The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stitching with 72mm on CamboWRS & Sinar54LV

carstenw

Thanks Don! I think i am definitely going for the 47mm with a tethered back and small laptop.
Tethering is via Firewire, btw, so factor in that the laptop must either have Firewire natively (400 or 800, they are compatible protocols, and you can buy 400 cables with an 800 end), or it must have a PC-Card slot.

Don Libby

Aaron

I think the t/s option is the way to go and yes you can have it retrofitted to a lens of your choice. The answer to your question is that it becomes a part of the lens so yes, if you have 3 lenses you'll have to have each one retrofitted.

I just recently got an old Dell XPS 12" laptop working again and will use this as to shoot tethered once C1 will allow it in 64bit mode.

Don

Aaron

Thanks for all the info on this guys!

So where am i with this?

The Sinar54 back i intended on buying was listed as stolen when i checked its history, so that was the end of that:shocked: if the price is too good to be true...........

I then decided to purchase a new aptus22, i managed to borrow an older aptus back which appears to have the same spec and did some testing on a mamiya, i loved the files but now realise a higher res back may be the wiser route long term. A 22meg would do what i need if flat stitching but a higher res back would be usable for regular studio work on a non-tech camera.
So now i am researching what the options are, there seems to be very few backs on the second hand market at the moment. I dont have the balls to purchase a new one, it would be an indulgence on my part as my nikons cover 99% of what i regularily do.

I still plan on going with the WRS but also realise now that i need ALL of the lenses! But still will get the 47mm first. It seems impossible to get the new t/s version yet.

So thats all well and good but i needed to get a job done! Last week i shot the first installment of my project on 8x10 film just to see what i could get with that route (and to buy some time with my artist client), I did some contact prints in a dusty old darkroom that hadnt been used in years. the prints were amazing, totally blew me away. I will scan the film for enlargement.
But just let me say, those few 8x10 contact prints are sitting beside me now and they haunt me with their quality. They are small (closer to 7.5x9.5) but it just looks like you could put your hand into the scene, hard to describe.
Thats all a bit off topic but interesting none the less.

The danger with experimenting with new cameras and techniques is that the list of things you need to purchase just gets longer and longer.

Aaron

What are your resolution needs? 22MP will get you quite far, further than with a DSLR.
Yes, i dont question resolution of the 22MP back, for this project in particular it would be excellent when combined on a stitching back.

I just think when it comes to using it for regular work then a 33 or 39MP would give me more options on a blad or mamiya. I have a nikon system and while the aptus 22 i tried gives a superior file, its just not that superior. So to warrant investing in a mfd it just makes more sense for me to go higher res.

How much resoultion do i actually need, 99% of the time 10MP would cover it! but the other 1% is what has me spending all my time on the net reaseraching how to get more!

carstenw

It is just that there is a noticeable jump in price from 22MP to 30MP, about 50% or so. If you could do with two-shot stitches for that last 1%, you could save a lot of money on the back and put that into lenses or cameras.