The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Accurate, consistent long exposures with mechanical shutters

FromJapan

I use an Imacon 132C back on a Sinar. My lenses are all mounted in Prontor Professional shutters.

Is there a way to get accurate, consistent exposures in the 2~10 seconds range? I have the Prontor Professional timer, but winding the clockwork mechanism for each exposure is a pain. I know about the Rollei, Schneider and Horseman electronic shutters. The KaptureGroup solution does only short exposures, and needs AC power. Has anyone made a portable release using a battery-powered solenoid? Would it be possible to trigger the back externally, keeping the lens open on B?

Ideas welcome!

Kumar

PSon

If the lens stay open how will the digital back take the black reference after the shot? If your back does not require this feature you can connect your back to an external electronic shutter. Why don't you mount your lens onto the electronic shutter directly for accuracy? I put mine on the Rollei shutter.

FromJapan

Well Son, I did figure out that keeping the lens open on B would not work. As I said, I know about the Rollei and other electronic shutters. I'm trying to figure out a way to do this with my Prontor Pro shutters. My friend and I are hopeful of a solution.

Cheers,
Kumar