The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any users of Hasselblad CF-22MultiShot ?

Aaron

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has experience of the Hasselblad CF-22MS.

Is it usable on location in 16 shot mode?, assuming its locked down on a good tripod? I know its really intended for use on in a studio environment but wonder if the multishot abilities are usable outdoors for achitecture etc..

Finally how does the quality of file in 4shot & 16shot compare to the higher resolution single shot backs?

I have been told that the quality produced by these backs in 16shot mode is equal to any back on the market and comparable to 8x10film but that was by the guy selling one so I am looking for more unbiased opinions.

Thanks,
Aaron.

routlaw

Hi,

Is it usable on location in 16 shot mode?, assuming its locked down on a good tripod? I know its really intended for use on in a studio environment but wonder if the multishot abilities are usable outdoors for achitecture etc..

Finally how does the quality of file in 4shot & 16shot compare to the higher resolution single shot backs?

I have been told that the quality produced by these backs in 16shot mode is equal to any back on the market and comparable to 8x10film but that was by the guy selling one so I am looking for more unbiased opinions.

Thanks,
Aaron.
Aaron

I will throw in my two cents worth that should lend some answers to your questions but certainly not all. First let me disclose I have never used a 16 shot mode MFDB on location or in the field. But I have compared closely some H3D II 39 MS files to my Betterlight scan back and without going into great detail still preferred the look of the Betterlight on the whole to the MS solution. The scan back simply had a more natural look. Don't get me wrong I think the MS solution is great and offered awesome detail and a noticeable improvement over single shot mode and in many cases will run circles around a scan back for use-ability and fluidity on location.

To this let me also add that while in the process of choosing which high res system I wanted to invest in I also had an in depth conversation with another photographer who had previously owned the 16 shot device but traded it in for the 39 MS 4 shot and never looked back. This alone was quite a statement. If using it on location you better hope things do not move or there are no heavy vibrations within the picture during the 16 shots otherwise you will have RGB bleeding all over the place and which will make a scan back's issue with movement look like a non event. 4 shot would be bad enough but 16 could become very problematic. This same photographer told me his 16 shot system wore out more flash gear than he cared to think about, and everything had to be just perfect in order to realize the benefits of the system, other wise the file was only larger not necessarily better.

If you need the larger files while on location I would consider stitching several frames from a single shot device while on location rather than using an MS solution (or at the most go with the 39 MS). Spend the difference which is substantial on lenses. FWIW many have also compared the file quality from a scan back to 8x10 as being better too, but this opens another can of worms.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Aaron

Aaron

I will throw in my two cents worth that should lend some answers to your questions but certainly not all. First let me disclose I have never used a 16 shot mode MFDB on location or in the field. But I have compared closely some H3D II 39 MS files to my Betterlight scan back and without going into great detail still preferred the look of the Betterlight on the whole to the MS solution. The scan back simply had a more natural look. Don't get me wrong I think the MS solution is great and offered awesome detail and a noticeable improvement over single shot mode and in many cases will run circles around a scan back for use-ability and fluidity on location.

To this let me also add that while in the process of choosing which high res system I wanted to invest in I also had an in depth conversation with another photographer who had previously owned the 16 shot device but traded it in for the 39 MS 4 shot and never looked back. This alone was quite a statement. If using it on location you better hope things do not move or there are no heavy vibrations within the picture during the 16 shots otherwise you will have RGB bleeding all over the place and which will make a scan back's issue with movement look like a non event. 4 shot would be bad enough but 16 could become very problematic. This same photographer told me his 16 shot system wore out more flash gear than he cared to think about, and everything had to be just perfect in order to realize the benefits of the system, other wise the file was only larger not necessarily better.

If you need the larger files while on location I would consider stitching several frames from a single shot device while on location rather than using an MS solution (or at the most go with the 39 MS). Spend the difference which is substantial on lenses. FWIW many have also compared the file quality from a scan back to 8x10 as being better too, but this opens another can of worms.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Thanks for all that Rob,

I think you may be spot on with your thoughts on 16shot capture, i think it may be wishful thinking on my part to think they would be usable on location. If so they would be a very versatile tool.

The 16 shot is appealing as it adds resolution as well as true rgb capture but theres very little information out there on how succesful they are, which may say something in itself.

I have actually been testing a cambo wide for flat stitching with a back for the last couple of days (between biblical rain showers) and am finding the actual experience of using it to be 'unpleasant'. I have been stitching 6-8 frames (22meg) and when it all goes well the results are impressive to say the least but the experience of getting there would not have me jumping out of bed in the morning and running out with the cambo for anything approaching a fun photographic experience. I would like to reduce the time i spend in front of my monitor:(
That led me to looking at other avenues such as the multishot.

I have also been looking at the Betterlights, if it wasn't such a windy little country here i would be all over them!

routlaw

Thanks for all that Rob,

I think you may be spot on with your thoughts on 16shot capture, i think it may be wishful thinking on my part to think they would be usable on location. If so they would be a very versatile tool.

The 16 shot is appealing as it adds resolution as well as true rgb capture but theres very little information out there on how succesful they are, which may say something in itself.

I have actually been testing a cambo wide for flat stitching with a back for the last couple of days (between biblical rain showers) and am finding the actual experience of using it to be 'unpleasant'. I have been stitching 6-8 frames (22meg) and when it all goes well the results are impressive to say the least but the experience of getting there would not have me jumping out of bed in the morning and running out with the cambo for anything approaching a fun photographic experience. I would like to reduce the time i spend in front of my monitor:(
That led me to looking at other avenues such as the multishot.

I have also been looking at the Betterlights, if it wasn't such a windy little country here i would be all over them!
I hear you on all accounts as these were things I chose to take under consideration as well, and am still considering an MFDB solution when the BL is inappropriate for the conditions. I have no regrets about the BL system, but where I live the weather can also be nasty so much so you don't even consider taking the scan back out for a drive. In those cases my Nikon D3 stands in admirably but at times I do wish for a few more pixels, better lenses and at least a taste of what the BL system can offer.

I have been using digital cameras since the mid to late 90's but at times due to the limitations on all of them find myself thinking, hmmm maybe film wasn't so bad after all. Problem is where to get the film processed, the color at least.

Rob

fotografz

Hi,

Thanks,
Aaron.
I personally have never shot with a MS 16, but have been on a number of commercial shoots as an Ad Agency Creative Director where they were employed.

These were all in the studio with the camera on a locked down heavy-duty camera stand ... tethered to a pretty powerful Mac desktop computer with a killer graphics card. While shooting no one could walk, and all heating or air conditioning was shut off for the duration. The lighting was pretty complex if I recall correctly ... either multi-pop or constant like using Dedolights.

Never saw better files on any commercial shoot I ever was on.

-Marc

Nick-T

Never saw better files on any commercial shoot I ever was on.

-Marc
I have shot 16 shot over the years but not that often. You must be tethered and as others have said movement will cause problems, I think you'd be lucky to get a clean capture out of studio. The four shot files are very good and IMO are roughly equivalent in terms of detail to a single shot at twice the megapixels. In my studio all non- moving objects are done as 4-shots.
HTh
Nick-T