The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whats the new MF camera?

Evanjoe610

Is the HartCam similar to something that was shown many years ago by Jenoptik and also the Kapture Group as mentioned by Victor? I recall seeing that product at the Photo Plus Expo. I think that Horseman has a similar product too? These type of digital cameras are more suited for studio work and not so much for portability for outdoor use. Not to imply that it can't be used, but I could imagine the setup required!

Evan

yaya

Is the HartCam similar to something that was shown many years ago by Jenoptik and also the Kapture Group as mentioned by Victor? I recall seeing that product at the Photo Plus Expo. I think that Horseman has a similar product too? These type of digital cameras are more suited for studio work and not so much for portability for outdoor use. Not to imply that it can't be used, but I could imagine the setup required!

Evan
The nearest thing to the Hartblei I would say was the Sinarcam (I, II and III) that allowed you to use Nikon or Hasselblad V lenses with a built-in LCD shutter (for Live View) but that was a studio only camera, with power supply, cables etc.

The Hartblei works off of One Sony battery so in terms of "setup" it is no that different to any other medium or large format solution.

Yair

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ironically, Rainer Viertlböck, who designed it with Sinar, is using Canon more and more, according to posts on LL.
Interesting Carsten, I did not know that and am surprised to hear he's moved to Canon. I always thought Rainer's images were excellent, top of the heap architecture and that step seems strange. As you know I also shoot with a Canon 1Ds3, and while it's certainly a very good camera, it leaves a lot off the plate when compared head-to-head with my Phase files. The new Canon 17 and 24 TS lenses are certainly compelling, but the net file differences remain significant IMHO...

Evanjoe610

Yair,

Thank you for the explanation. What is Kodak's outlook on the future of the professional flatbed scanners? I'm using a Jazz+ and also an Eversmart Pro II. Will there still be future software development for the Supreme & IQSmart scanners?

Thanks in advance,

Evan

KETCH ROSSI

Red (a guess)
As a Registered REDUSER and owner of two R1's and been considered as early Beta testers for the new RED EPIC (TATOO) I can say that the current ASIC sensor that is in the final stages is that for the S35 and that the RED EPIC 645 will not come available for testing till later in 2010.

The RED EPIC (TATTO) in picture below (actual picture) is shown with a Canon mount, and it will also take NIkon and off course its native PL mount for Cinematography as this is primarily a cine camera with very Bad A$#@! Still capabilities.

Lens mount options currently shown (from left to right :) ) Nikon, Cine PL with RED PRO Cine Glass and Canon, interchangeable off course.

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Looks like the "Glock" of cameras.

I would hate to be stopped by a cop with THAT in my hand in London! :D

KETCH ROSSI

Looks like the "Glock" of cameras.

I would hate to be stopped by a cop with THAT in my hand in London! :D
He he, then you would definitely not want to carry the FF RED EPIC/Scarlet with one of this set ups, its called "GUNNER :D

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yair,

Thank you for the explanation. What is Kodak's outlook on the future of the professional flatbed scanners? I'm using a Jazz+ and also an Eversmart Pro II. Will there still be future software development for the Supreme & IQSmart scanners?
What's a scanner and how does it help me with my digital camera?

:toocool:

I did a documentary project to examine the future of pro film scanning:

carstenw

Interesting Carsten, I did not know that and am surprised to hear he's moved to Canon. I always thought Rainer's images were excellent, top of the heap architecture and that step seems strange. As you know I also shoot with a Canon 1Ds3, and while it's certainly a very good camera, it leaves a lot off the plate when compared head-to-head with my Phase files. The new Canon 17 and 24 TS lenses are certainly compelling, but the net file differences remain significant IMHO...
He never left Canon, the balance just swung a bit, and this is mainly due to the new 17 and 24 T/S lenses. They are apparently much improved over previous Canon lenses. He belongs to a special group of people in that he shoots slower and makes less shots, and therefore can spend more time in processing. If I understand his comments correctly, he freely admits that the Canons need more processing, but in his opinion, it gets there in the end. I think he uses the 5D2, not the 1Ds3.

Personally, I find it hard to believe, but have nowhere near the experience he does, so I cannot debate it. I suppose there are two mitigating factors. One is that his stuff is generally sharp front-to-back, and under those circumstances, many advantages of MF are gone. Secondly, he may be considering the final output medium when he says that he can get the results to the same place.

KETCH ROSSI

I'm moving to Hollywood I want one of those bad asses to shoot. Ultimate gear slut. LOL
No need to move to Hollywood Guy, I'll pay you a visit to let you play with or we do a Group shoot out at my new place in Vegas :D

Btw, when time comes I'll ask you if we can do a RED section were to post all the Still stuff from their cameras I will be shooting with, specs as some of you know are just insane, shooting with the 645 and 617 from 30 FPS full resolution to 250 and 350 FPS scaled, it will be a tremendous and insane new world of MF photography!!

.. and you can build it up as much as you want in any way you want, and if the 3" Live view in current cameras is not in off try focusing on a 30" cinema display connected right on to the camera placed any were away form it.

Last edited:

KETCH ROSSI

BTW.. the camera can be fully operated from the distance while looking at a monitor of your size preference, while wirelessly controlling almost every function, for those times when you want to put the camera any were you can't be or can't go, all by the REDMOTE or REDMOTE PRO (on back of Scarlet).

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No need to move to Hollywood Guy, I'll pay you a visit to let you play with or we do a Group shoot out at my new place in Vegas :D

Btw, when time comes I'll ask you if we can do a RED section were to post all the Still stuff from their cameras I will be shooting with, specs as some of you know are just insane, shooting with the 645 and 617 from 30 FPS full resolution to 250 and 350 FPS scaled, it will be a tremendous and insane new world of MF photography!!

.. and you can build it up as much as you want in any way you want, and if the 3" Live view in current cameras is not in off try focusing on a 30" cinema display connected right on to the camera placed any were away form it.

Ketch you do a Red Review Jack and I will put that in the new review section. Just post it in MF and we will move it there for you.

Next time in Vegas I am there.

paulmoore

if you want to have packed workshops start planning some red ones..
it makes the whole leica buffer discussion kind of silly.
that new ff35 should be a sight to behold.. I'd be happy with just the red matte box!