The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why am I getting multiple whiskers?

gogopix

Subscriber
anything that vibrates with sinusoudal motion will spend more time at the ends. Ever look at a vibrating object? You actually SEE the object, though slightly blurred at each end. It travels faster between ends.

The fluorescent idea not bad, but I dont see any fluorescent lights.

it is simple motion blur. Since the perisisence of vision is about 1/20 to 1/40 the human eye actually integrates like a camera. or vise versa!

What you are seeing is the whisker- at the two ends of its vibration path, as recorded by the camera.

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor, the sinusoidal curve idea has some appeal, but again I must ask why I see 3 distinct images of each whisker, not 2.
The whisker has a brighter edge. It is just vibrating about a distance of twice the thickness. you are not seeing three, just the two at the ends of the vibration. Other whiskers seem to have three bright bands even when they ARE in focus. Could be just they are semi transparent . Look at a transparent strw from the side and it will look similar.

notice other things, like it is widest at the ends of the whisker. The inner part isnt vibrating or it is less

trying to explain all the artifacts will drive you crazy.

1. Whiskers vibrate
2. When they do, you see them at the extremes
3. you see them at the extremes

QED

wiggle a pencil in your hand-it will look just like the whisker.

BTW, the whisker is pointed at the ends (observe a few) and also is flat (notice a few that twist-some seen edge on others side. So if they are semitransparent, a little flat (or have some other non round cross section) and taper to a point there will be different manifestations

just as seen.

Also if that is a 100% crop on my screen (30'' 2650x1600) there are 10's of pixels across this feature. It will not be a bayer matrix or SW artifact. Gotta look at the optics.

Last edited:

Maggie O

maggie, please
What?

I honestly don't know how you could say a lens never does OOF bokeh. You've given me two, somewhat snotty, non-answers to a sincere question. If you think conversing with me is beneath you, at least have the dignity to just not reply, instead of being condescending and obtuse.

I'll stay out of the MF forum, as stupid 35mm shooters like me are obviously not wanted. Or is it that I'm female?

Sorry for posting here. I'll leave now.

irakly

maggie, i never said that this lens does not have oof bokeh. i said that it never produces a double image when defocused. these lenses just do not do that. and that's why (partly) they are so wanted. it is just your questions sounded like you were pulling my leg :)
90% of my students are female, and i've always said that on average women make much better photographers than men.

tom in mpls

Hey, guys and gals! Can we call a truce and get back to the puzzle of the multiple whiskers? Although not the biggest issue in photography today, I think my whisker pic has posed a fun problem for us to consider.

LJL

I am with you on this, Tom. There are some things that I would really like to understand about what may, or may not be happening here. We can all agree to motion in the whisker, but few explanations seem to cover the multiple line part.

LJ

gogopix

Subscriber
the multiple lines ar just the hair structure being seen since it is semi transparent. Look at any transparent vs solid tube and you will seen similar features.
or..

the cat is really..

an ALIEN!!!!!!!!!!

LJL

the multiple lines ar just the hair structure being seen since it is semi transparent. Look at any transparent vs solid tube and you will seen similar features.
or..
Victor,
That seems plausible for the main body of the whisker that is showing less movement, but it really does not seem to explain that distal end part having three very distinct terminus lines. Maybe there is some optical illusion (or optical contusion more likely:ROTFL:) that is taking place. The transparency issue/illuminated tube does not seem to hold up there, unless the end of the whisker is bent back on itself or in some way that we cannot see. Still seems a bit odd to me, and why I had originally postulated both multiple shots for increased color bit depth, and a possible microlens shift issue....both of which could apply to this particular back. That did not seem to resonate with any of the experts here.

LJ

tom in mpls

WINNER of the wackiest thread title anywhere on the Internet.
Thank you. I took some time trying to come up with an intriguing and amusing, yet relevant and succint, title with the hope that people would say, "gotta look at this one, what the heck does it mean?"

LJL

And you have two pages of discussion so far (1.5 if we exclude the sidebars), but still no definitive answer......

LJ

irakly

tom, this is really easy. feline whiskers oscillate. there is a middle point where they stop and two extremums where they change direction. that's exactly what you caught. i don't remember exact biology of it since it was a long time ago, but this is what happens.