The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

May this be the best MF glass yet?

vieri

Well, this is meant to lighten a bit the recent heathen debate and sometimes not to pleasant atmosphere that some posts brought to the forum lately.

So, back to the title: glass? Plastic? Well, here is the story: no matter what I am shooting, I always bring film along (wether it's 135 or 120 depends on the rest of the gear I bring along), and almost always I bring with me an Holga too. First, I really do like the output a lot for what it does; second, it is always fun to see the customers' faces when - in the middle of a shoot, after using the big guns for a while (D3, Phase 1, Leica, whatever I am using at the time) - I mention that I will now shoot them using the latest and best camera out of the last Chinese technological researches, and.. out comes my beaten, ugly, kept-together-by-tape, inimitable, Holga! :D

Sticking on top of it my strobo remote and starting to shoot, takes just a second - and my ProFoto lights work just perfectly with it!

So here is a couple of images, out of a maternity shoot:

All shot with a Holga & ProFoto lights with Ilford Pan F+ 50, developed in 510-Pyro and scanned with the newly arrived Hasselblad X5.

Enjoy! :D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
There is a certain unique and hard to reproduce atmosphere to these shots.
Truly examples of the Holga glow.
-bob

vieri

There is a certain unique and hard to reproduce atmosphere to these shots.
-bob
:ROTFL: Not to mention the time that the built-in vignette saves you in PP! :D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I need to see if I can get a Holga lens on a Cambo WDS mount.
-bob

bensonga

-bob
Yes, I can see it.....really....it's even better than the glow from my Leica R glass.

But maybe it's the wonderfully expectant mother's natural glow...probably would make even the image from a pinhole camera shine. :)

Really wonderful images Vieri!

Gary

vieri

These are gorgeous captures...I am sure that the couple is overjoyed!
Very nicely done....

Bob
...they didn't see these yet :D I sent them the P45+ ones, these they will get tomorrow... :rolleyes: will let you guys know how did they like them :D

vieri

Yes, I can see it.....really....it's even better than the glow from my Leica R glass.

But maybe it's the wonderfully expectant mother's natural glow...probably would make even the image from a pinhole camera shine. :)

Really wonderful images Vieri!

Gary
Thank you Gary, glad you liked them! :D Expecting mothers are always a joy to shoot, they all have a special beauty to them :D Now that you mention pinhole, I actually thought about it, and would have tried with a Pinhole... Holga, of course - but then again, I thought they wouldn't like to stay still for THAT long... :ROTFL:

s.agar

...they didn't see these yet :D I sent them the P45+ ones, these they will get tomorrow... :rolleyes: will let you guys know how did they like them :D
These are great. No doubt they will like these, maybe even more (with the "Holga Glow" mentioned above). The forum needs a separate Holga section!

vieri

These are great. No doubt they will like these, maybe even more (with the "Holga Glow" mentioned above). The forum needs a separate Holga section!
Thank you very much! :D In fact they did like these a lot, which made me happy - I love to add some odd stuff to my shoots.

:D ... love it, Vieri :thumbup:
Thanks for bringing us back to photography.
Thank you very much Steen, glad you enjoyed them :D photography... at times, on tech forums, we might forget what the purpose of all the gear is - it is good to remind myself from time to time that we can achieve good images with whatever gear. Not that I don't like my P45+ and high-end gear, of course :D

Which Holga is that and which lens?
Just the regular one, I think the lens is a 60 mm f8, with the fantastic "1 people - 3 people - 7 people - 1 mountain" focus scale on it :D

T

tokengirl

These are lovely. You've inspired me to dig out my crappy little Lensbaby and play a little.

Professional

I think i need a scanner, i can't afford that Hasselblad Drum Scanner, also Nikon is limited for large format, Epson scanners are more affordable and can go for large format [8x10] but it is not in same class as the Hasselblad and the Nikon, so what to do?

carstenw

The Epson V750 tests very close to the Nikon 9000, and that is the route I took. If I ever want more, I will save up for an Imacon/Hasselblad.

vieri

These are lovely. You've inspired me to dig out my crappy little Lensbaby and play a little.
Cool, I am glad I could be of service :D It would be great if you'd post some pics for us all to see, I always have been interested in the Lensbaby but could never find one around to play with... how do you find it? (beside crappy, of course... :D )

OK, screw it. I'm going out today to buy a holga and play with it. You convinced me. Too fun!
Holgas are fun indeed! :D You'll see, it's a bit of a one-trick pony, but very good at the trick it does...

I think i need a scanner, i can't afford that Hasselblad Drum Scanner, also Nikon is limited for large format, Epson scanners are more affordable and can go for large format [8x10] but it is not in same class as the Hasselblad and the Nikon, so what to do?
The Epson V750 tests very close to the Nikon 9000, and that is the route I took. If I ever want more, I will save up for an Imacon/Hasselblad.
IMHO, having had both the Nikon 9000 and the Epson, I may say that they might test close under testing environments, but in real world use I found quite a bit of difference between the two; to get results somehow close to the Nikon's, one has to fiddle much more with the Epson both hardware & software. But of course, the price difference is there for something: it's basically the same when you move up to the Hassy X5; 5 times the price of the 9000 (in my local at least, here Nikon stuff is pricey), but 5 times as fast, easier in operation to get maximum quality, a little more resolution, plus of course the possibility to scan large format. As with everything, every incremental step up in IQ costs exponentially more :wtf: that's the way it is... we need decide if that 10% more IQ is worth 200% the price (or more), plus there is always the gear slut inside us at work! :D