The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica S2 System and Image Quality

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
NOT. LOL

I'm actually very happy with my system but certainly always looking for the next best thing. I like the P40+ back and i do like the concept of the S2 but keeping a open mind on this stuff is more important. Coming back from Oregon shooting these backs including my own you realize just how good MF shooting is with the files. The detail is just amazing. Most people will look at the s2 at the detail and make their decision what they don't realize is all the backs and systems do the same thing. One point that people don't realize as well is the S2 is a smaller sensor and with that 5.6 is not the same compared with a bigger back so 5.6 maybe more like F8. We all know this in 35mm going up to MF that that difference maybe a good two stops or more. So a normal lens like on the S2 compared to a bigger sensor like a P45 or 65 will be totally different just in the DOF and same aperture. I say this because I already am reading some ill informed comments from some folks on other forums. Same applies to corner sharpness 5.6 or F8 will be different animals on different size sensor systems.

LJL

Victor,
The link you sent shows 17 folks had offered a 1-5 star quick "rating" on the S2, but there are no reviews yet written/submitted for it in their presentations.

LJ

G

gdwhalen

It's ridiculous for anyone to give that poll any credibility and it is stupid to even run the poll in the first place. At least until the camera is released. What is the point? :thumbdown:

LJL

It's ridiculous for anyone to give that poll any credibility and it is stupid to even run the poll in the first place. At least until the camera is released. What is the point? :thumbdown:
I am agreeing with you here, and hence my asking what the point of the posting was all about. There is nothing to review. It is nothing more than folks casting a vote on something they may think or feel about the camera. Heck, there are more than 17-20 folks on this forum that have done the same, but maybe with a lot more words supporting their positions. That poll is NOT a list of "reviews" as was suggested. I think it worthless also. :thumbdown: Just more static....

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Update i will have camera in hand full production model the first week of December. Will know exact dates next week so i can schedule some shoots with it for testing.

Guy, you may want to brush up on your Lightroom skills because I think you will find it to be better with the S2 than C1. Then again I haven't tried C1 ver. 5 with my S2 files so maybe it's different now.

Guy Mancuso

I'll download a trail version when it gets close but by than I expect updates to both programs. Trying to bring Jack over for these tests as well so we can do it together.

Sounds like a good idea. I am sure you already have an idea of certain things you want to test out on the S2 as you have on other cameras you have tested. I am especially interested in comparison to other similarly priced MF systems in terms of ISO performance, dynamic range, lens performance (e. g., corners, distorsion, etc.), and slow shutter speed hand holdability. I got to try the S2 myself in NYC last week, but only a few minutes with the camera is not enough time to pass judgement. As a result I wil do a more in depth hands on and read as many other reviews as possible before I commit money to the system. What I have seen so far looks promising.

Guy Mancuso

Coming up with a plan as we speak on what I want to shoot. Also looking at getting a P40+ back from the CI folks to use besides my P30+. Would like a 6 micron back for this and basically same sensor size. Makes comparisons on a more equal and balanced level. Very hard to compare systems to begin with so keeping it simple is the ticket.

carstenw

P40+ vs. S2 sounds like a good match. Might even want to throw in an H3DII-50 to test Leica's claims :) Which lenses? The Leica 70mm is a lot more expensive (and presumably therefore in another league) compared to most normal lenses, which are old designs mostly. It would be great to compare the Leica 180mm vs. Phase 150D.

fotografz

P40+ vs. S2 sounds like a good match. Might even want to throw in an H3DII-50 to test Leica's claims :) Which lenses? The Leica 70mm is a lot more expensive (and presumably therefore in another league) compared to most normal lenses, which are old designs mostly. It would be great to compare the Leica 180mm vs. Phase 150D.
If you test a H3D-II/50 ... use the HC 100/2.2 ;)

Guy Mancuso

Leica 180mm vs. Phase 150D. NO QUESTION

Maybe by than the new LS 80mm will be out

Marc shooting white lace just for you bud

Jack and I will come up with a good plan that makes sense for sure.

Guy Mancuso

I don't think so either but hey no one believes these lenses even exist never mind be good at anything. :D:D:D

carstenw

Well, if you want to compare the 80D and Leica 70mm, don't forget to test at the near limit, and test the corners wide open, in addition to the usual stuff. I would be surprised if there was not a noticeable difference, but let's see.

Guy Mancuso

Well The s2 will no doubt given the same F stop will have sharper corners because we are dealing with a smaller sensor and reason why I want a P40+ since the difference is only 8 percent sensor size. This gets a bit tricky since they are not identical. Question is will 8 percent size make a difference here. This is the closet size to the s2 any other back like a H50, P45,P65, H39 we throw in a curve ball. Most people are not even thinking about this situation.