The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ALPA users , what about your lens kit ? and other stuff...

steflaurent974

Hi,
I use an ALPA swa, with :

-Schneider-Kreuznach 24 ApoDigitar + center filter.
-Schneider-Kreuznach 47mm XL ApoDigitar.

And a P25+. I also use a rollfilmback 6X7 (with the 47xl) and I am about to go for a 6x9 ALPA rollfilm back.

I'd like to extend my lens kit, with something I can use with the P25+ and the 6x9 rollfilm back. First I was thinking of the SK 35XL or the ALPA Apo Helvetar, but now I am thinking of longer lens ( 55 72 perhaps).
I am not sure of my decision by now, go for the wide with the 35 or get a longer lens wich can be of large use with the 6X9 back.

What about your lens kit ? Do you use a ground glass ? Are you on film or digital ? Do you shoot handheld or mostly on tripod ?

Have a nice day...:)

PeterA

Cant help you from experience because I shoot 99% of the time with Schneider 35mm in fact I just sold my 24mm Schneider- great lens but never used it.

However I have done extensive tests with ArTec using longer focal lengths from ( Rodenstock in testing shift and tilt ) I think ALL your lenses will become really worthwhile -if you shoot on tripod and use either tethered shooting or ground glass for focus exactitude. I dont shoot in those conditions with the Alpa - because after seeing and using an arTec - thats where I want to go.

The Alpa for me is peerless wide angle digi shooter - and thats what I use for. I just wish that teh rodenstock 28HR was out there - before I bouhgt a 24 and 35 combo. Today - I woudl go for a 28/4 combination - only because I think teh super wides @ 23 and 24mm - are just too wide for my uses

BUT

again if you are shooting with ground glass on a tripod - you can and will use a lot more focal lengths than I ever will with an Alpa so feel safe in any purchase -it wil be good -al you have to decide is which ones to buy! -:)

Hope this helps
Pete

micek

I have both an Alpa XY and a SWA, and I shoot with 24mm, 35mm and 47mm Schneider XL lenses. I use a Hasselblad RFX finder to focus with. I shoot both digital -Aptus 22- and film -Hasselblad 6x6 film holders. My next purchase will be a 70mm Rodenstock lens.

steflaurent974

Peter : for sure the ALPA is a wide shooter, I do use it with the 47xl handhel or the 24 wich I find too wide for street handheld shooting : you cannot put an swa at 50cm of the nose of un unknow guy (if your name is not Bruce GILDEN) in the street.
I am beginning to use an hasselblad focusing screen with the Rfx viewfinder and the 4x magnifier, that's why I am planning to go for something like a 72 or 80mm lens.
For this purpose I am thinking of a TC too !

Micek : that is interesting, because I do think initially to go for the 35mm to complete the wide set : 24 35 47 ...But wich lens do you use the most ? I am no sure of the utility of a 35 in my setup.
You are using an hasselblad back : did I miss something ? I thought one can't use these with the ALPA because of the lack of film winding mechanism ?

Paratom

I have decided to go 35 and 60 both Rodenstock HR lenses and I do use a ground glass (ArTec).
My experience is limited though since I have used the system not as much as I thought I would. This is not caused by the system (which I like a lot) but by my limited time right now.

I like the fast Rodenstock lenses, which are excellent even wide open.
If you shoot in windy condition, or scenes with people included or water it can come in nice to keep the lens open and short exp times.

micek

Micek : that is interesting, because I do think initially to go for the 35mm to complete the wide set : 24 35 47 ...But wich lens do you use the most ? I am no sure of the utility of a 35 in my setup.
You are using an hasselblad back : did I miss something ? I thought one can't use these with the ALPA because of the lack of film winding mechanism ?/QUOTE]

I use the 47mm the most, but I do use the 35mm very often when doing architectural assignments.

Hasselblad film holders can easily be used on the Alpa: all you have to do is wind the holder onto shot 1 on a Hassy body (or simply with a pen or screwdriver or penknife) and after that you simply wind it forward on the Alpa itself.

gogopix

Subscriber
I have to agree with Peter on the 35mm vs 24. I mostly use 35mm and 47mm. curiously, I use the 47 as 'walk around with ALPA TC P65+, zero latency, quiet shutter sort of, and sometimes even without the viewfinder (one gets pretty good a approximate sighting and the 47 is wide enough that most street shots work.
Both 35 and 47 stich in PTGui, though you can lose a lot of vertical from warping. So I go vertical- and stich 47 x 5 or 35x3 to get 24mm equiv.

I do mostly travel, and this is a really compact kit.

Victor

steflaurent974

Micek : I still don't undestand the hasselblad rollfilm back thing : when your on shot one you can't advance the film withour a body , can't you ?

Victor : it seems to be a really good travel kit indeed. I use an SWC to replace the 35mm. So maybe a 72L will be the one !

micek

Micek : I still don't undestand the hasselblad rollfilm back thing : when your on shot one you can't advance the film withour a body , can't you ?/QUOTE]
Yes, you can.
Load film. Wind it on to shot 1. Attach the film holder to the Alpa. Take your shot as you would on a Hasselblad body. Detach the holder from the camera. With a ballpoint pen, little screwdriver or any pointed object (or a Hassy body itself) push the geared wheel on the side of the holder until you get to frame 2. Reattach holder to camera body. From frame 2 to frame 12 you don't have to do this anymore, simply wind it forward with the little black lever on the holder's side.