The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Changing MF Landscape: What's a Mother to do?

fotografz

I think Jack and Guy getting involved with MFD via the ZD illustrates the positive side of the "Changing landscape."

Basically, as I see it, Mamiya filled the vacuum left in the market when Kodak abandoned making digital backs (undercutting their digital sensor customers wasn't a great idea)... except that Mamiya has gone Kodak one better ... 22 megs in a rectangular format at a lower price point.

It's not a "do it all" system, nor is that required by either Jack or Guy. The ZD takes it's place in their overall kit in the same manner MF would have with film, and will be application specific if I don't miss my guess.

Assuming they both got the 645 AFD-II, the range of lenses available to them has exploded ... Mamiya makes a number of excellent lenses including some select optics made prior to the "digital" offerings now coming on line ... and all the Zeiss V lenses are available for use with that camera/back ... (this may be a dangerous option for a gear slut like Guy ... LOL !) I can tell you from personal experience that 22 megs seems perfect for many of the legacy V lenses ... something about the resolving power meshing with the pixel pitch just right.

Complete set up, for less than a Canon 1DsMKIII body ... which cannot compete when it comes to IQ. Not bad, not bad at all.

PeterA

Indeed - a slippery slope MFD is...

oh and as a friendly aside...the detail in Jack's handsome face shows that the focal point was on the eyebrows not the eye...

higher resolution has costs as well as benefits.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's not a "do it all" system, nor is that required by either Jack or Guy. The ZD takes it's place in their overall kit in the same manner MF would have with film, and will be application specific if I don't miss my guess.
That about sums it up for me. Gives me significantly more detail for my landscape work than any Canon, Nikon or Leica DSLR body could at around the same cost.

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For 13k for 3 or 4 lenses it's almost a no brainer too. Ray is coming over this week to shoot it against the D3 in the studio on the handguns that he makes. Even with the 80mm it should do a excellent job. I figured it this way when i bought it a couple jobs and it's paid for, flat out. That is a decent ROI for me. If and when they come out with a replacement how much i may lose is very little to upgrade. The back alone new is 7K which is nothing for MF. But it is not a canon nor a Nikon either and will NOT keep up in any way when it comes to speed. It has a DMR size LCD and takes 4 seconds to see a review image. But for most uses it will be perfect. Not everyday you get a 13x17 300 dpi native file for this cost

robmac

As an aside - downloaded the soft copy of the Jan-Feb 08 issue of Photo Techniques for the "Battle of The Digital Giants" article comparing 1Ds2 to an H3D-39, H2D w/P45+ and Linhof 679CS w/ P45+. Great read for those that haven't seen it.

Slippery slope indeed.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I feel one foot sliding already....:eek:
But I was looking dreamily at a Leaf back, now at this price point do I have a real excuse?
-bob

JimCollum

I was afraid that you would say that.
i have the Leaf 75s, and absolutely love it!! I"m using it with the Mamiya 645, as well as a Horseman SW-D.

One of the things that was noticed in the Photo Technique article from above, was the difference in depth, tone and resolution between the P45+ on an H body with H glass, vs the Linhof with the Schneider/Rodenstock Digitar glass. (with the Digitar coming out on top). I can see that difference when shooting with the Mamiya 35mm, Zeiss Distagon 40 and the Rodenstock 35mm Digitar

jim

Guy Mancuso

Jim which one looks better to your eye for look. I have a Hassy 40mm that I want to try out and if not I will get the Mamiya 35mm

D

DougDolde

But Jim, in all fairness, I have been seeing your images online for quite a few years and you make fantastic images whatever gear you use.

JimCollum

Jim which one looks better to your eye for look. I have a Hassy 40mm that I want to try out and if not I will get the Mamiya 35mm
if i had to keep one (and i have both and will be selling one)... i'd keep the 40mm. It's bigger, heavier, no AF... but it has that Zeiss look to it when wide open.

coarse.. there's a bit of a price difference.. $900 used for the Mamiya vs $2000 used for the Zeiss

Guy Mancuso

But Jim, in all fairness, I have been seeing your images online for quite a few years and you make fantastic images whatever gear you use.
Good shooters can shoot there way out of a paper bag any day of the week with any gear. Jim certainly is one of them but good gear helps you achieve your output.

Guy Mancuso

if i had to keep one (and i have both and will be selling one)... i'd keep the 40mm. It's bigger, heavier, no AF... but it has that Zeiss look to it when wide open.

coarse.. there's a bit of a price difference.. $900 used for the Mamiya vs $2000 used for the Zeiss
Thanks Jim , I will try it and see

mark1958

Steve Hendrix of PPR Atlanta has a rebutal to many of the points raised in this article. I hope he will chime in. Many of his concerns has to do with the Hassy vs Phase comparison. His concern is that the software RAW file defaults are quite different making some of the comparisons unequal, and therefore some of the conclusions incorrect.

As an aside - downloaded the soft copy of the Jan-Feb 08 issue of Photo Techniques for the "Battle of The Digital Giants" article comparing 1Ds2 to an H3D-39, H2D w/P45+ and Linhof 679CS w/ P45+. Great read for those that haven't seen it.

Slippery slope indeed.