The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re: Leaf

yaya

Guy has requested a quick update on what Leaf is up to and about the current offerings;

Starting with the website, it is now being updated daily with news from customers: projects, awards and most importantly images in the Gallery

There are also RAW images available for download

We're also active on Twitter with ongoing updates, you can follow us HERE

Product wise, the current range consists of Aptus-II 10 (56MP), II 7 (33MP) II 6 (28MP) and II 5 (22MP at 6K EUR and 0.8 sec/ frame).
The Phase One 645AF, DF and all the lenses and accessories as well as C1 5.0.X are also available from Leaf. Cameras are avilable separately or bundled with Aptus-II backs and 80mm lenses (FP or LS respectively).

All the above backs shoot at ~ 1 fps or faster with no buffer, tethered or to a CF card and use FW800 for tethering.

33MP and 28MP backs can also be bought as refurbished Aptus 75 and Aptus 65. These are a bit slower, with a lesser screen and FW400

On the software side we have LC 11.2.9 which runs on SL in 64-bit and we have added Live View on the AFDII/ III and Phase One 645AF/DF range (was not available before). FWIW many still consider Leaf's Live View as the best in the MF market.

Capture One 5.0.1 supports files from all Aptus-II and AFi-II backs (including reading Leaf's profiles and curves) and a future version will add tethered support.

LC Remote app for iPhone and iPod Touch is expected to be on the app store in the next few weeks (already submitted to Apple for their final testing)

For people who use "old" Aptus backs (pre Leaf Imaging) we offer extended 2-yr warranties which include taking the back in for a check n' clean and a firmware update so it can be kept up-to-date with future versions.

Many Phase dealers have taken Leaf on as well which has kept me busy for the last 3 months, training everyone and bringing them up to speed on hardware and software. The support and logistics systems have been merged into the Phase One system. We'll also be moving into new premises early in the new year.

There are a couple of new backs coming which I will have more news on soon.

Yair

carstenw

Thanks for the update. Just so that all the info is in one place, which mounts are supported for the various backs, what are their aspect ratios, and which can be bought with the internally rotating sensor?

yaya

Thanks for the update. Just so that all the info is in one place, which mounts are supported for the various backs, what are their aspect ratios, and which can be bought with the internally rotating sensor?
28MP uses a Dalsa sensor at size of 44mm X 33mm

22MP and 33MP use Dalsa sensors at size of 48mm X 36mm

56MP uses a Dalsa sensor at size of 56mm X 36mm with SensorFlex technology (crop on the fly to 4:3 and 1:1 when tethered. WYSIWYG)

You can download PDF with full spec of all backs from HERE

At the moment none of these backs offer a rotating sensor. They are made in M, C, V and H mounts

We make adapters for RZ, RB and 4X5 (Graflok):

RZ: Mechanical mount with built in rotation for M, V and H backs
RB: For V and M backs
4X5: For all 4 mounts

Yair

carstenw

Thanks, that's great. Not that I am thinking of upgrading soon, but if I did upgrade one day, one reason to choose Leaf would definitely be the option of having a rotating sensor on a V camera. Do you know if any such thing is planned?

David K

Workshop Member

At the moment none of these backs offer a rotating sensor. They are made in M, C, V and H mounts
We make adapters for RZ, RB and 4X5 (Graflok):
Yair
Am I reading this correctly... the new Leaf backs no longer mount to the Hy6?

Stuart Richardson

Is there a particular reason (that can be made public) that Leaf isn't giving even the option for the customer to order a new back and/or future backs in AFi mount? I know that F&H is dead and it is no longer feasible to sell the AFi system, but it is surprising quite another that you will not support the customers who spent all the money buying the AFi and lenses and accessories. I'll admit, I was not one of those people, but I did use a Hy6 and still use a 6008af with the Rollei lenses and had looked to Leaf as the best option if I decided to get back into MF digital..it is a bit disappointing that they are not going to at least allow you to buy a back in that mount...if you offer Contax, why not your own much more recently deceased camera system?

carstenw

My guess is that this is since Leaf is now a Phase company. Selling backs to AFi users would perhaps decrease Mamiya/Phase body/lens sales, plus divert effort from the primary business. I still it would be the decent thing to do, but that is another matter.

Steve Hendrix

My guess is that this is since Leaf is now a Phase company. Selling backs to AFi users would perhaps decrease Mamiya/Phase body/lens sales, plus divert effort from the primary business. I still it would be the decent thing to do, but that is another matter.

My guess would be that while Leaf might want to offer upgrade paths for AFi customers who stick with the platform (and why wouldn't they?), it may be cost prohibitive to do so.

The Leaf digital back for the AFi was never just an Aptus with an AFi mount, or just like an Aptus with a V mount. It used the same sensor, same LCD screen, but had a different chassis, different internal electronics. So I'm sure much more expense to keep this going than just the same Aptus back just with a different mount.

Leaf does support camera platforms which are no longer in production, just as Phase One does - Contax, Hasselblad H, etc. But I'm betting there are many many more Contax users, for example, than AFi users on the planet. Let's say there are 200 AFi users out there with Leaf backs. That's a very small number of users to make production commitments to in the case some of them desire to upgrade at some point, which could be 3 - 5 - 7 years.

I do still have Leaf users who are using the same digital back, whether it's a Valeo 11/17/22 or Aptus 17/22 from 5 - 7 years ago. So, AFi upgraders could be a very very small number on an annual basis.

Regardless of Leaf's intentions, it could be economically unfeasible.

I would think much would depend on what happens with the AFi/Hy6 platform, if it ever resurrects. I've heard rumors Rollei or Franke Heidecke may start back up at some point, but it's hard to say what their future is currently until there's more evidence of a rescue. But if they did find some way to continue, and the AFi/Hy6 production began again, perhaps that would be an impetus for Leaf to return to AFi digital back production.

Just hypothesizing.

Steve Hendrix

arashm

"There are a couple of new backs coming which I will have more news on soon."

well that's very exciting :)

yaya

My guess would be that while Leaf might want to offer upgrade paths for AFi customers who stick with the platform (and why wouldn't they?), it may be cost prohibitive to do so.

The Leaf digital back for the AFi was never just an Aptus with an AFi mount, or just like an Aptus with a V mount. It used the same sensor, same LCD screen, but had a different chassis, different internal electronics. So I'm sure much more expense to keep this going than just the same Aptus back just with a different mount.

Leaf does support camera platforms which are no longer in production, just as Phase One does - Contax, Hasselblad H, etc. But I'm betting there are many many more Contax users, for example, than AFi users on the planet. Let's say there are 200 AFi users out there with Leaf backs. That's a very small number of users to make production commitments to in the case some of them desire to upgrade at some point, which could be 3 - 5 - 7 years.

I do still have Leaf users who are using the same digital back, whether it's a Valeo 11/17/22 or Aptus 17/22 from 5 - 7 years ago. So, AFi upgraders could be a very very small number on an annual basis.

Regardless of Leaf's intentions, it could be economically unfeasible.

I would think much would depend on what happens with the AFi/Hy6 platform, if it ever resurrects. I've heard rumors Rollei or Franke Heidecke may start back up at some point, but it's hard to say what their future is currently until there's more evidence of a rescue. But if they did find some way to continue, and the AFi/Hy6 production began again, perhaps that would be an impetus for Leaf to return to AFi digital back production.

Just hypothesizing.

Steve Hendrix
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Stuart Richardson

Thanks for the answer Steve, it makes a lot of sense. I did not realize that the AFi back itself was any different than the aptus backs other than in its mount. This would be different from the 54LV which I used, as it was identical on all platforms, barring the mount. I also understand that there are relatively few users, but I assumed that since they have already done all the technical and R&D work to design these mounts, it would be a very simply matter to continue to offer them. If they are substantially different from the aptus series, than the decision not to support them makes a bit more sense.

Yair -- I am sorry if the answer seems like beating a dead horse to you. I did not realize you have answered it before. If it is such a common question, maybe that is an indication that it is something that Leaf customers and potential customers care a lot about....

David K

Workshop Member

As a long time Leaf guy I'm guessing Yair may have suggested this on more than one occasion... and it was beaten to death on at least four of them :) Pure speculation on my part. In any event, thank you for clarifying things Yair.

yongfei

>Capture One 5.0.1 supports files from all Aptus-II and AFi-II backs (including reading Leaf's profiles and curves) and a future version will add tethered support.

Good to know that. It means that I can use PC laptop to shoot Leaf tethered.

Also, I try to find an online price for Leaf Aptus 5. But can only find the price in Euro. Does anyone know what is the USD price? I may consider one if the price is good.

yaya

Thanks for the answer Steve, it makes a lot of sense. I did not realize that the AFi back itself was any different than the aptus backs other than in its mount. This would be different from the 54LV which I used, as it was identical on all platforms, barring the mount. I also understand that there are relatively few users, but I assumed that since they have already done all the technical and R&D work to design these mounts, it would be a very simply matter to continue to offer them. If they are substantially different from the aptus series, than the decision not to support them makes a bit more sense.

Yair -- I am sorry if the answer seems like beating a dead horse to you. I did not realize you have answered it before. If it is such a common question, maybe that is an indication that it is something that Leaf customers and potential customers care a lot about....
No worries Stuart (and Steve and David), sorry if my post came across as offensive.

Actually I have never discussed this in public, however there were several threads here and over on LL during the last few months on this subject and a few magazines have published this info as well.

The known facts are that the rights for the AFi/ Hy6 body belong to Leaf Imaging (A Phase One company) and as such, they will probably be of better use in designing other, future platforms, rather than in setting up a new manufacturing line, sourcing component vendors etc.
IP for the lenses is likely split between F&H, Schneider and Zeiss and again to make them one will have to re-build a manufacturing line.

The AFi backs utilised an advanced power management system as they were able to use the camera's own battery and/ or their own battery and/ or the computer's power. They shared only a few components with the Aptus-II backs so keeping production and R&D running for a relatively small install base is hard to justify.

Yair

Geoff

Do you mean the IP rights for the AFI/Hy6 camera body, or rather for the AFI digital back (for mounting on the Hy6)?

Geoff