The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase P30+ Interiors

David K

Workshop Member
The good thing with these displays is that they are so bad, that the really isn't any difference when they are broken ;-)
That's for sure the funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the chuckle.

Guy, very nice work and always interesting to hear how a professional approaches these kinds of shooting situations. Never really thought about the intended audience thing.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
While talking about the nice Phase screen I thought I show you this nice image. The good thing with these displays is that they are so bad, that the really isn't any difference when they are broken ;-)
What you don't like cracked reflections. LOL

That does look nasty

Guy Mancuso

That's for sure the funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the chuckle.

Guy, very nice work and always interesting to hear how a professional approaches these kinds of shooting situations. Never really thought about the intended audience thing.
Thanks David , yea the intended audience makes being creative sometimes a bummer on your book. Art directors standing over your neck doing it their way but never let that stop you from trying it your way otherwise you turn into a machine if you know what I mean. Otherwise you just get bored and burnt out.

Guy Mancuso

Have to say when I look at these images and look back at my past shooting gear and what I missed for a long time was just flat out the detail and real file range. Even this lowly 31 mpx cranks out some serious stuff. Also in the raw processing the amount of stuff going on to really pull out the best of the file and how robust these files truly are, it stumps me why I waited so long to get in. Well no getting out anytime soon seems the better plan now.

Christopher

Well it looks worse than it really is. The back, when it slipped out of my hands decided to land on concrete edge instead of the grass near by ^^

I'm just pissed at myself, for being thinking about other unimportant stuff than packing away the back, but happy that nothing serious happened to it.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Sure in this case I used a small soft box with a 400 watt strobe and I actually set the camera on daylight even though I am shooting tungsten. Reason being if I set the camera on tungsten and use the flash the flash lighting will look blue which is more stranger than looking warm. So when flash is used set for daylight and let the warm tone of ambient tungsten come in a little. Also daylight from window coming in.
So with this in mind the flash actually is acting more as the main light and fills in where the tungsten is not hitting. In this shot ( the first one let's say) top left ceiling would go very dark . Back of flowers would also with the sofa table so this is more the flash than the ambient filling in those area's. Now it's a balance of not going overboard either way and also not trying to be equal either . Like portraits you want some type of ratio to create shadows and highlights to work with. Great question BTW and working with lighting takes one a load of patience and also to be very knowledgeable of what you are doing with it. I made this shoot even tougher for myself by not tethering to a laptop but working from the LCD screen and histo. This makes the task riskier because obviously much harder to find problem area's
Thanks Guy for the enlightening and comprehensive answer. Quite interesting view on balancing mixed lightning in that case.

By the way it's probably my quibble with photo #4, to me it looks like the WB is off from typical mixed lighting. But again, you were there :)
(#1 is extremely good and will well serve the "book" purpose, especially since it demonstrates your ability to get this kind of result quality without the cost and time involved with a full day setup using numerous Inkies)

The pending question i guess is how do you set the strobe(s) output with long exposure (well, several seconds) shots. Is it a trial and error matter or is there a rule of thumb?
And as a subsidiary, is the flash used in standard mode or rear curtain?
(...if relevant here...)

Regarding the image displayed within the TV set, my humble opinion is that whether you opt to keep it then maybe the use of horizontal black stripes only, cinema style, might wisually work nicer than the black frame around it, for a more natural integration.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Glad you brought up number 4 on color balance. Great eyes . here again major balance issue between early early morning blue light shooting into the tungsten light of the kitchen and outside patio. Honestly i went through this one several times to warm it up outside without making the tungsten TOO warm. This is a tough balancing act and actually sent Jack some proofs on it to get his opinion as well. here you have to make a call on what you as the shooter want it to look like . Luckily I did in the kitchen add some flash in it so it was not totally warm to start so by warming it up globally it stayed pretty reasonable without getting to warm. This is a tough balancing act the kelvin temp swing between tungsten 3200 and early morning light may have been over daylight which is 5500 kelvin and going further into the blue spectrum.

Henry Goh

Guy, you were limited by the P30+. You need to trade it for a P65+ so that you wide the FOV from 24mm to 17mm equivalent. P65+ and the 645DF should be your next purchase. Forget the S2, the M9 and go buy something really useful.

yaya

Guy, you were limited by the P30+. You need to trade it for a P65+ so that you wide the FOV from 24mm to 17mm equivalent. P65+ and the 645DF should be your next purchase. Forget the S2, the M9 and go buy something really useful.
And while you're out shopping, get an Aptus-II 10 so you can get really wide and use that big screen with the picker tool over the histogram to accurately judge lighting, down to 0.01 stop accuracy that is...:)

Ben Rubinstein

Well it looks worse than it really is. The back, when it slipped out of my hands decided to land on concrete edge instead of the grass near by ^^

I'm just pissed at myself, for being thinking about other unimportant stuff than packing away the back, but happy that nothing serious happened to it.
Heck if I had a back that expensive I'd want it to have its own neck strap! Imagine if it had fallen the other way, ouchy ouch. :eek:

Christopher

Well if it had landed on the other side nothing would have happened, as it had it protection cover on. However one could spin it even further, what could have happened if it fell in a different position or direction, like the river near by ;-)

In the end it does not matter much, that is why it is quite important to have a good insurance.

Guy Mancuso

And while you're out shopping, get an Aptus-II 10 so you can get really wide and use that big screen with the picker tool over the histogram to accurately judge lighting, down to 0.01 stop accuracy that is...:)
Yair that back would have been in handy for sure.

Guy Mancuso

Well if it had landed on the other side nothing would have happened, as it had it protection cover on. However one could spin it even further, what could have happened if it fell in a different position or direction, like the river near by ;-)

In the end it does not matter much, that is why it is quite important to have a good insurance.
Agreed . Stuff just slips out of your hands, not much you can do except have good insurance in the end.

vieri

Playing in C1 i went for a little more juice on this one
Great job Guy, I like this one much better than the original one :thumbs: if I may, and it might just be me, but the left side of the white chair on the left seems to be a little hot, not as much per se as compared to the rest of the levels in the shot... I wonder if it might be looking even better if you'd tone it down a notch? Other than that, I like the mood of this one much better than the previous one, well done! :D

Guy Mancuso

Think I got it now . Was a little pink also , toned it down on left chair. Funny you guys have picked my brain on almost every shot what I was thinking. Good eyes folks

robertwright

another variation you might want to consider: had you been shooting for elle decor, the now defunct House and Garden, the now defunct Met Home, (ok so that leaves elle decor but it was a standard) you would have been asked to shoot the rooms with the lights off. No lit fixtures in their pictures. (hey that rhymes) I don't know what the origin of this is, or the purpose, my guess is that they don't like blown lampshades, or it was a reproduction issue from wayback and has just survived until present day. But if you look at their style, what could be called the anti-architectural digest aesthetic, its lights off all the time.

Woe be it to those who break this rule, as I have found out shooting for them and assisting on their shoots. Not saying you can't fill and light, you have to.

Guy Mancuso

Lamps out that is just sacrilegious. I do wish I had more of my lights with me actually and I actually normally do about 5 is a good number with a normal room but here I just did not have them. Honestly I am barely blown on any shot except for the element in the tube itself. The beauty of MF is working these files to death.

robertwright

Lamps out that is just sacrilegious. I do wish I had more of my lights with me actually and I actually normally do about 5 is a good number with a normal room but here I just did not have them. Honestly I am barely blown on any shot except for the element in the tube itself. The beauty of MF is working these files to death.
for reference check out henry bourne and roger davies. they shoot a lot for elle, dwell, etc. world of interiors.

the editors at those magazines would make the same point about lamps on. I think it is a reaction to the AD style, which was lit to within an inch of its life. They would say it was more "editorial" or looser. Anyway, it was to your point of consider your target client. Every client has different needs.