The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

http://www.hassynyc.com/

G

gdwhalen

Not sure why I would want to follow three other photographers around as they shoot. But maybe I missed something.

Nick-T

Not sure why I would want to follow three other photographers around as they shoot. But maybe I missed something.
Good point I guess it's not really aimed at you but more at 35mm users contemplating the jump... In any case I think it will create a good buzz around the brand.

carstenw

My initial impression is that the front page is confusing, and following some random links, it seems that not everything is quite ready yet. Some of the numbered links on Victoria's page don't bring up images, for example.

I love the two shots of the guy in the dingy apartment. On the other hand, I find some of the Perinaldo shots surprisingly ordinary, something that could be done with a 5D2 or a GF1.

Mixed impressions, so far. I will look into more detail in the next day or two.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The whole impression is just confusion - nothing else - maybe this is intention!

Anyway I prefer much more structured and clear pages and advertisements.

Also I am not too much impressed by the images displayed, they are good, but not outstanding IMHO.

Seems that Hasselblad is trying to make a lot of noise nowadays, maybe they are getting a bit nervous as the competition is strong (Phase) and some new competition is coming (Leica)? Well the MF market is a pretty small playground ;)

vieri

The first six images (up to and including all the Perinaldo series) are really not up to snuff IMO (to be polite), one wonders why they are there at all. The next ones are definitely better, though - if they don't have 18 good images, I'd suggest some editing and just post the good 12 they have, it would make a much stronger impression :D

Besides, the "Challenge-between-the-three-dudes" idea is not bad, but it might have been working better if they'd inaugurated the site it once the challenge were done, not before. Now one opens the photographers' pages and clicking to each image number one gets an irritating "stay tuned" message: I am not sure why I should get back to the site every day to see what some guy posts in the "Image handling - Ease of use" challenge or so... :sleep006:

So, overall mixed judgement - some good pictures and some good ideas, paired with some terrible pictures (let's be honest!) and some not so good ideas. I would have expected more, but will check it out in a week or so to see if they fixed something :D

mtomalty

Nick

The idea, in theory, is decent, but the execution fails on almost every level.

The design and navigation from the homepage should win awards for about the
sloppiest in the history of the web.
Unfortunately, none of the three photographers bring anything to the table that
50,000 other NYC couldn't also bring.

Put the camera into the hands of pro photographers with a little more name
recognition and set them loose and then I think Hasselblad might create a buzz
around the their brand.

Mark

www.marktomalty.com

PeterA

Thanks Nick - some terrific shots on the site it is fun to see how each respond to their challenges - i suspect Victoria will blow them away - Hasselblad continue to move down the "it is about the photograph" road re their on line brand building, i also like the way hasselblad arent afraid to use relatively 'ordinary' people in their brand - and that is good.

Nick-T

Good feedback guys thank you. i think it's a good effort for a first time out. I think the concept will be extended in the US initially, follow the tweets to find out when.

I'll pass on your comments.
Cheers
Nick-T

The photographers were selected because they are young and up and coming. All were using 35mm DLSR and were loaned an H3DII39 to create images based on challenges posed by Hasselblad. Their proficiency with the camera and subsequent imagery will come in time, no doubt in my mind, they are pretty sharp individuals. Please give them a chance.

Hasselblad does offer other avenues for the seasoned professional, The Masters program or the publication Victor by Hasselblad etc.

The numbers below the photographs that appear to be blank are for future challenge images.

Thank you for your feedback, I will pass it on to our HUSA marketing dept.

Paul

Nick-T

Hi Paul
Good to see you again!
I think it's a great concept that will only get better, there are some more pics up there now and you can see the progression as they get used to the cameras.
Nick-T