The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you had to buy...

S

Shelby Lewis

... only one lens for a tech camera (for landscape work), what would it be?

I hate to say it... price is a consideration.

:D

I'm doing a bunch of hiking/backpacking this next year and am thinking of picking up a super-minimal tech camera kit with which to shoot some roll film (when I leave the digital at home). Leaning towards alpa TC (used?). We're talking body/lens/roll-film back/MAYBE a viewfinder, but probably just a ground glass. No more. This would be similar to days when I was a kid and would only take my dad's pentax me-super and a single 28mm prime. fun stuff.

We're talking a "best value" lens, lol.

(later re-purposed on a digital back would be great... although I think I'm going to be 75 when I'm finally able to buy a back :D)

Oren Grad

A 90mm Apo-Sironar-Digital, for a view slightly wide of normal on 6x9cm. I actually own one - despite the name, it's a very fine lens for film too. Expensive new, but in the current economy they've sometimes been turning up used at very substantial discounts.

yaya

Shelby don't forget that on top of buying the lens you will have to get it fitted into a helical mount, adding a few 100's $$$, if you want to use it on a pancake camera.

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks all for the thoughts.

As far as formats... I'll probably default to 645 or 6x6 (even though I love the shape of 6x7). I like the idea of 645 due to the fact that if I were to go digital in the future with the camera, I wouldn't have to change the way I pre-visualize with it.

Thanks Yair for the reminder about the helical mount. Can you tell this is a new thought-thread for me... brought on by my plans to do some longer hikes this year? Much to learn about these cams for sure.

On an alpa/cambo, what would be the equivalent FOV of a 20mm or 24mm on a FF 35mm system? Is there some sort of conversion factor... assuming a 645 capture? I'd assume the same as the standard mf equipment?

So a 35mm on a pancake would be pretty wide?

fotografz

If not using T/S and backpacking it, I'd use a Mamiya 7II for 6X7 and get the 43mm WA which is a stunningly good optic.

But that's me : -)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts:

If you are going to shoot rollfilm, then I'd go 6x7 minimum for the added image area. Unfortunately, a single lens choice is dictated by format chosen since that determines effective FoV, so you need to decide that first before we can recommend a body and lens.

That said, by far and away my most used focal for landscape is moderately wide or normal, or around 32mm or 45mm in 35SLR terms. On 6x7 this would be a 65mm or 80mm lens. On 645 this would be roughly a 50 or 65.

If you have to have a camera with movements, then I'd look at a Cambo Wide DS since it can actually take digital backs, MF rollfilm backs of any dimension up through 6x12 and even 4x5 sheet film with appropriate back adapter. But it's relatively large and heavy and somewhat complex to use.

So, all this a long way around to agree with Marc's suggestion -- get a Mamiya 7! :) Here, if I could only have one lens, it would probably be the 80 (rough 35 equivalent of 40mm). However, I would opt for 2 minimum and they would probably be the 50 and 80 pair. Advantage over the tech camera is light-weight and shooting convenience. Disadvantage is no movements, but... Also, if you are shooting 6x7 with the 43, you basically have a moderately wide 645 frame with a bit of room for rise or fall built in -- and IME that is about all you ever need for landscape. And yes, the Mamiya 7 lenses are as good or better than any dedicated tech lens designed to cover MF film, the 43 and 50 and 80 are all stellar performers. :thumbs:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jack,

I agree with you but I would opt for the 43 and the 65 as the latter is wonderful with a moderately wider view than the 80 and as such a great walkaround lens...very nice for environmental portraiture. Whatever that is....:ROTFL:

After living for some time with a Mamiya 7 I opted for the Alpa TC with 36 and 45 lenses ... digital back and 6x7 6x8 and 66x44 film backs. Think Mamiya with a factor of ten...both build quality and expense.

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I would not argue with any of that at all, I totally get where you are coming from!

The fact is, it would be a tough call for me on the 43/65 pair or the 50/80 pair -- I could be very happy with either. Actually, the 43/65/80 would probably be where I ended up :ROTFL:

Re tech camera, also no argument. I personally would choose that route today simply because I do have a digi back and have no real desire to go back to shooting film with the associated scanning and processing.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
No contest for me at this point. My Hasselblad 343 is a desk ornament at the present time as the 39 meg back and Schneider/Rodenstock lenses image so well. After scanning for a couple of years (Nikon 4000 then the H343) it will be very hard for me to go back.

The 343 will probably show up on the buy sell list when I get organized this winter...along with the film backs.

Bob

T

tetsrfun

Another light weight MF for back packing is one of the Hasselblad SWC series. The SWC weighs in at ~ 950 gms and the 120 film back at 450 gms.

Steve

S

Shelby Lewis

wow... great thoughts.

I think the mamiya II is out. I really think it is a great idea, but I've been digital from the beginning... and I think I want this cam to be digital-ready.

I know you guys think one lens is nuts, but that's all I could even begin to justify in the near future. I'm making some changes to my regular money-making gear and this purchase will be "fluff" of sorts. In the real world, I only shoot with two primes most of the time anyway, so a minimal lens kit doesn't bother me.

So... with that in mind, think ultra-minimal... pancake. Alpa 12tc (or cambo equivalent, if there is one), one lens. My query is more about lens quality and affordability (funny, huh :D). Which (not-so-crazy-expensive) wide-normal and wide lenses have been a pleasant surprise?

If it helps... in 35mm speak, I like the 24mm to 35mm focal ranges for outdoor work.

Thanks all... sorry if I'm driving everyone crazy.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Then the simple answer is the Alpa TC since I don't think the Cambo Wide Compact body accepts film backs, only digital backs. Here I only assume the TC can accept a film back, so double check this...

Lens is now easier. If you end up shooting 6x6 on the TC, then I'd get the Schneider 47 or 58 lens. Only issue here is the Rodenstock HR digital specific 40 and 60 lenses are better for digital capture, but won't cover the full film format.

Here's a used Alpa SWA kit all ready to go, but hang onto your wallet! https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3095

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This kit comes complete with the WDC-M645Afd with the Mamiya 645 Afd interface (non-rotating) and the WDS-556 Lenspanel with Digitar 47mm XL Lens.

Add film back and shoot

T

tetsrfun

Not a pancake but "minimal"...38mm Biogon ~24mm "35"mm equivalent. (spending other people's money is kinda fun :>)

Steve

Last edited:
T

tetsrfun

Here's a used Alpa SWA kit all ready to go, but hang onto your wallet!
Yikes!!!!

vieri

How about Silvestri? Their Bicam is very well made, light, accepts digital & film backs, has a sliding adaptor (Cambo doesn't, you have to focus with a ground glass & replace it with the digital/film back every time), accepts all Schneider & Rodenstock lenses.

Lens-wise, if you want only one lens I would suggest you get the 35 mm or the 47 mm; they are cheaper than the wider angles (28, 24) and they are probably wide enough for what you said you need it for, and if you want wider stitching is a breeze.

I went with Silvestri against all the others because of the far better flexibility & inter compatibility of all the pieces in the system, from a full view camera to the wide-angle cameras you are asking about, everything is exchangable, lenses included. It seemed to me that no other brand offered all that Silvestri did :D

(usual disclaimer applies: I don't work nor get paid for Silvestri, I wish, I am just another happy customer).