The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

S2 in the "Real World"

dfarkas

Workshop Member
We must be living in parallel universes Carsten since I haven't seen what, if anything the S2 has revised. Take a close look at what kind of deals Phase and Hasselblad are offering right now, do think that they'd be doing this if money wasn't an obstacle? Please lets not forget that this forum is somewhat elitist, there are very, very few people who actually need 40mp, 50mp or 60mp MF system? IMO the real news is Mamiya DM22 & DM28 systems and not the S2. These are proven systems with a complete range of lenses and a clear upgrade path for the future, and great pricing to boot. Leica hasn't addressed any of these issues and simply relied to hype and blind adoration of its brand. So please tell what have they managed to redefine?
Just to name a few things revised:

- Easy, intuitive operation (no PhD required)
- Totally weather sealed (at our studio event I poured entire cups of water all over the S2 - several times, actually)
- Faster glass (f/2.5) that is actually sharp into the corners wide-open, with no vignetting (and not needing s/w correction)
- Much, much faster image processing (instant zoom, scrolling, etc)
- Bright, large, high-res LCD vs. any other MF system (easy to see outside and easy to gauge sharpness)
- Great color out of the box (even without profiles) and already works with a wide range of software
- A full pound less weight (with standard lens and battery)
- The same size as a 5D with image quality at least as good as any 39/40MP system
- Nicer viewfinder that makes manual focus easy (without a 3x loupe)
- Long, long battery life (over 1000 shots or >70GB of RAW files)
- Dual memory cards with mirroring for extra security
- First MF to offer FP sync up to 1/4000th with hot shoe flash
- Lowest mirror vibration and best overall dampening of shutter (check out at Mark Gowin's shot of Greek restaurant interior - 1/3rd of a sec, propped up with napkin-wrapped silverware on a 4-top table)

Did I leave anything out?

I think David K summed it up nicely when he said, "The S2 gives image quality as good as my Hy6 with my best lens, with less post processing work, in a size I'd actually want to carry."

Don't take my word for it. The best way to see the difference is to try it for yourself, especially next to other MF systems.

David

D

ddk

Dave, try being a bit less rude next time. I have no idea who you are or what bothers you....but don't insult me...I didn't do anything to you
I'm sorry if you're insulted Mike, I really don't see what was rude or insulting in what I wrote, I just disagreed with your analysis and that of your sister's teacher.

D

ddk

Didn't realize that clicking a back on a camera required a Phd!

- Totally weather sealed (at our studio event I poured entire cups of water all over the S2 - several times, actually)
Great and Phase cooked their back in a Microwave oven and then froze it!

- Faster glass (f/2.5) that is actually sharp into the corners wide-open, with no vignetting (and not needing s/w correction)
Please, the lens card doesn't wash for now, specially since there's hardly a line up. This is something that we're hoping to see in the future, but not there yet.

Compared to what? Claimed 1.5 images/sec or realistic 1/sec speeds which slows down considerably after the first 8 or 9 frames and a buffer that fills up and comes to a halt after 14-15 shots as opposed to Leaf backs that shoot at very similar frame rates continuously and never hit a buffer wall?

- Bright, large, high-res LCD vs. any other MF system (easy to see outside and easy to gauge sharpness)
Nothing new or special here and you're only judging sharpness from some kind of jpg. which can be inaccurate, Leaf already has larger screens and you can judge sharpness from the actual raw file!

- Great color out of the box (even without profiles) and already works with a wide range of software
:ROTFL: Please, the same range of generic software is available to every other manufacturer too, only the others managed their own dedicated software too.

With what lens combo and compared to what body, lens, back combo? And so what anyway?

- The same size as a 5D with image quality at least as good as any 39/40MP system
That's exactly what's in question as of now, the IQ hasn't been established yet.

Matter of opinion and the lenses do lack feel for manual focusing.

Maybe, again I don't see it redefining a class of products.

25k for basic body!

I'll give it that though not unique any longer.

- Lowest mirror vibration and best overall dampening of shutter (check out at Mark Gowin's shot of Greek restaurant interior - 1/3rd of a sec, propped up with napkin-wrapped silverware on a 4-top table)
I wish you didn't bring this up, besides your beer shot not a single file from Mark's lot was in focus, I downloaded all of them!

Unfortunately things like plans or ways for future upgradability, incomplete lens line up, lack of ability to use lenses from other manufacturers with simple adaptors, as of yet no software with any decent profiles, very high pricing, no MF track record, poor availability, shall I continue? Honestly what is the real tangible incentive for anyone invested other systems or even starting with MF is offered here besides the promise of a red dot?

I think David K summed it up nicely when he said, "The S2 gives image quality as good as my Hy6 with my best lens, with less post processing work, in a size I'd actually want to carry."
I guess David K is more of a diplomat that I am!

Don't take my word for it. The best way to see the difference is to try it for yourself, especially next to other MF systems.

David
Yes, we're all excited about the prospect of a new MF system and many, including me, are hoping that the S2 will be a great product with the support equal or even better than Phase/Leaf, Mamiya and Hasselblad, and I will try it again when I can but for now, its just not there, at least for me.

yaya

David
David your enthusiasm and loyalty are commendable but I honestly believe that you should clock up some real mileage with certain MF systems before you throw these statements into the air since almost all of them are yet to be proven and are fairly questionable from the little evidence existing so far.

Happy thanksgiving to everyone states side

yair

Paratom

David
David,
the best lens for the Hy6 is f2.0 not 2.5 and I believe the weight isnt really that much heavier than the S2, specially if you keep in mind that the Hy6 includes the grip allready.
What I do like is that I can use either a WLF or a 45 or a 90 gegree finder o the Hy6. And that one can use the back either on the Hy6 or the Artec.
So yes, the S2 is weather sealed and a little more compact than other MF-systems, but therefore its less flexible. Depends on the needs.

Ok, designed in Sweden, but manufactured in Japan, so not exactly what I want to see, but I agree, this is maybe the best way to survive economically today.

BTW - I heard that Hasselblad is actually owned by a Chinese company (family/imperium) - is that true?

Not that his is bad at all, I just ask myself then how constant and predictible the Hasselblad future will look like long term.
Seriously? Building material in Japan is anything but economical. There is no cheap labour for hand made products, shipping isn't cheap (bear in mind the electronic shutters are shipped from Sweden to Japan before the lenses make their way back again).

As for quality control, spend some time in Japan and you will have some kind of perspective on how finite the Japanese culture is on not accepting anything but the best. Sometimes, this can be painful but it has its benefits. ;)

Also any global company such as Leica, Us, Canon, Nikon etc etc, has suppliers from all over the world. It is just the way it is these days. Leica is no different by having manufacture in Portugal, for example.

This is not a criticism either, simple global economics which effects all of us. Flip your MacBook/MBP/iMac/Mac over and you will see made in China, doesn't mean to say it is a low quality product.

Hasselblad is owned by the Shriro group. Headquartered in Hong Kong, with offices in 16 countries, 3500 employees. Mark Shriro (sole proprietor), is from Canada.

Strong links to the photographic trade with Linhof, Pentax, Zeiss, Broncolor, Profoto... etc etc. http://www.shriro.com/

Our current Chairman Larry Hansen was once CEO of Zeiss Asia Pacific.

Anyway, this is a Leica thread and I have no wish to hijack it already more than I have done.

Best,

David.

thomas

Easy, intuitive operation (no PhD required)
easier than, say, a Contax with a Phase Back? Never...

Totally weather sealed
who really cares? There are reports about boat trips (and the like) with Contax and though they are not weather sealed they don't stop working. Unless you are working in really extreme conditions I think the most cameras/lenses/backs don't make any trouble.

Faster glass (f/2.5) that is actually sharp into the corners wide-open, with no vignetting (and not needing s/w correction)
faster compared to which system?
As to sharpness in the corners and vignetting: show us!

Much, much faster image processing (instant zoom, scrolling, etc)
any real world comparisions?

great color out of the box (even without profiles)
are you kidding? There is no color without a profile (at least no color that could be displayed).

already works with a wide range of software
which camera does not?

image quality at least as good as any 39/40MP system
any real world comparisions?
Of course with 37MP it should be compareable to the 39/40 MP backs (at least regarding resolution) - anything else would be a real disappointment, especially if you consider the high prices for the lenses.
But Leica claimed with the "superior" glass of the S2 it will be on the level of the H3D50. By now I doubt it seriously.
Too, conventional lenses are quite sharp even at the edges when used in conjunction with a 1.3-crop back. Some of them are just a bit weak wide open at the edges with crop 1.1 or fullframe backs.
The most interessting comparision here (IMO) is the P40+ with the Phase 80mm and the S2 with the 70mm both wide open. I do not expect any essential differences. I'm quite sure Doug will tell us...

Nicer viewfinder that makes manual focus easy
split image screen available? User exchangeable? What about a WLF? Even without holding the S2 in my hands I can tell you that the WLF on the Contax is "nicer". Much "nicer"!
I also never heard someone moaning about the Hasselblad finders - quite the contrary. So ... "nicer" than the viewfinder of the 5D2 or what?

- when will they ship the announced T/S lens and will it remain just one?
- How will they handle color shift and especially vignetting of a really wide T/S lens in conjunction with a (offset-) microlenses sensor?
- Will they provide Leica-made input profiles or will they leave that to Adobe?
- Will they produce a Lightroom plugin to correct moire?
(BTW: they claimed - I am refering to one of your articles - that they didn't found any moire. Now, even before the release of the camera, the first "real" users found moire quite easy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with moire, quite the contrary. But how do they test the camera? Who is actually testing it? And how profound are their statements and anouncements?)
- you left out the customizable settings that can be stored on a CF card and transfered to another body. That's quite a nice feature IMO.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David,

Normally, I would ignore a comment like this or just pass it off as agreeing to disagree, and wouldn't bother responding. But, in this case, I do believe that pointing out the facts is important. You had asked what the S2 brought to the MF arena and I had responded.

Didn't realize that clicking a back on a camera required a Phd!
Perhaps the PhD comment was a bit over the top. The point that I was trying to make is that just about anyone can pick up the S2 and be familiar with 90+% of its features, functions, and menus within 15 minutes or less. I know that with other existing MFD systems, many dealers will charge an "installation fee" to come in and show you how to use your camera.

The S2 menus are logical and clear. Being an integrated system, you never have to wonder if the setting is on the camera body or the back. Everything just makes sense. My overall point is that it is intuitive. I've personally demoed the S2 to over 30 people one-on-one and almost every single one of them expressed this opinion to me. Many of these people are current owners of other MFD systems. This real feedback, as well as my personal experience, is what leads me to make this statement.

Great and Phase cooked their back in a Microwave oven and then froze it!
Surely the Phase videos are impressive, but I think the point is that you are far more likely to get caught in a rainstorm than stuck in a microwave. :D It is also interesting to note that the demonstration was done with dry ice (no moisture) and not including the camera body or lenses, which probably wouldn't have survived to shoot afterward.

I have personally gotten rained on and done a shoot on the beach, inches from the surf with the S2. Water just isn't a problem for the S2. I've talked to a lot of fashion shooters on this coast and in LA who won't even consider taking their H3Ds to the beach, instead opting to use a Canon or Nikon.

Please, the lens card doesn't wash for now, specially since there's hardly a line up. This is something that we're hoping to see in the future, but not there yet.
Agree that there need to be more lenses. This will come. Unlike the MFDB companies, Leica is an optics company who designs and manufactures its own lenses. These are entirely new designs, created specifically for the 30x45mm format, and specifically for digital capture. Leica currently has 22 lenses in M line, most of which were introduced less than ten years ago. It's hard to doubt Leica's ability to make stellar optics and push the bounds of what is possible.

If we go purely by the MTFs, the S lenses are capable of resolving 40lp/mm at over 80% contrast, wide-open. Leica has always been extremely accurate in this regard.

I'm not sure that maximum aperture can be refuted. I've shot with the 120mm f/2.5 Macro. It is extremely sharp and a stop and a half faster than any existing MF macro lens. The 35mm f/2.5 is also a full stop faster with a maximum distortion of 1.7% at close focus.

Compared to what? Claimed 1.5 images/sec or realistic 1/sec speeds which slows down considerably after the first 8 or 9 frames and a buffer that fills up and comes to a halt after 14-15 shots as opposed to Leaf backs that shoot at very similar frame rates continuously and never hit a buffer wall?
I wasn't actually referring to fps here. I was referring to the speed of image review, zoom 1:1 speed, and scrolling around images. I've experienced the little spinning leaf icon when zooming in on Leaf backs, the pixelization on the H3DII, the progress bar on the Sinar, etc. The Leica is seemingly instantaneous.

Since you bring up the fps, upon rechecking the Leaf specs, the Aptus II fps range from 0.9 to 1.1. So, 1.5 fps on the S2 is roughly 50% faster. In actual use, the S2 really is 1.5 fps.

Nothing new or special here and you're only judging sharpness from some kind of jpg. which can be inaccurate, Leaf already has larger screens and you can judge sharpness from the actual raw file!
Yes, the Leaf has a 3.5" screen. What is the resolution, though? The S2 has a 460K pixel 3" screen. Compare this to the H3DII's 3" LCD at 230K or Phase One's 2.2" 230K LCD. Also, the S2 LCD doesn't wash out in daylight.

:ROTFL: Please, the same range of generic software is available to every other manufacturer too, only the others managed their own dedicated software too.
You need to convert some back's proprietary RAW files in dedicated s/w before using "generic software". This is an extra step. If you put a Phase file directly into LR, you get center-folding. Sinar files have to be brought into eXposure to convert to DNG before being viewable. And, the often-necessary lens corrections become unavailable outside of dedicated s/w. This leaves many with a dual program workflow. For some users this is acceptable, and for others it's a hassle.

With what lens combo and compared to what body, lens, back combo? And so what anyway?
I was comparing the S2 with 70mm to both the H3DII-39 with 80mm and the 645DF with 80mm D lens. For many photographers I've spoken to, as well for myself, a pound (0.5kg) is a big deal.

That's exactly what's in question as of now, the IQ hasn't been established yet.
There are more and more samples coming out as more photographers are getting a chance to shoot with the camera. Leica's goal of late has been to get the camera into the hands of as many top, working professionals who's work demands the quality of medium format. Personally, I've worked with several such professionals as well as demanding advanced amateurs, some of whom are on this forum.

Matter of opinion and the lenses do lack feel for manual focusing.
Another comment I've been hearing lately has been how nice the MF feel is on the S lenses. Two pros I just worked with prefer to manually focus. Both of them felt the S2 provided the best MF feel and viewfinder they had seen to date. One of these pros currently uses Phase backs on the H system, as well as Canon 1DsIII and was literally exclaiming his love for the viewfinder and ease of focus in the midst of his shoot.

Maybe, again I don't see it redefining a class of products.
Having battery life that is literally 4-5x as long as current MFDB systems is a pretty big step. Being able to shoot all day on a single battery. Some may not need this level of battery performance, but again, based on pro feedback, this is a really big deal.

25k for basic body!
Actually it is $22,995 USD. What is the price for a 645DF/P40+? I think it is pretty close actually. Older backs by other manufactures do represent a great value.

I'll give it that though not unique any longer.
What other medium format system can sync at 1/4000th?

I wish you didn't bring this up, besides your beer shot not a single file from Mark's lot was in focus, I downloaded all of them!
Are we looking at the same files? I haven't read this feedback from anybody else.

Unfortunately things like plans or ways for future upgradability, incomplete lens line up, lack of ability to use lenses from other manufacturers with simple adaptors, as of yet no software with any decent profiles, very high pricing, no MF track record, poor availability, shall I continue? Honestly what is the real tangible incentive for anyone invested other systems or even starting with MF is offered here besides the promise of a red dot?
Just like DSLRs, the upgradability is a new body. The old body can be kept as a backup, sold, or traded in for a new one.

Leica has stated that they will not limit any company from creating adapters for the S system.

When the camera ships in a few weeks, there will be a final profile in LR. For now, the default rendering in both LR and C1 are very good considering there is no profile. Also, with a Colorchecker Passport, one can easily and quickly make a DCR profile. I plan to make an ICC camera profile for C1 as well, using the EyeOne XT system.

Why don't we judge availability once the camera starts shipping?

The bottom line is that many photographers who are happy and satisfied with their existing MFD systems won't find a reason to switch. Current backs, despite modular upgrade paths, have dropped significantly in value. The manufacturers have done an excellent job of devaluing used equipment based on aggressive price wars. As I have always believed, if you are happy with what you have, then stay with what you have. There will be many, though, that do see the S2 as a revolutionary tool and are willing to make the switch. They are not doing this because I told them to, or they have been tricked somehow. It is because they see the value in doing so.

I guess David K is more of a diplomat that I am!
While David K is quite well-spoken and articulate, he always speaks his mind. He wouldn't have made this comment if he didn't mean it. It has nothing to do with diplomacy, but rather actually having tried out the S2 against his existing Sinar system.

Yes, we're all excited about the prospect of a new MF system and many, including me, are hoping that the S2 will be a great product with the support equal or even better than Phase/Leaf, Mamiya and Hasselblad, and I will try it again when I can but for now, its just not there, at least for me.
Yes. Admittedly I am excited about the S2. The statements that I've presented about the camera aren't "marketing hype," results of my enthusiasm, or made because I lack experience with other MFD systems. I have presented facts as well as feedback from real professional photographers.

Respectfully,

David

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I agree with David :)
Which one? :confused: Or.. yourself? :p :D

Kidding aside, and back onto the subject, well i don't know but there's something a bit surprising from the available S2 files... there's a kinda clinical quality to them.

Maybe it's simply related to the "first test samples" exercise which understandably lead most photographers to go for technical oriented shots designed to stress out sharpness, noise etc performance...

But still, it's surprising (and potentially disappointing for some and for now) to see it as a common trait from all sources, even from such photographers like Marc whose style is well known but to say the truth his usual artistic mastery is indiscernable here.

Some people with limited education in MF (like myself, on the operation side, though not on the processing and handling of such files) might take this as a possible design bias of the S series, voluntarily or not, parting with the usual Leica touch and feel.

Of course upgraded profiles and such are still to come, but beside pure IQ, resolution, colour rendition etc., the point above was -for some- unexpected.

fotografz

I'll try and explain one more time.

There are lots of great camera systems and lots of great lens choices. I think that the people that will CHOOSE to buy the S2 over other systems will mostly do so because of the lenses. I'm definitely not saying one is better than the other. Hasselblad, Mamiya, Zeiss, Schneider, Rodenstock etc...all of those are great lenses. Canon and Nikon make great lenses too. The only thing I'm saying is that the final motivation for a person to put down serious money on the S2 is probably going to come down to a preference for the lenses. Just about everything that the S2 does can be done by another system equally well or better. The only thing that truly makes the S2 different from other systems is the lenses. That doesn't mean they're better. It just means that it's different and offers one more choice. That's all.
Understood.

And while I do agree, it usually comes down to the lenses, I think that is a holdover from 35mm where the differences were quite marked and to some degree still are. The technical differences between many of these modern MFD lenses are getting harder and harder to determine ... especially with software corrections at play in the mix. Most of it is technical minutia ... so, IMO the final determining factor is "character" .... how the lens draws, what the focus fall off looks like, what does the Bokeh look like ... does it produce a feeling of depth or 3D? What is the color character like?

In simple terms, the aesthetics of the lens performance to the creative eye.

I think that is what we are looking for here ... to get a better feeling for those creative attributes in these S2 optics that add something beyond the technical statistics. I believe in the end that is what will determine that preference you speak of.

So far, I can't personally place it ... which doesn't mean it isn't there ... I just can't grasp it yet.

-Marc

vieri

What other medium format system can sync at 1/4000th?

David, FP sync for top-camera flash is one thing, sync with studio strobes a completely different one. Phase with the new LS has 1/800 (1/1600 with P40+, P65+ backs), Hassy has 1/800, Leica has 1/500 with LS if I am not wrong. With focal plane shutter, both Leica & Phase have 1/125.

All in all, for me FP's importance is very little compared to studio strobes'; so I'd give the flash advantage to Phase & Hassy first (with Hassy leading if one needs that syncro speed today, Phase's LS lenses being due soon but not there yet), then Leica. Of course, different requirements for different folks, so I am sure FP at 1/4000 will have lots of takers :D

fotografz

Huh? What is the ZD a good example of? A DSLR? An MF camera? I think it isn't a good example of anything in this context.

I am not sure why you think that most DSLR users need to switch for Leica to make money. A few would do it, and I am sure that they can pull this off. There are many pros who ditched their MF gear and are using Canons and Nikons simply because the MF is too slow, too crashy or too inflexible. The S2 revises this formula a bit, and for those users who it makes a difference to, the price isn't a real obstacle.

---

Boy, is everyone on the warpath again or what? What is going on here? Marc, I just said that Sweden is not in Japan and that the Hasselblad lenses ("our 'Glass'") are made in Japan. I think that isn't pushing it too far. I was not insinuating anything.
No warpath ... it wasn't clear in your post that you were referencing just the lenses ... I thought the post you were answering was talking about the whole system.

Part of this confusion is that the posts get separated to far apart and the answer is sometimes so far away from the question that I can't tell what the heck is was referring to :confused:

-Marc

D

ddk

Dear David,

Thank you for engaging in the dialogue, I think that we've both put our arguments forward so not much point in going back and forth :deadhorse:, I'm ready to be surprised!

David,
Normally, I would ignore a comment like this or just pass it off as agreeing to disagree, and wouldn't bother responding. But, in this case, I do believe that pointing out the facts is important. You had asked what the S2 brought to the MF arena and I had responded.
Respectfully,
David

carstenw

Marc, in my case, it was the previous post, I am pretty sure :)

Btw, looking back, the warpath comment wasn't directed at you, but the thread in general. I was a little unclear there.

Last edited:

fotografz

Which one? :confused: Or.. yourself? :p :D

Kidding aside, and back onto the subject, well i don't know but there's something a bit surprising from the available S2 files... there's a kinda clinical quality to them.

Maybe it's simply related to the "first test samples" exercise which understandably lead most photographers to go for technical oriented shots designed to stress out sharpness, noise etc performance...

But still, it's surprising (and potentially disappointing for some and for now) to see it as a common trait from all sources, even from such photographers like Marc whose style is well known but to say the truth his usual artistic mastery is indiscernable here.

Some people with limited education in MF (like myself, on the operation side, though not on the processing and handling of such files) might take this as a possible design bias of the S series, voluntarily or not, parting with the usual Leica touch and feel.

Of course upgraded profiles and such are still to come, but beside pure IQ, resolution, colour rendition etc., the point above was -for some- unexpected.
I think the first part of your post is often the case. I usually just try to determine if a new camera can handle the conditions I shoot in. Since I shoot mostly candid work where something is actually happening, it then depends on whether something is happening during the scheduled time I have the test camera to use ... (not to mention that I was on vacation, not working :)).

We actually had a model that was going to wear a wedding dress, but she got a paying gig right at the last minute ... so we ended up shooting snap shots where basically nothing much interesting was happening, and the light wasn't all that great. Not a total loss though, sometimes I have to shoot in challenging light and it's good to know how a camera handles it.

Jury is still out in terms of what the character of these lenses is like, and what they may bring to the creative party.

If it was obvious, I'd be on board. But for now it isn't obvious.

When I started using the Sony A900, it was for the lenses and why was immediately apparent to my eye ... it was the feeling of depth and 3D effect ... like this wedding shot I just happen to be working on right now (hopefully a little jpg can convey how the ice cream scoop literally pops off the cluttered background to the point you'd swear you could tilt your head and see behind it.) To be clear, I'm NOT comparing the Sony to the S2, just talking about character type things for sake of discussion.

-Marc

tjv

Man, why does Leica always bring out the worst in people?
These threads are rampant on LUF and I thought not a part of things here. I'll no longer read anything to do with the S2 until the thing is actually released as to avoid all the pre-release moaning and goings on...