The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN WITH LEICA S2 IMAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephengilbert

NDA? And why is that? They're so good that it would be unfair to Phase and Hassy? They keep promising cameras and files. So the cameras are delayed for some reason or other. Why are the files delayed? I recently saw an online interview with a Hasselblad exec saying they'd changed the terms of an upgrade offer (or something) because of customer complaints. Does Leica do that?

KETCH ROSSI

I imagine that you are kidding on the NDA question but for those that might not know, NDA stands for "NONE DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT" generally executed during any proceedings to test and or develop any type of product for which secrecy is a need and must.

But they are several images floating around, just not RAW files.

My main reason for liking the S2 is its shape as I have been using such bodies for the past twenty or so years, and the lenses off course, the rest remains to be seen.

mtomalty

My main reason for liking the S2 is its shape .
Then you certainly won't be disappointed :>))

BTW, I see you have a P30+ for sale over at LumLand.
Hopefully, you haven't changed your mind in anticipation of the S2 ?

FYI, I got to use an S2 a couple of weeks ago but agreed not to share
images as the body/lens was preprod.

I can say, though, that the camera, ergonomically, was the best 'feeling'
medium format camera I've ever owned/used maybe with the exception
of the Mamiya 7 but that is sort of in a different class.

S2 files were excellent but, objectively, no better, no worse than
anything I have from equivalent Phase,Leaf,or Hasselblad backs from the
last 5 years.

Mark

www.marktomalty.com

stephengilbert

I was only half kidding. I know what an NDA is, and I understand that people limited by one can't publish embargoed information. My serious question is why does Leica insist that files from its S2 camera be secret? They claim the camera is essentially finished, that production changes require another delay. Surely they aren't making changes to the camera or its firmware? That's not what they're saying in their most recent delay explanation.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(snip) My serious question is why does Leica insist that files from its S2 camera be secret? (snip)
Most likely for the very same reason the camera has been delayed, i.e. probably still some unsolved problems, would be my best guess ;)
And personally I think it is a very wise move to postpone the production until the camera is ready.
We have seen that many times before with other brands as well. It's nothing unusual and nothing to be ashamed of. In my opinion.

jonoslack

My serious question is why does Leica insist that files from its S2 camera be secret?
Well, it might be Steen's reason (more work to be done - and I quite agree with him if that's the case). But they were very happy for preprod files from the M9 to be published . . . just not until the camera was shipping, so it would be entirely consistent for them to say the same this time.

carstenw

I guess once the S2 ships we will see what gets published. Given the focused, often negative nature of the web and forums, I can understand why they don't want anything published. The slightest negative thing in an image is likely to blow out of all proportion. Once the camera comes out, the continuous stream of images will prevent that sort of occurrence.

So, where are the test photos from the new Phase/Schneider lenses?

KETCH ROSSI

Then you certainly won't be disappointed :>))

BTW, I see you have a P30+ for sale over at LumLand.
Hopefully, you haven't changed your mind in anticipation of the S2 ?

FYI, I got to use an S2 a couple of weeks ago but agreed not to share
images as the body/lens was preprod.

I can say, though, that the camera, ergonomically, was the best 'feeling'
medium format camera I've ever owned/used maybe with the exception
of the Mamiya 7 but that is sort of in a different class.

S2 files were excellent but, objectively, no better, no worse than
anything I have from equivalent Phase,Leaf,or Hasselblad backs from the
last 5 years.

Mark

www.marktomalty.com
Yes Mark definitely the fill of the S2 (with the Grip on) fills AMAZINGLY WELL in your hands, I'm a little guy, but have very Big hands, so I really like Big Grips on Cameras, and the Canon 1D series fit well in my hands, but the S2 is in a class of its on as far as ergonomics.

The Leica Lenses are the second strongest reason to like this system.

The reason for having posted the newly acquired P30+ system was do to my Partner's, I have currently retracted that sale and hope to get things right and be able to keep it, if not will be back on sale tomorrow :(

I was only half kidding. I know what an NDA is, and I understand that people limited by one can't publish embargoed information. My serious question is why does Leica insist that files from its S2 camera be secret? They claim the camera is essentially finished, that production changes require another delay. Surely they aren't making changes to the camera or its firmware? That's not what they're saying in their most recent delay explanation.

Yes I imagined you were :)

The S2 is still by all means a Prototype, and an unfinished one by that, and the reason for their delay on delivery is by far cause of the high number of orders, but because they are still finishing up, at list this is my personal opinion, not a fact btw, want to make sure you guys know that :)

mtomalty

The slightest negative thing in an image is likely to blow out of all proportion.
Certainly this would be one consideration but with the number of
prototypes and Leica allied testers of the S2 in circulation surely there
must be a handful of RAWs Leica could be willing to release to
satisfy those curious and/or considering the system.

These files could hardly do any more damage than adamantly declaring
the product shipping in the summer of 2009,then the autumn, and now
the winter. No?

So, where are the test photos from the new Phase/Schneider lenses?
They've been announced but not delayed yet.

Mark

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The issue I see is, that Leica claims since the announcement of the S System the S2 IQ would be superior to anything else.

They are still not able to show any images in RAW (DNG) - not even images which are taken under perfect conditions, lightning etc.

I argue that these images must be available and the simply are not shown, because the IQ is not better or even equal to Hassi 39 or 50 backs or Phase 45, 40 or 65 Plus backs.

Shame on Leica! At least they should be careful when announcing things how to do wording and phrasing. And also on their rare customer / press events :cool:

carstenw

They've been announced but not delayed yet.
? I was asking for photos, not lenses. There is a lot of demand in this forum/thread for photos from the S2, and some talk of Leica not being able to deliver on time, and some sales therefore going to Phase and the new LS lenses. However, the new Phase lenses are not ready either, and no photos are being released, other than the 80mm. Are there two separate standards at work here? Why is no one demanding test photos from the new Phase lenses? When are the lenses coming? Before the Leica S2?

paulmoore

I heard that today the press will get free access to a production model here in ny, some samples of the S2 then will be here shortly.. but some will say until it is their hands or available at the local camera shop it is still a ghost.

jonoslack

Really Peter
The issue I see is, that Leica claims since the announcement of the S System the S2 IQ would be superior to anything else.

They are still not able to show any images in RAW (DNG) - not even images which are taken under perfect conditions, lightning etc.
How do YOU know they are 'not able to' couldn't it possibly be that they 'don't choose to'. Just like there were no released images from the M9 until the day it was shipping.
I argue that these images must be available and the simply are not shown, because the IQ is not better or even equal to Hassi 39 or 50 backs or Phase 45, 40 or 65 Plus backs.
Do you know this?
Or are you simply guessing?
David has plenty of images which he will show you personally, but which he can't publicise YET . . . he is an honest guy, and he isn't a fool, so he wouldn't be saying they were good, if they weren't.
Shame on Leica! At least they should be careful when announcing things how to do wording and phrasing. And also on their rare customer / press events :cool:
Surely they should be allowed to organise their launch the way they see fit. If the IQ isn't good enough, then we will know soon enough.

As Bondo says - perhaps you should delay your verdict until you've seen the files.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Sheesh. All this is just so much speculation. Isn't anyone else besides me encouraged by the surprise of the M9 and its apparently smooth and tasty implementation? I find that to be very reassuring and helps me believe Leica knows what they're doing. Maybe I'm simply smitten by Blind Faith (an outstanding band!).

jonoslack

Sheesh. All this is just so much speculation. Isn't anyone else besides me encouraged by the surprise of the M9 and its apparently smooth and tasty implementation? I find that to be very reassuring and helps me believe Leica knows what they're doing. Maybe I'm simply smitten by Blind Faith (an outstanding band!).
I'm afraid that I Had to Cry today about Leica's late delivery, and now I Can't Find My Way Home. . . . Well Alright, in the Presence of the Lord the new S2 is likely to put us all into a Sea of Joy. . . . .

Oh yes, and I quite agree with you on all counts:p

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm afraid that I Had to Cry today about Leica's late delivery, and now I Can't Find My Way Home. . . . Well Alright, in the Presence of the Lord the new S2 is likely to put us all into a Sea of Joy. . . . .

Oh yes, and I quite agree with you on all counts:p
Ha! A fan I see. I'll continue to believe that the S2 will NOT be Born Under A Bad Sign!

Status
Not open for further replies.