The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 500 Mirotar on Contax?

I have been told that the Zeiss 500 f4.5 Mirotar has an image circle that covers the 645 format and can be converted to use on Contax 645.

Has anyone had experience (or even heard anything) about this most unusual lens? It would actually make a useable wildlife lens for medium format (roughly 300 equivalent). I have been offered one for a pretty good price.

This is a real oddball request I know, but this lens was supposed to cost $30K when new and have superb image quality.

Just want to see if anyone here knows about it.

Thanks!!

Guy

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Guy

I have used mirror lenses in a variety of designs for years(Nikkor/Minolta/leitz) . The benefit has always been getting a 500mm lens in a small and light form. For me this means having the Leitz 500mm/f8 converted to a Nikon mount with me.

The resolution has always been decent(not great) and the contrast only average. The bokeh can be ugly but you can learn to work around it or you get the donuts in the highlights. With digital you can easily add contrast.

The issue with the mirrotar 4.5 is that it weights 9lbs...which for me kills the portability. The fast 4.5 aperture is attractive but I would want an all glass design for use on MF.

gogopix

Subscriber
if you are willing to use higher ISO the hassey 500/8 might be better. 4.5 is fixed, so dof may be an issue when you have a lot of light.

For that money, get the Contax 350/4. faster, AF and only 8lbs:D

(BTW I have both-never considered the Mirotar 8 or 4.5.)

Victor

fotografz

A friend of mine has the f/4.5 ... it's huge.

Mamiya made a 500/8 mirror for 645 ... wasn't all bad actually. I had a Mamiya to Contax adapter and used it on that camera.

The most useful one I've ever shot with is the Sony (Minolta) 500/8. I believe Minolta made the Leitz 500/8 for Leica.

What makes the Sony Mirror so useful is that it's the only autofocus one made , and when mounted on an Alpha camera is effect stabilized.

Those are two huge benefits when working with a lens like this.

-Marc

gogopix

Subscriber
good observations marc, as usual; the comment on the Sony - esp. Crazy as it sounds, I am tempted to get a A900 and an R adapter just for the IS (OK, Guy, so I am a Wimp:D

also remember that mirror lenses you work with fixed DOF not always the best for wildlife)

at f8, lose a lot of light but with higher iso can compensate (say with sensor + on a phase back.)

Victor