The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H3D Handling and System Impressions

ptomsu

Workshop Member
All,

thought I give a short update on my first impressions about handling of my new H3D and what I feel about the integrated solution - so far no images, as it is only heavily raining here in Austria, but they will follow asap - promised!

1) It took me some 3-4 hours playing with the camera and going through all (most) settings to be on a level that I have trust in really riding this beast. Once you get used to the logics behind, the operations become VERY logical and intuitive! This is also the reason I spent as much time upfront, just to be able to use this equipment in a perfect way. BTW the Hasselblad partner in Austria did a great job and took plenty of time to help and get me up to speed, which is another important argument for a purchase.

2) General feeling - ergonomics: it is often discussed in this forum and also in others, that the S2 is such a great ergonomic camera and easy to handle and operate. While I have no doubt in that I must say that after this short time I own now the H3D it is obvious to me that its ergonomics and handling and operation is absolutely perfect. Hasselblad did a great job when designing the whole system from the scratch in meanwhile 10 years ago and the result is really perfect. Sure it is larger than the S2, but hey, it is a true MF camera and uses a larger sensor and allows all the advantages of this sensor size as well as the modular design.

3) Weight - I feel the camera has just the right weight - I use it with 100 and 28 lenses and the combination is just perfectly balanced, everything is large enough so I can touch it with my rather big hands and I seem not to get tired even after some hours holding the camera and operating it, as this was the case during my initial setup and startup procedure. So all arguments that you cannot handle such a system for long time and you are just dead and tired after one or several shoots are just hot air - at least WRT my experiences!

5) Silent and discrete - well I did NOT expect a MF camera to be really discrete, but I must say that the grey of the camera helps for camouflage a lot and that it is also remarkably silent for the masses which are accelerated and moved during shooting. The Leica S2 might be more quiet, but I am not measuring this in dB and during my normal operation I do not care about this minimal difference.

6) SW - Phocus - Also new to this SW I am already handling most of the operations I need and will use in my daily workflow very nicely. The results are exceptional in terms of color and depth and tonal range, also the interiors I shot under really bad light in my office. Also if you look at the ISO 400 and 800 they are remarkably clear, of course something really different from 35mm DSLRs (no wonder of course) and the whole package seems to integrate perfectly in my workflow. And as I already said in some other post, this SW has some features, which C1 just got implemented in its V5 - but please I am not going into comparison fight here, just stating I am happy with what is in Phocus already today. And this was my biggest concern BTW. But to make it even better, there is Phocus 2.0 to be released every day now and not only will it bring a number of further improvements, but also mucgh tighter integration with the Graphics Engines on Apple computers and this brings real speed improvements if you change parameters on the fly. Very good and I love already the speed of Phocus 1.2.1

Bottom line - very happy so far and do not see that this might change. And knowing there is now an upgrade path makes me even more happy, although I am not sure if I really will need the H4D60 already next year ;)

Allow me one final conclusion: We all discuss a lot about these systems and we argue about the features and capabilities, but end of the day it is important we make a decision and move on. I have maybe taken too long to decide, you all know the phases I went through, but I am so happy I came out with a decision and the decision seems the right one for me, as my main concerns were always handling and system integration which work perfectly in the H3D system for me - I never had any doubts on IQ as all the systems are on a VERY HIGH level in that area today.

kipling

The H3D is a good, solid camera. I never loved mine or got that ooogly feeling when holding it, but for the most part it's very, very good.
The lenses are the strength of the system imo. Very sharp and the software corrections work great.
I’m not a huge fan of phocus, always been a little buggy on my laptops. And slooow. Forget about running any other program in the background.
It’s also not great for flagging and renaming files and processing is very slow as well.
But it is okay, nothing is perfect.

Have fun!

rmueller

Hi Peter,

Congratulations and good to hear you're satisfied with the H3D.

Since you're a landscape shooter, i would also invest in a release cord for the camera (see at the very bottom of http://hasselblad.se/products/lenses-and-accessories/h-system-accessories.aspx). It is not too expensive.

I have it attached permanently to my camera and then have programmed the
"User" button to be "Mirror-Up", and the AE-L button to be AF-ON (then you don't have AF on the shutter release).

I found that a very good setting for any landscape/still etc. kind of work but
also use it for portraits etc. now.
But that is personal taste of course, good news is that you can customize the buttons to your needs.

Anyway, have lots of fun with the camera.

Best Regards,
Ralf

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Allow me one final conclusion: We all discuss a lot about these systems and we argue about the features and capabilities, but end of the day it is important we make a decision and move on.
Hi Peter:

Excellent comment. We can each share our own impressions, but at the end of the day there is no single wrong or right answer as to which system to get. As you mentioned, they all deliver exceptional image quality, broad color and tonal ranges and excellent optics. Beyond that, ergos are different and software is different, and each will have their own preferences here.

Me, I never fell in love with the H ergos. Don't know why, but the camera always felt awkward in my hands. Liked the build quality though.

Anyway, glad you finally acquired a system you are happy with -- now get out there, make some images and be sure to share them here!

Nick-T

I’m not a huge fan of phocus, always been a little buggy on my laptops. And slooow. Forget about running any other program in the background.
It’s also not great for flagging and renaming files and processing is very slow as well.
But it is okay, nothing is perfect.

Have fun!
Phocus has come a long way in a fairly short time, Phocus 2.0 is a big big improvement on 1.2 and has just gone to final candidate which means release is very close.
Nick-T

Nick-T

Since you're a landscape shooter, i would also invest in a release cord for the camera (see at the very bottom of http://hasselblad.se/products/lenses-and-accessories/h-system-accessories.aspx). It is not too expensive.

I have it attached permanently to my camera and then have programmed the
"User" button to be "Mirror-Up", and the AE-L button to be AF-ON (then you don't have AF on the shutter release).
The Hasselblad remote is expensive for what it is (not that Hasselblad is known for cheap) you can get very cheap radio remotes for H cameras off ebay.

And for you landscape (long exposure) guys and if your firmware is up to date, try pressing the mirror up button TWICE. First time will (surprise) put the mirror up, second press takes you straight to the self timer menu. Once you have set up the self timer as you want it you hit mirror up twice then the shutter for vibration free shots.

Nick-T

ptomsu

Workshop Member
And for you landscape (long exposure) guys and if your firmware is up to date, try pressing the mirror up button TWICE. First time will (surprise) put the mirror up, second press takes you straight to the self timer menu. Once you have set up the self timer as you want it you hit mirror up twice then the shutter for vibration free shots.

Nick-T
Yes, this is a cool feature, found out about it yesterday!

BTW I find already Phocus 1.2.1 pretty fast, if you are using MacBook Pro latest generation and turn on High Performance in Energy Saver. This wakes up all the capabilities of the Graphics Chip and Phocus is making extensive use of it. That means if you for example move a slider somewhere, you see the changes in REAL TIME. Pretty impressive.

Phocus 2.0 will enhance all this further plus have a much improved GUI.

kipling

Phocus has come a long way in a fairly short time, Phocus 2.0 is a big big improvement on 1.2 and has just gone to final candidate which means release is very close.
Nick-T
Sounds good. Have you actually used it in beta? how much faster are the previews and processing?

Nick-T

Sounds good. Have you actually used it in beta? how much faster are the previews and processing?
Been shooting with it for about two months now starting with some alphas that were interesting :)

I don't think processing is much faster but previews and all round performance is hugely improved plus there are a ton of new features. Floating palettes instant 100% detail window layout triggers (ie you put a cf card in and the layout changes to an import layout) and a bunch of other stuff!
Nick-T

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The Hasselblad remote is expensive for what it is (not that Hasselblad is known for cheap) you can get very cheap radio remotes for H cameras off ebay.

Nick-T
I prefer to run through the selftimer menu mirror up 4 - 6 sec delay release mirror down. When you set custom function 21- this stays active until the camera is shut off or you return to the menu to go out of selftimer. So in landscape mode I turn on selftimer and have lockup for every shot thereafter until I disable it or turn camera off.

There are many very intelligent little items like this in the H series that are overlooked due to the dusty grey color scheme....:ROTFL:

Bob

David K

Workshop Member
you all know the phases I went through
Couldn't help but chuckle at this choice of words :) Peter, it's good to hear your impressions and look forward to seeing some results when you have a chance. With regard to handling do you feel this camera is well suited for shooting hand-held in vertical orientation (something I do quite frequently)?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I prefer to run through the selftimer menu mirror up 4 - 6 sec delay release mirror down. When you set custom function 21- this stays active until the camera is shut off or you return to the menu to go out of selftimer. So in landscape mode I turn on selftimer and have lockup for every shot thereafter until I disable it or turn camera off.

There are many very intelligent little items like this in the H series that are overlooked due to the dusty grey color scheme....:ROTFL:

Bob
Hmmm sounds a little like we do on the Phase body or at least the same practice we have a mirror up on the dial than we engage the self timer to whatever time we need . I do like 3 seconds than just hit the shutter . It's nice these cams are set like this since we avoid the cable release unless we need longer than 30 seconds. I only played with the Hassy a few times but I did like the feel of it.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy you are right...I just started using a release with timer function on my Nikon d700 as the mirror up is not connected to selftimer with a delay but the cable is electronic with time function built in. Seems to be an ideal software setting as seen on these two MF DSLRs.

I dislike any additional cables if I can avoid them as I always worry that I will break them off at some point.

Bob

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Couldn't help but chuckle at this choice of words :) Peter, it's good to hear your impressions and look forward to seeing some results when you have a chance. With regard to handling do you feel this camera is well suited for shooting hand-held in vertical orientation (something I do quite frequently)?
For me it seems to be well suited, both horizontally and vertically, but keep in mind this is VERY much because of how my hands can take the whole camera. They are obviously large enough :D

I find this grip concept of both the Hasselblad and the Phase very good in terms of ergonomics, actually better than the integrated grip in the body like DSLRs or the S2. The big difference here is that the grip must have the right size which it does for me in the H series, it never did for Phase (too small). But since this is a very important point I think vendors should have some different size options for grips, that would help us users.

I instantly did steady shots with the HC100 and 1/20 second, which is all but normal as my dealer said - he was impressed. This is only possible as the camera fits perfectly. Of course I would not recommend using these slow times as normally you should at least stay around the 1/100 second for a 100mm lens - but as practice shows it also works with slower times.

bensonga

Congratulations Peter and thank you for you impressions of the H3D. Although I have never held one in my own hands, the photos I've seen of the grip and apparent balance of the camera always looked appealing to me. I'm glad you are happy with it and have a good opportunity for an upgrade path to an H4D60, if you decide to go that route.

Enjoy the camera and I look forward to seeing some of your photos taken with it!

Gary

fotografz

For me it seems to be well suited, both horizontally and vertically, but keep in mind this is VERY much because of how my hands can take the whole camera. They are obviously large enough :D

I find this grip concept of both the Hasselblad and the Phase very good in terms of ergonomics, actually better than the integrated grip in the body like DSLRs or the S2. The big difference here is that the grip must have the right size which it does for me in the H series, it never did for Phase (too small). But since this is a very important point I think vendors should have some different size options for grips, that would help us users.

I instantly did steady shots with the HC100 and 1/20 second, which is all but normal as my dealer said - he was impressed. This is only possible as the camera fits perfectly. Of course I would not recommend using these slow times as normally you should at least stay around the 1/100 second for a 100mm lens - but as practice shows it also works with slower times.
Welcome to the club Peter.

For using slower hand-held times investigate the delayed shutter menu option which you can experiment with as to various nano second delay settings. I do a lot of hand-held stuff, and I think you may be amazed how well this option works. :thumbup:

Another option to investigate is a hand strap if you don't already have one. IMO a hand strap also make using any 645 camera in portrait orientation easier without adding the weight and size of an aux. grip.

Tip: Learn the technique for re-setting the battery "fuel gauge". Sometimes seemingly dimminished battery life isn't the case.

-Marc