The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN WITH LEICA S2 IMAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

ffffffffff . . . . takes deep breath! :mad: :( :eek: :)
At least, it seems like there really will be some S2 images from production cameras to look at soon (from David Farkas and the other demonstrations).

Let's hope we can all have some fun with them.

Last edited:

LJL

Then comes the next tough question.....what to use for processing? C1 may be the choice, but if there is no support.... Then there is LR2, which is the shipping product with the S2, but it is not so great, as many know. However, there is now a LR3 beta, but it does not say anything about S2 files. Not to worry, we will get something figured out....

Hey, if nothing else, we may have some new things to fret over and discuss with such great and maybe misplaced passion ;-) (Nobody get upset, please....just trying a bit of humor to keep tensions lowered.)

LJ

jonoslack

Then comes the next tough question.....what to use for processing? C1 may be the choice, but if there is no support.... Then there is LR2, which is the shipping product with the S2, but it is not so great, as many know. However, there is now a LR3 beta, but it does not say anything about S2 files. Not to worry, we will get something figured out....

LJ
I wonder if C1 will support it . . I'd guess that they will, it's one thing not wanting to ship with it, but something else not to support it. They were first off the block with the M9 (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll not be getting an S2, but I'll certainly be playing with files. If C1 won't open them yet (which I suspect), then Aperture certainly should, and Lightroom will as well. Both of these do a reasonable job with the M9 files, so I guess they will with the S2 files as well.

carstenw

I wonder if C1 will work on the files out of the box, without special support of course, or if not, if using the Adobe DNG converter would make it work?

Anyway, Lightroom 3 is meant to have noticeably improved noise reduction, so if they really deliver that, it would strike one of my 3 complaints about LR for high-end IQ. Working a bit with colour profiles and careful tuning with 24-path colour checkers might strike another, leaving just the sharpening, which can be done in another program if needed. It might then be possible to have a high-end workflow based on LR, which is an interesting option.

jonoslack

HI Carsten
I wonder if C1 will work on the files out of the box, without special support of course, or if not, if using the Adobe DNG converter would make it work?
It's possible, but I don't think that C1 has generic .dng support, so I suspect not. However, C1 supported the M9 almost from the day of launch, so maybe they'll support the S2 as well.
Anyway, Lightroom 3 is meant to have noticeably improved noise reduction, so if they really deliver that, it would strike one of my 3 complaints about LR for high-end IQ. Working a bit with colour profiles and careful tuning with 24-path colour checkers might strike another, leaving just the sharpening, which can be done in another program if needed. It might then be possible to have a high-end workflow based on LR, which is an interesting option.
I wonder - I've stuck with Aperture because of the (IMHO) better DAM features and 'conversion'. Lightroom does have advantages though, not least Apple's apparent lack of interest in supporting new cameras . . . .well, old cameras too :cry:
Changing over is such a big thing though, with a properly keyworded library of 30,000 pictures - not something to make a snap decision about!

mtomalty

Personally, I don't think Cap 1 will support native Raw files from the S2
The S2 has to be determined by them as directly competitive to their
Phase and Leaf branded backs and to support makes no sense.

The M9, or any hi MP count DSLR, do not compete directly in the same arena as
the Phase family of backs regardless of what quality differences any of us see

carstenw

I think that to stop C1 from supporting the S2 in a generic fashion would require some active coding, unless Jono is right, and there is simply no DNG support in place, other than special code for the M8/M9.

Jono, can you not export as DNG with all your modifications included?

Nick-T

Guys you appear to be talking about photography related things.

Can we just drop all this photo talk and get back to arguing?

Thanks in advance
Nick-T

robsteve

Subscriber
Changing over is such a big thing though, with a properly keyworded library of 30,000 pictures - not something to make a snap decision about!
Jono:

Can't you write the keywords into the image files and then import these into lightroom?

In Lightroom there is the option to write or read this info from the file.

In other words, have Aperture just write these keywords into the metadata of the file and then import all the files into lightroom and then use the read metadata from files option to get the key words into your lightroom relational database.

Robert

jonoslack

I think that to stop C1 from supporting the S2 in a generic fashion would require some active coding, unless Jono is right, and there is simply no DNG support in place, other than special code for the M8/M9.

Jono, can you not export as DNG with all your modifications included?
HI Carsten
I think you can do that (huge files), but I don't think they have 'generic' dng support which will open any dng file. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

On the other hand, as far as I know there has been no 'falling out' between Leica and C1 over this (and I don't 'KNOW' anything other than what I've read on the net and implied from an obvious collaboration over the M9). Simply that a conflict of interests (obvious) meant that shipping C1 with the S2 would be odd - hence the change to Lightroom.

If this is the case I would have thought that:
1. Phase would be okay with supporting the S2 together with other competitors
2. Leica would be pleased with the support.

But I'm only guessing here.

jonoslack

Jono:

Can't you write the keywords into the image files and then import these into lightroom?

In Lightroom there is the option to write or read this info from the file.

Robert
HI Robert
Yes indeed . . . . but not the modifications you've made. The Albums, the web pages, the books, the slideshows . . . .

robsteve

Subscriber
For Phase to support the S2, they would also have to have access to pre-production, development work of the S2. Leica may not have wanted this since Phase is a competitor. After the S2 is out and shipping it may not matter.

Robert

robsteve

Subscriber
HI Robert
Yes indeed . . . . but not the modifications you've made. The Albums, the web pages, the books, the slideshows . . . .
You can always keep the two programs. Lightroom will import the files from their current location without moving them.

Robert

LJL

You can always keep the two programs. Lightroom will import the files from their current location without moving them.

Robert
If the originals have been imported into the Aperture Library, you cannot easily get to them from Lightroom. You can, but the threads to get their would be a PITA to keep working with. The one option that I have used is to keep the original files in the file folder structure that I have used before Aperture, LR and other DAM apps. Then you just point to those as being linked, and you are able to work on them in Aperture and LR, I would presume.

That requires having those folders live when you are in Aperture if you wanted to do anything besides just see the previews. (This is still a very helpful thing, as I can keep tons of files in external storage, which allows me to get at them with any app, but the previews get imported in Aperture, which I can then take with me on the laptop and show clients, etc. I just cannot make changes that will be stored at that time.)

Jono, I am feeling the same bit of quandry about LR versus Aperture. I still like Aperture for lots of things that LR still cannot do, but Apple has not been keeping the update effort going there as they originally did. They will probably catch up with new profiles in a while (they go to the OS so they can be used in iPhoto and other apps as part of the CoreImage structure), but it is a bit frustrating not to have things updated (faster or at all) for some cameras.

LJ

LJL

Phase has a S2 for testing from what Leica told me.
Well, that could be very good news. Phase is not just competing with Leica on the S2 front, as has been mentioned, but they are also competing with Adobe on the processing side of things. Since LR3 may not be out for 4-6 months, Phase can make some real advances with folks by having some of their nicely tuned profiles in their next release of C1. Not knowing if they will or not, but it would just seem like a very natural extension for them to provide it for all those techs that may have to work with any S2 rentals they may run into.

Keeping fingers crossed on that front.:toocool:

LJ

jonoslack

If the originals have been imported into the Aperture Library, you cannot easily get to them from Lightroom. You can, but the threads to get their would be a PITA to keep working with. The one option that I have used is to keep the original files in the file folder structure that I have used before Aperture, LR and other DAM apps. Then you just point to those as being linked, and you are able to work on them in Aperture and LR, I would presume.

That requires having those folders live when you are in Aperture if you wanted to do anything besides just see the previews. (This is still a very helpful thing, as I can keep tons of files in external storage, which allows me to get at them with any app, but the previews get imported in Aperture, which I can then take with me on the laptop and show clients, etc. I just cannot make changes that will be stored at that time.)

Jono, I am feeling the same bit of quandry about LR versus Aperture. I still like Aperture for lots of things that LR still cannot do, but Apple has not been keeping the update effort going there as they originally did. They will probably catch up with new profiles in a while (they go to the OS so they can be used in iPhoto and other apps as part of the CoreImage structure), but it is a bit frustrating not to have things updated (faster or at all) for some cameras.

LJ
HI There
We're obviously in the same position - I've kept my files out of the Aperture library in my own file structure, so there really isn't a problem pointing Lightroom to the same files . . . the problem is all the modifications, albums etc.

When Apple were a few months behind with cameras, I was just irritated, but these days they seem to be years behind (still no support for the d-lux4, G1 etc.) it wouldn't be so bad if they actually gave us some information about it, but it's silence as usual. I was hoping that the new core support would come with Snow Leopard, but, instead of that our printers don't work!

What's always stopped me in the past is that the RAW support for cameras like the M8 and the A900 just hasn't been so good as Aperture, but LR3 looks different.

I was hoping that Phase would put the DAM features into C1 5, but apparently not!

jonoslack

Phase has a S2 for testing from what Leica told me.
Hi There Guy
Thanks for that - I hadn't asked the question, but the fact that they had an M9 early on in the process suggested to me that they would have an S2 as well.

So there should be good support from C1 and Lightroom, and generic support in Aperture (and there generic support is pretty good anyway).

Sounds like a reasonable start!

Status
Not open for further replies.