The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN WITH LEICA S2 IMAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy's our internet just stinks at the moment. These posts we sparingly have made are 5 minutes just to get on the site. We are moving south today to Gold Beach Oregon and hopefully get better internet. So deleting is just not in the cards at the moment but also this is a reminder to us all that chest thumping about Leica, Mamiya, Phase , Hassy serves NO purpose to begin with. Hey if your a fanboy of a certain brand that is great but keeping a open mind is even better and lets face a a fact no one in MF is really going to trump anyone one else in a lot of ways we are all using maybe 3 different sensors to begin with that are all basically the same as well. What will make the difference is good lenses , great software and features that makes sense to your style. Obviously lets not forget dealer service , support , repairs and all that stuff as well. I'm with Marc on this what really is the point of it all. Seriously how many are actually going to buy it to begin with . Not to say not talk about it but getting correct data than brand wars is truly what we are after and having friends here is even better than the brand or product. But I was and am a Leica fan too but just the word Leica can be dangerous on any forum. Now lets not forget Hassy and Phase have been taking the heat for a LONG time as well. Nothing escapes the scourge on any system. Not everyone agrees this Leica is the chosen ONE either. Many valid points for and against it on many levels. No system can escape that

D

David A

A camera is a tool, nothing more nothing less. It could be made by Fred Blogs for all I care as long as it gets the job done with as little fuss as possible and with the quality that I want. You don't get this sort of bikering in other professions can you see a couple of joiners arguing over which is better Bosh or Black & Decker?

David K

Workshop Member
okay, I will use my yousendit acct and link to my dropbox
there are 2 shots, one from the 70mm and one from the 180mm, straight from camera to lightroom and exported as dng..
keep in mind that I just walked up and was handed the camera and fired away..
the made it easy with a tech there and lighting was already set, iso 160 which their baseline.. I did not try a pull to 80 or a higher iso's - maybe someone else can show a higher asa shot.
background was blk foamcore about 5 ft behind the model and was not pure black.

Thank you.

gogopix

Subscriber
Am I missing something?
I just downloaded the two S2 DNG files and they opened fine in C1 4.8.1

and they look great! Lots of depth and separation. Ok, I am a know fan of the "3-D" look but it is certainly there. (Hair litteraly stands out from the face, etc.)

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Ok, I see my error... I didn't immediately zoom to 100% on a laptop, with 72/lpi to see the REAL quality

I looked at the whole frame; top down? really nice drawing, good edges without a feeling of 'sharpening' every bit as good as a Phase back (but not the P65+ resolution.

Maybe the lighting helped, but you can sense the hollow area between cheek and hair in #2. Actually seemed a bit more dimensional than a lot of the MF images I've seen, maybe DR, maybe Leica glass, more likely just a combination of good qualities.

If this quality pans out, in a compact SEALED package, with good Leica glass, and rugged... it will be a fine product, and if you want the small, sealed package, well, there isn't a competitor.

If the AF actually works, that would be a bonus.:thumbup:

Victor

mtomalty

Well Guy,

It appears the majority seems to find this thread inappropriate and maybe it is time
to put it to death.
Once legitimate S2 images start rolling in it would might be confusing to have this
thread title tied up without any images.

I vote you delete it or retitle it, "NO FUN WITH LEICA S2 IMAGES"

Mark

www.marktomalty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.