The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethered shooting with 64bit OS

RGoldman

I am wondering if anyone here has been able to shoot tethered with a Phase One back using a 64bit OS (Vista or Win7)?
I was finally able to get tethered shooting on an older computer with 32 bit XP today but would really like to avoid having to load a different OS onto both my work desktop and laptop if at all possible.
Doug at CI is helping me with this also but I wanted to see if anyone else has been successful as of yet. The release notes on C1 5 say that Vista 64 is supported.

Thanks,

Ron

Don Libby

Ron - I'll be attempting to shoot tethered within the next couple days with C1-5 and Vista 64 and will report back.

Don

RGoldman

Thanks Don. I am still not able to shoot with the camera and Vista 64 machines.
C1 sees the back and lets me set ISO, file size, and WB but won't let me capture anything.
Phase One's latest reply is to make sure there is less than 3.9GB of ram or use XP but that doesn't work either and I really hate to go back to XP.
I have tried everything I can think of to get this to work with no results. It would have been much faster to just buy a MAC at this point! If I knew for sure there were no issues with tethered capture and no limitations(like amount of ram, etc) I would probably go for it.
Anyone have any bad experiences shooting tethered with a MAC yet?

Ron

Don Libby

Hadn't heard of the RAM limitation; the laptop I was going to try has 8GB RAM guess I'll have to do it with a smaller 4GB RAM 12".

Don

RGoldman

Got an email from Doug at CI today saying that PhaseOne has come up with a new driver that fixes the tethered shooting with 64bit Windows systems.
Just installed it and it works!
Of course.... I sold my Windows laptop a couple of weeks ago and bought a Macbook Pro because I thought Phase would never resolve the problems. Typical!
Well, at least I can shoot tethered on all of the computers I own now.

RGoldman

The problem was with Vista and Windows7 64bit systems. I had waited 2 years for them to solve the problem and after 5.0 was released and didn't work, I bought my first Mac. Plugged in the back and it worked right away....
I guess the good thing now is that I can shoot tethered with any computer I own so I don't have to worry about compatibility issues any more.

neil

I am a windows user and have been constantly kicked in the direction to buy a MAC.

1.Capture one, four did not work in live mode for a PC. ( version five resolved that )
2. Still waiting for Photus 2.0 to be released on windows. Mac version already available.

Would I be right in thinking that Capture One and Photus are better supported on the MAC than on the windows environment and are released first on MAC ?

Do more Photographers prefer MAC then windows ?

After reading this thread am thinking to make a Mac a Christmas Present to myself. Does this sound like wise move or waste money. ( Money could go into a news lens … and actually produce something new)

Does the 64 bit environment add to the speed of the program tethered ?

Any advice appreciated