The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H3DII-39 samples

tjv

Hello.
Anyone out there have any H3DII-39 raw file samples I can look at to assess image quality? I've downloaded the images off the Hasselblad website but I can't open fff files in Lightroom. If anyone could point me in the direction of a converted 39 DNG file I'd be really appreciative. Would also appreciate any 39mp equiv files from Phase.

Thanks guys.

Tim

tjv

Downloaded Raw Developer and it seems to be able to open them.
Man, the files tones look great. Lots of detail and dynamic range. Typical camera promo shots of course, but impressive none the less.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Don't know where you are located, but we'd be happy to help you get P45+ or P40+ files (both 39mp) to compare.

Call or email our office (or post here) the sorts of subject matter, body, lens and we'll see what we can find closest to your needs. We try to avoid "typical marketing shots".

Best of all of course would be to come to a dealer like us or to a workshop like a GetDPI workshop where you can shoot your own example files! NOTHING will ever make more sense than your own hands on experience. After all, if you bought such a system it will be YOU who will be shooting it.

To be fair to that Hasselblad file you should use Phocus to open it which you can download from Hasselblad's website. Similarily to be fair to a Phase file you should open it in Capture One. We'd be happy to step you through the basics of Capture One to get you started. That said Raw Developer is a great program.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

tjv

Hi Doug.
I live in New Zealand, so that's where things get difficult for me. Sales and support here is a little thin, even for Phase One. To be honest, I don't have the money to buy right now but am trying to get my finances together to make the jump within the next year. I've also been looking at second hand but I'm paranoid about reliability and warranty. There are a couple of guys here that shoot with a P45+ and I'm impressed with their output, it's just I'm so used to shooting film and its tonal response that 35mm digital files don't look right to me. I'm thinking the extra latitude and dynamic range of MF digi may help in this regard.
Tim

Jeffg53

Hi Tim, have you contacted Nick T? He is in Auckland. I can send you files but they will be landscapes with lots of blurry water bits, not a lot of good if you are a product photographer. Anyway, I'm happy to help. I wouldn't want to give you DNG. The general consensus is that TIF or PSD out of Phocus is the way to go. You can download Phocus and experiment with the raw files.

tjv

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the offer. I'm located in lowly Christchurch so I'm even further out of the loop than Auckland! The big lights of Sydney, where it seems you're located, make us seem out of the dark ages at times. I don't know Nick T, but then again I'm not in the commercial world as such. I'm a documentary photographer, although I make most of my money teaching. I photograph mainly what many would call environmental portraits and usually work on long projects. I'm looking for something to replace my Mamiya 7 kit as I've grown tired of both film and rangefinders. No one here does C-type printing anymore and drum scanning is getting more expensive by the day plus harder to get done properly as each skilled technician drops off the radar. I see much of your work is square format, so I'm assuming you still shoot a bit of film? How's the situation in Australia for processing and printing and how do you rate the Hassey digi experience? Do you find the dynamic range and highlight drop off easy to manage compared to E6?
Thanks again.
Tim

PeterA

Nick T will be your man - send him a message here and you two will be able to hook up no doubt - should be able to show you a range of files from the commercial work he does.

Sorry I am outta sheep shots for you Kiwis.
Pete-:)

Jeffg53

Hi Tim. I only shoot digital now but I know that E6 processing in Sydney is getting harder. I think that The Lab and Vision Graphics have combined their processing. My squares come from the 39MP back. It produces a superb 27MP square. I started with a V96C and then the H3D. I haven't tried Phase or Leaf, and have no desire to do so. I bought Hasselblad based on my V series experience, and have never regretted that decision. The digital files are superb, just beautiful detail and colour, and no bloody grain or dags from processing lines. The whole system does everything that I could ask, and the support from Hasselblad is exceptional.

I don't think that you would miss the Mamiya after the first day, but you might need a larger tripod.

Anyway, if any of my images look like they might be of interest, let me know.

Nick-T

Hi tjv
Thanks for the kind words Jeff and Peter.
Tjv for sure come and see me if you get up to Auckland, I can show you around the H system and software though I only have a lowly 31MP back. We can also look at the files from the Hasselblad site here. Failing that give me a ring next week (phone number on my website) and I can answer any questions you might have.
Cheers
Nick-T

tjv

Thanks Nick.
I'm up in Auckland in January so I'll hope to get in contact with you before then. In reality, the 31mp back is probably all I need anyway and I'm more interested in the H system and how it handles than MP count.
Thanks for the offer.
I'll call or email soon.
Tim

tjv

Thanks Nick.
I'm up in Auckland in January so I'll hope to get in contact with you before then. In reality, the 31mp back is probably all I need anyway and I'm more interested in the H system and how it handles than MP count.
Thanks for the offer.
I'll call or email soon.
Tim