The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Re: Leaf

Geoff

Hi Paul,

I think I understand your point of view as it is hard to get a complete picture without having access to the actual agreements between the few parties that are involved.

Specifically in this case, there is a lot more going on that cannot be shared and it will be irresponsible on my part to provide information that is not meant to be public. but that's life as they say...

This has less to do with wanting to be transparent and more to do with having to keep the integrity and continuity of those agreements.

Anyway, I've been asked to provide info on the current offerings and was "dragged" into this AFi discussion...to be honest I was expecting it and I have no problem answering as many question as I can, but obviously I do want to try and serve the interest of customers as well as the interest of the companies involved.

Best

Yair
Yair -

My apologies for dragging you into the AFI discussion: it seemed a bit unclear if you were refering to the back or the camera at the time, and I was looking for clarification as to the extent of Leaf/Phase interest in the body (not just the back).

Given that the F&H project for the Hy6 was set up to be adaptable to three different ownerships (Rollei, Sinar, and Leaf), confusion is clearly possible. Perhaps there were clear dividing lines, perhaps it was "if it works, we're all fine, if it doesn't, it doesn't matter". As you suggest, some of this has to be behind closed doors.

On the consumer side of the fence, as long as we can make it work and get what we need, and know where to go.... all should be well. Hope still springs eternal as to further revival of the platform, or at least that Sinar keeps supporting it.

Again, sorry to cause complications.

Geoff

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Forgive me if this has been answered before but, do the current Leaf Aptus-II backs require a wakeup cable on technical cameras?
Nope, never needed one either.
Actually, I think it's a feature of the Dalsa sensors in general, isn't it? I know the Phase P40+ and P65+ have a "zero" latency setting and don't need them now either. However I also understand Phase claims they remain desirable as noise can build up if the back is left on for any length of time. Also, I understand back battery life is reduced in that mode... Is that different for Leaf?

etrigan63

I read somewhere (here probably) that the P65+ & P40+ also support Live View in C1v5 as well. Is this correct? I do like the larger screens on the Leaf.

etrigan63

I've got the iPhone and the Leaf software. Now I need a Leaf to test it out on!

Dear Santa Claus,
I have been a very good boy this year and would like the following:

Phase One 645DF w/80mm LS Lens
Alpa TC with 35mm lens and new rosewood grips and viewfinder
Leaf Aptus-II 10

A note from you to my wife telling her I did not sell the house to get this stuff.

etrigan63

Still want to review the system, Yair! Or make that Christmas list happen, but I don't see how at the moment. Also, I'm not a big fan of Alexa Mengual's work (not my cup of tea). Looking more for cityscape/landscape work.

yaya

Actually, I think it's a feature of the Dalsa sensors in general, isn't it? I know the Phase P40+ and P65+ have a "zero" latency setting and don't need them now either. However I also understand Phase claims they remain desirable as noise can build up if the back is left on for any length of time. Also, I understand back battery life is reduced in that mode... Is that different for Leaf?
Dalsa and Kodak use different sensor architecture. I am not sure about the new 40/50 Kodak ones but the older models were slower to re-set after capture compared to the Dalsas. The Dalsa sensor wakes up and flushes instantly, which means that you can keep it off and not worry about "preparing" it for the next capture with a wake-up or a 2-shot cable.

Leaf backs use an advanced power management architecture that allows some of the internal components to be in "stand-by" mode between captures and wake-up to a signal from the body or the lens. The fan helps in regulating the working temperature so noise build-up is not an issue.

In terms of battery life I don't think that there's much of a difference between a P65+ and an Aptus-II 10 but I admit I've never measured that side-by-side.

Yair