The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back to Roll Film with the ALPA SWA -advices...

steflaurent974

Hello,

I love to shoot the Alpa with the P25+, but sometimes I feel a little frustrated by the little 36X48mm window of the digital back.

I would like to go for a 6x9 rollfilm back, I have two choices :

1) The ALPA 6X9
2) The Alpa Linhof super rollex 6X9

Any advices or preference ? :confused:

Stephane.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Stephane,

Advantages of Alpa 6x9 are weight and automation.

Linhoff SR 6x9 is robust and feels like it should last forever.

If 6x8 would do buy the Mamiya RB67 Auto 6x8 back and a
Mamiya film back adapter for your SWA...it duplicates the Alpa 6x9
function at 1/2 to 2/3 the price. Like new Mamiya Auto 6x8s can be found for a couple of hundred USD.

Mamiya sources the Alpa Auto 6x9 back.

Bob

MFnLF

Either Alpa or Linhof RF back is very expensive. I use an Alpa-Horseman adapter (about $500 USD) with Horseman 6x9 backs.

steflaurent974

Thanks for your advices, I asked my dealer about the ALPA back , it costs 2650€ ex VTA !!! Must be in gold !!!

I already owned a Mammiya back adapter, maybe I should go for the mammiya 6X8 one...I have to study the exact format, as I was going for a more rectangular thing 6x9.
Actually the 6x9 is 53x84mm.

Stephane

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks for your advices, I asked my dealer about the ALPA back , it costs 2650€ ex VTA !!! Must be in gold !!!

I already owned a Mammiya back adapter, maybe I should go for the mammiya 6X8 one...I have to study the exact format, as I was going for a more rectangular thing 6x9.
Actually the 6x9 is 53x84mm.

Stephane
Crop 6x8 to 5.333x8 or 5x7.5 is equivalent to 6x9. Good scans make this a large very workable file in spite of the crop.

3x4 is more common with newer digital MF, 2x3 is akin to 35mm format.

Bob

steflaurent974

Well, I feel a little dumb, I didn't think of the crop : thanks Bob for your brillant idea.:deadhorse:

Big savings in perspective, the solution might be in the Mamyia motorized 6x8 back... !

PSon

From what I hear the Alpa film back is very precise and flat on the Alpa camera. I am almost considering getting this film back for my TC/XY. The Cambo wide DS will take 4x5 film back which is very nice as well but I do not recommend my method since you have to get two different sets of lens for two sets of systems. I also have the Sinar Handy camera and it takes 4x5 film back or 120/220 roll film via Sinar zoom2 back.

Last edited:

carstenw

Btw, a little background for those who are not aware, the following smilie:

:deadhorse:

matches the English expression "flogging a dead horse", or "beating a dead horse" in America, I think (apparently Americans don't flog :)), which means roughly to go over and over the same already-resolved argument, especially in a manner which contradicts the existing resolution. The original context was a politician comparing trying to raise interest for a certain act in parliament to "flogging a dead horse to pull a load". Clearly the dead horse cannot pull the load, no matter how much it is flogged...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flogging_a_dead_horse

Now that I have said this, please return to using the smilie creatively :)