The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mirex T/S adapter and what lens? (for D700)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello all,

New poster on the MF threads.

I have the excellent Nikkor PC-E 24 and (apart from the fact that the tilt and shift axes are fixed) I have no complaints. I realigned mine so that shift and tilt are on the same axis (I use this lens for architecture exclusively).

But I find myself in a position that many here (including Guy, regularly) find themselves in: I need the 85 PC-E but the financial controller (my partner!) says that we can't afford it right now.

:ROTFL:

So, after getting the 24 PC-E and rediscovering the joys of tilt (and how easy this is to use with the D700's excellent Live View: tailor-made for this purpose), I am considering the Mirex T/S adapter for tabletop work (tilt is what I need for the most part for this) and either the Mamiya 645 80/4 macro, or the 80/2.8 standard lens. And, in time, I would probably need a 45-50mm lens, too.

But in a footnote, I noticed that adapters to fit Pentacon 6, Bronica, Hasselblad and Pentax 6X7 lenses to the Mirex adapter are available.

So my question to the MF gurus here is what are your suggestions for a relatively inexpensive but adequately performing 80-90 mm lens in one of these mounts for this use, and might one of you have one that you may care to sell to a new home?

cheers to all, kl

gsking

Don't forget the 80/1.9. I tried mine on my T/S adapter and it performed well. I'm thinking the 80/4 would help with the MFD.

Greg

archivue

Hasselblad 80 F or CF can be found for cheap now... and later you can ad the excellent CFi 50 FLE with is floating element !

don't forget that with the mamiya 645 adapter, you can't use AF lenses !

You can also go for the mamiya adapter, and use hassy lens with an hassy to mam 645 chinese adapter... it should works !?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
The plot thickens. I have had a number of emails with the Mirex CEO (pity I do not speak German), but apparently, you can't use this adapter with Mamiya 645 and put that on a Nikon (EOS OK), but (and this is the bit I don't get) you can use Hassy, same adapter in the T2 mount, and attach a T2-Nikon F to that, and that combo will work. Not a problem (the Hassy 80/2.8 is cheap and excellent, as we all know).

What I don't get is that, knowing that the flange–sensor distance is the greater with the Nikon, but I don't see how a Hassy lens an be used but not a Mamiya (the sensor has to be the same distance from the adapter in both cases.

What is it about the M42 design that permits this? Or am I missing something more basic?

cheers, kl

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Carsten,

AFAIK, there is no electronic connection via the Mirex, so really don't know. I am hoping one of the technical gurus can shed some light. cheers, KL

gsking

The Mirex Mamiya adapter is for the manual focus (non-electronic) lenses only.

I'm not smart enough regarding the Nikon issues to comment, sorry.

Greg

archivue

The plot thickens. I have had a number of emails with the Mirex CEO (pity I do not speak German), but apparently, you can't use this adapter with Mamiya 645 and put that on a Nikon (EOS OK), but (and this is the bit I don't get) you can use Hassy, same adapter in the T2 mount, and attach a T2-Nikon F to that, and that combo will work. Not a problem (the Hassy 80/2.8 is cheap and excellent, as we all know).

What I don't get is that, knowing that the flange–sensor distance is the greater with the Nikon, but I don't see how a Hassy lens an be used but not a Mamiya (the sensor has to be the same distance from the adapter in both cases.

What is it about the M42 design that permits this? Or am I missing something more basic?

cheers, kl
Nothing to do with M42... the mamiya 645 lenses have a smaller film to flange distance than Hassy lenses... you can even found adpaters to mount hassy lenses on a 645 body !

Why ? Because the Hassy is a 6x6 camera... so the miror takes more space !