The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Whats the new MF camera?

KETCH ROSSI

Ketch you do a Red Review Jack and I will put that in the new review section. Just post it in MF and we will move it there for you.

Next time in Vegas I am there.
Great Thanks Guy, it will not happen till the ASIC has been finalized and the Tatoo units come out for testing.

Vegas is Fun, I promise, I'll make it so for every one (over 21) :D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Great Thanks Guy, it will not happen till the ASIC has been finalized and the Tatoo units come out for testing.

Vegas is Fun, I promise, I'll make it so for every one (over 21) :D
The camera, err, both.
Hey I am over 21 (well just, ahh 38 years ago)
Sure I am ready whenever you are :ROTFL:
-bob

fotografz

Having spent my whole ad career at film shoots and in editing suites or animation houses, this is starting to sound a little to much like work :wtf:

Shooting is most the fun but 1/10th the of the job. Jack up the RAM folks and pile on the terabytes.

BTW, it ain't all fun and games. Two movies here (2 that I know of) had to cash in their insurance and reshoot because of the poor files from RED units.
Could signal the same thing that happened when commercial still shooters went from film to digital ... oh, oh.:eek:

fotografz

Marc, do you know what the problem was? Apparently the resolution is great, but I have heard mixed comments re. the CMOS readout, i.e. swimming images, and I don't know about the colours. Here is an example from a Canon consumer video camera to give an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSWDP1Tsj1Y
Don't know what the issues were on either movie, nor any of the details. I heard one days' shoot was so dark that the post guys could do anything with it without it falling apart ... but don't know if that was the case. Insurance was used ... that I know for sure.

Lots of stuff being shot here in Michigan because of the huge Tax incentives ... major productions as well as Indie stuff.

Since the commercial business here has been devastated by the economy, all my friends are now working on these movies. Plus, my Sister-in-Law is a Hollywood accountant for major productions, and has been here for 3 months now ... so I get all the inside scoop.

I could have been the still guy for a bunch of these, but honestly, it is not even close to glamorous ... I'm so over rousting my rump out of bed a 3AM and standing in the cold for 10 hours day-after-day ... and I was the freaking' agency client. Can't imagine being the "Still Peon".

If that is like a Glock, this is like a MI Abrams ... (from one of my shoots):

KETCH ROSSI

The camera, err, both.
Hey I am over 21 (well just, ahh 38 years ago)
Sure I am ready whenever you are :ROTFL:
-bob

He he, then you are in Bob.

Having spent my whole ad career at film shoots and in editing suites or animation houses, this is starting to sound a little to much like work :wtf:

Shooting is most the fun but 1/10th the of the job. Jack up the RAM folks and pile on the terabytes.

BTW, it ain't all fun and games. Two movies here (2 that I know of) had to cash in their insurance and reshoot because of the poor files from RED units.
Could signal the same thing that happened when commercial still shooters went from film to digital ... oh, oh.:eek:
Well Marc, RED ONE is still very young at 2 years of age and there are many which shoot and do so with out a DIT, thinking they can do it all, and stuff like this could have happened cause of it, not saying it did, don't know which case this was, but no camera I know has gone 100% smooth on any set.

I must say that RED ONE has performed incredibly well and it has and continues to produce some of the best images ever seen, including off corse Film. (not debating IQ of Digital vs. Film here, I believe different tool for different flavor) but IQ is IQ, unless off course you like noise in your footage.

Hey I turn 53 on Friday so hell anything over 21 and I am game. :D:D:D

Next workshop VEGAS. :cool:
Well then Guy some time next year will organize one :D

This sturdy modular look works great in sleek black finish for a video camera but ....:wtf: This might be the ugliest camera I've ever seen. hahahaha!! :ROTFL:
The look and choices for the modularity design of the system are exceptionally great, but as far as taste in their design, well, as for everything else in life, you will have some that likes it and some that don't :)

KETCH ROSSI

Hey Ketch

When you get a moment could you post an image of you holding one of your
RedOnes so that we can get an idea of the size in relation to a person.

Thx,
Mark
www.marktomalty.com
Sure Mark,

this are with the RED ONE, the RED EPIC Basic configuration will be about one third the size and about half the weight.

In the first one I'm holding it mounted on a Mantis Shoulder mount configuration, and on the second one shows the Top Handle configuration.

I will post some later on after my return from California with the New Epic and Scarlet cameras as well.

But for now the third one is the NEW RED EPIC next to the RED ONE (like the one I'm holding) and the fourth is the NEW RED SCARLET 2/3 Fixed 8x Zoom system next to the well known Nikon D3, and the last one (again) is the RED EPIC with a RED/CANON mount with the EF 85mm f/1.2L II mounted on, hope this gives you an idea of sizes.

Last edited:

mtomalty

Thanks for that, Ketch.

Product shots are alright for reference but to see an assembled camera system,in
hand, with a person really puts things into perspective.
Certainly is not a 5D Mk ll :>))

Thx again.
Mark

P.S.-Hope you are alright because it looks like you are being attacked by the
camera in that first image !

KETCH ROSSI

Thanks for that, Ketch.

Product shots are alright for reference but to see an assembled camera system,in
hand, with a person really puts things into perspective.
Certainly is not a 5D Mk ll :>))

Thx again.
Mark

P.S.-Hope you are alright because it looks like you are being attacked by the
camera in that first image !

Welcome Mark, and no it is certainly not a 5DII both in size and IQ.

BUt the New EPIC and SCARLET series of cameras are again much smaller as you can see.

The first pic, was taken on set of Sirens here in Vegas, that set up had the EVF extruding a bit so to look out I moved my head away as the pic was shot :).

PeterA

The only thing that interests me about RED is the 617 chip. The whole video thing is as interesting to me ( as a hobby) as knitting football scarves would be. If their still capability remains what it is - you would be better off with a $500 point and shoot.

As for the looks department - I think they are very very very funny - and all the RED 'lingo' is just a tad fan boy boring- I think I am now officially middle aged because the whole RED site and hoo haa - is so over hyped..and trendoid

I hope they keep on working away at their stuff though- because what IS refreshing is their transparent and open direct dealing with end users - this IS interesting and appealing - al;so their upgrade deals are extremely fair and reasonable - as they should be - because after all - every buyer is a beat tester and more like a venture fund investor than anything else.

RED respects their customer base much more than other niche players - thats the 'feeling'' I get from reading teh site occassionally and reading feeedback.

conurus

well
if they caould talk to the Contax 645 AF lenses THAT would really be a WWOOOOOWWWW!:D
Yes, you can do exactly that. The Hartblei Cam has a Canon EF mount and we conurus can convert the Contax 645 NAM-1 adapter to have a Canon EF mount. Even though there exist no formal relationships between the two companies Stefan and myself are acquaintances who both want to make sure this combination work.

Bo-Ming
conurus

KETCH ROSSI

The only thing that interests me about RED is the 617 chip. The whole video thing is as interesting to me ( as a hobby) as knitting football scarves would be. If their still capability remains what it is - you would be better off with a $500 point and shoot.

As for the looks department - I think they are very very very funny - and all the RED 'lingo' is just a tad fan boy boring- I think I am now officially middle aged because the whole RED site and hoo haa - is so over hyped..and trendoid

I hope they keep on working away at their stuff though- because what IS refreshing is their transparent and open direct dealing with end users - this IS interesting and appealing - al;so their upgrade deals are extremely fair and reasonable - as they should be - because after all - every buyer is a beat tester and more like a venture fund investor than anything else.

RED respects their customer base much more than other niche players - thats the 'feeling'' I get from reading teh site occassionally and reading feeedback.

Peter, the capabilities of RED in Still are all but in Paper for now, with few tests shot here and there, so way to early to make any calls, but since I absolutely know of their superiority in Motion, I do hope that their Still image and capabilities of the system will allow me to drop my entire Photography gear groups, and have all in one, which is not impossible to achieve from what I see.

Yes the Reduser forum does have a very happy going and fan like attitude, but it is in large do to what they offer at the price they offered, and mostly as you mentioned, their transparency and upgrade path. the fact that the founder and other members of the actual company post regularly in the forum is also a driven point to the positive attitude.

I don's discuss looks as those are a personal preference to what ones likes or dislikes.

RED is a very young company which first product, the R1 has surely shaken a part of Hollywood, how big or small really does not matter, what it matters is that there is a new player and is a good one, so I keep positive and look forward for more great tools to put to our disposal in creating our images and telling our stories.

Stuart Richardson

This is exactly what I was going to ask as well, because for all their modularity, they don't look like something I would actually like to pick up and hold all day long while shooting! I am only coming at this from the perspective of a photographer though, not a cinematographer. I think they require fundamentally different ergonomics (one has to be totally stable and more or less stationary for the entire duration of a shoot, and the other is constantly being brought up and down from the body up to the eye and back). I am just not convinced that they could compete with a tool designed specifically for the task -- a lot of work and ergonomic refinement has gone into photographic cameras, especially the high end Canons and Nikons. From the same perspective, I would not want to shoot a movie with a 5dII...

I am interested to see how RED deals with this, because just looking at the pictures of the silver one that you show, it does not look like something that would be very pleasant to use -- more like a box with a grip rather than something that has been put together with ergonomics in mind.
Hey Ketch

When you get a moment could you post an image of you holding one of your
RedOnes so that we can get an idea of the size in relation to a person.

Thx,
Mark
www.marktomalty.com

KETCH ROSSI

This is exactly what I was going to ask as well, because for all their modularity, they don't look like something I would actually like to pick up and hold all day long while shooting! I am only coming at this from the perspective of a photographer though, not a cinematographer. I think they require fundamentally different ergonomics (one has to be totally stable and more or less stationary for the entire duration of a shoot, and the other is constantly being brought up and down from the body up to the eye and back). I am just not convinced that they could compete with a tool designed specifically for the task -- a lot of work and ergonomic refinement has gone into photographic cameras, especially the high end Canons and Nikons. From the same perspective, I would not want to shoot a movie with a 5dII...

I am interested to see how RED deals with this, because just looking at the pictures of the silver one that you show, it does not look like something that would be very pleasant to use -- more like a box with a grip rather than something that has been put together with ergonomics in mind.
Stuart I understand completely your point of view an were you coming form and also were you want this system to be, I almost fill bad that I'm completely highjacking this tread, or am I? But as I asked Guy, I will post a comprehensive and detailed review on the EPIC and Scarlet line of cameras set up with different items, remember the word modularity, you can put the view finder, and or the LCD, Side Grip, Bottom Grip, and any additional Modules and or accessories, literally any were you want on the camera or off the camera when shooting with a tripod or what ever configuration, the possibilities as RED put is are truly unlimited, and you can go from super light and easy to Hollywood style shooting as you would do for a multimillion dollar movie, just that you are doing it for capturing stills, with 65MP of the 645 sensor or over 200MP of the 617 sensor.

But holding a RED Epic or RED Scarlet will not fill much different then holding an Hassy or P1 System, when in their basic configuration, their weight and size however will vary from configuration to configuration, few pounds to 6 pounds and over.

I will post Pics of me holding the system in various configurations as to better give an idea of what I'm talking about.

PeterA

Ketch - if they can make a 617 chip that matches the quality of the current makers in terms of IQ - it is my dream format - I am guessing it is at least 2 years away no matter. If they then are smart enough to allow the right lens manufacturers mounts to be used ..that woudld seal the deal -:)

Pretty much every landscape shooter would jump on this in a blink.

Evanjoe610

Doug,

Sorry if I had offend you by asking this question within this thread. I am not a professional who makes his living from photography, so I have to make the best of what I have on hand. I was given one of these scanner, so I was asking Yair for some advice. Nothing more. I will limit my questions privately.

Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
What's a scanner and how does it help me with my digital camera?

I did a documentary project to examine the future of pro film scanning: