farkas and Phil Askey were invited to shoot with both a M9 and the S2.

The files I saw were in all cases uniformly good and in several shots just amazing. I was particularly impressed with a shot of a model, head and shoulders, and I blew it up to 200% to see some reflections in her eye. Sure enough there was a focused image of the photographer, kneeling on the ground. I could not believe the quality of the file even at 200%. Not to say that other MF backs like the P65+ couldn't do the same thing. However the resolution of the S2 is wonderful in my opinion and makes one believe that the lenses of this new machine may be as good as advertised. For that we will obviously have to wait and see.

I know I am pretty fired up about this camera even if it is out of my price range. Wish I was rich! LOL

Woody

fotografz

Hmmm, lots of smoke and mirrors, speculation, vaporware, and a camera made of that rare and costly material ... unobtainium.

:deadhorse: IMO, Leica should have zipped it until the S2 was ready to spring forth, full grown from Thor's loins ... like the M9.

Confusing the S2 with the M9 is a dangerous line of logic IMO. One is a second generation digital camera with a 50 year historical pedigree ... the other isn't.

Woody, I can take a Sony file up 200% and see myself taking the shot in the eye ball. With a 60 meg full 645 sensor I'd expect to read the name on the camera in the reflection. :ROTFL:

Most all of these cameras are already beyond belief in IQ, the only real differentiator now is content ... per Mr. Walen's comment ... and actually using them.

Best of luck to Leica is my thought. Hope it all is a roaring success for them. :thumbs:

-Marc

peterv

Yes, I agree with Jono and Carsten.

No offense Peter Tomsu, but the whole photoforum community interested in the S2, by now get the (your) picture, and knows where you stand... :rolleyes:

And yes, I'm a fanboy too :p

On a side note, I'm happy to read David Farkas announcements.
1 His review should be up soon.
2 People can bring their cards to the Photoplus event.

This means we should be able to actually finally get to see/judge/discuss some images very, very soon.

Regards, Peter

PeterA

Having a camera and lens system(s) which make you feel like using it(them) - and using preciously rare leaisure hours - is an important consideration for me.

In other words a lot of the utility in a camera or lens or software or printer or anything associated with photography is about how easy is it for me to get a result I like in a manner which is enjoyable and fun.

I think a lot of naive people or perhaps people lacking the mature sensitivity to appreciate the total utility of a particular device in the broad sense of the word underestimate the importance of beautiful things.
These same sorts of peopel and mindsets dont understnad the importance of custom fitted golf clubs, the right weight and handle thickness and length in a cricket bat, the health benefits of having a cobbler make your own fitted shoes from your own last, your own tailored shirts and suits etc etc et

It seems that the great majority of people have become McDonaldified over teh last coupel of decades - prepared to accept any prepackaged plastic crapola that ticks a marketing survey box anbout what features and benefits a focus study group desires and what price this focus study group is prepared to pay.

All fine for mass market engineered and manufactureed to a price stuff.

Me I want the things taht appeal to my senses to be beautiful, to fit well, to have a lovely fragrance or taste or sound.

One either 'gets this' ot one doesn't- it isnt about beeing a fan boy/girl - it is about liking what you use.

pcunite

I think a lot of naive people or perhaps people lacking the mature sensitivity to appreciate the total utility of a particular device in the broad sense of the word underestimate the importance of beautiful things.

These same sorts of peopel and mindsets dont understnad the importance of custom fitted golf clubs, the right weight and handle thickness and length in a cricket bat, the health benefits of having a cobbler make your own fitted shoes from your own last, your own tailored shirts and suits etc etc et
LOL! The finest pair of John Lobbs or Vass in which the craftsman has no doubt bled over all while stitching the welt and costing $2,000 does not even come close to approaching the machine made $30,000 digital back that no matter how many roses it photographs will never have a soul.

I want well made, but they are going to have to figure out another way to make a tool for a professional trade, not a trinket for a collector.

P.S.
I wear Allen Edmonds because they get the job done at sensible prices.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter
I find that extremely offensive
It doesn't sound like a joke
it doesn't look like a joke
it doesn't smell like a joke:thumbdown:

Nobody is calling you names.
Jono,

this is only your problem if you are outing yourself here :D

Stay calm, the S2 is not worth such silly fights :thumbs:

Status