The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strategy Advice

PeterA

Mark1958: - re $16,500 cost - why do you 'need' 3 lenses - I can guarantee you that once you have tried the 24 and the 35 - and compared them against any other - you will just shoot these two. Think of the Alpa as an SWC - except you can get that same quality ( if not better) in various wides. You don't need a lot of wides. You dont need a 12with shift either unless you are into architectural photography - You only 'need' a 12TC and either a Schneider 24mm or 35 mm and their viewfinder with a appropriate mask- If you have a digi back then total cost should be far less than $10K - check Badger prices.

Marc W: You have to use lenses mounted in Alpa helical mount from Alpa or made for Alpa in Alpa helical mount by Schneider or Rodenstock - everything is bought through Alpa dealers.
re dealer help : there is nothing technical to get to know about Alpa - it is the anti gearhead camera really cos there is nothing to know - slap digi back on one side using mounting plate from Alpa which matches your back and lens on the other - really simple mounting system.

one caveat -

You may like to get your dealer to make any fine shim adjustments with your back mounting plate - once this is done you have a system which will maximise the potential of your digi back or film back and choice of lens.

I have to get one of those white tent/bags you use to shoot product shots in and then I can do a pictorial walk through via photos of the Alpa system and how it all fits together and why I like it....

Last edited:

fotografz

Thanks a LOT Guy ... I was safe not knowing where to buy ... now I'm sunk : -)

Gotta re-read this whole thread to figure out what to get. I think I answered my own question about the lenses .. it looks like all new ones are mandatory.

You are ALL pushers ... a Drug Lord would be envious : -)

fotografz

A pusher with pictures ... just what I need : -)

God, this forum is so good it's bad.

Lalalalalalalalala ... I can't hear you.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Checking body parts all i have left are bad knees. wonder what i can get for that. Starting to want one of these. This is REALLY BAD

Guy Mancuso

Okay so who has the biggest sensor size. This is really starting to get me in trouble. So go with TC and a 35mm digitar but what back for cheap. i want LCD so i can see what i am getting

Guy Mancuso

Alpa 12SWA Body Price: $3,797.00

Alpa 12TC Body Price: $1,581.00

Alpa Apo-Alpar 4.5/35 mm Price: $2,990.00

So a TC and Lens= $ 4571

Guy Mancuso

Did not see the 24mm which actually maybe perfect

Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/24 mm XL

Price: $4,075.00

SKU: 160025020
Size: 5.6/24m
Medium Format Lens: Schneider Copal 0

Qty:

Email a Friend. No don't e-mail a friend they will hate you in the morning

mark1958

Wow.. a lot of responses so early in the morning.. at least it is here on the west coast.

To comment on a few things, the camera is 4K, viewfinder, ground glass, and mount for the digital back are all extra. This brings the cost of the camera and min. accessories to about 7K. Then there are the lenses.

My current schneider digitars can be converted to the helical mount for 1000 to 1400 each. Probably not worth it.. Better to sell those and start new.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Mark

Look what u started !! LOL !! Log on to see Guy already buying the system. A REAL surprise ! He might beat me to it and a month ago didn't think I should ! How about an Alpa workshop ? Seriously, like Guy, which back has the largest sensor AND user friendly software ? Just lost my Phase One contact so am REALLY wide open !

This is an expensive forum!

Jim

David K

Workshop Member
Mark,
I've been considering the Alpa as well and was originally put off by the price, but I was probably pricing more gear than I need. I think an upgrade to the Aptus 75 from your 65 (for crop factor reasons) coupled with the Alpa TC and the 24 will give you most of what you are looking for at a "reasonable price". I believe there are workflow issues with regard to lens cast which you should look into before making the plunge. Lots of talk about this on various forums. The other alternative, which is what I'm doing, is stitching. I'm using the Contax on my 75S and find stitching with the Contax 35 3.5 Distagon (or the Hassy 40 4.0 CFE IF) is a piece of cake. I've stitched 3 rows high and 7 across with no problem (other than the size of the file!!!) with amazing results.

mark1958

David.. I have been hearing about the cast problem as well and truthfully there is a magneta or red cast to some of my shots with the Leaf back. I noticed when i compared a shot from the 5D and leaf Hassy when i printed a comparison. The 40CFE IF is an incredible lens but with the CF adapter that would be another 6K or so plus back upgrade. To be honest, I might just take delivery of the 1DsmKIII for now and see how much real difference there is compared to my hassy H2 and aptus 65. For my prints that are usually no larger than 16x24 the differences are not great. In some respects perhaps the Phase back is a better back.
However, i could use the money from the sale of my MF to get the best 3rd party lenses for the canon although I have a few like the 21mm distagon and 35mm COntax PC, and leica 100mm macro..

Mark,
I've been considering the Alpa as well and was originally put off by the price, but I was probably pricing more gear than I need. I think an upgrade to the Aptus 75 from your 65 (for crop factor reasons) coupled with the Alpa TC and the 24 will give you most of what you are looking for at a "reasonable price". I believe there are workflow issues with regard to lens cast which you should look into before making the plunge. Lots of talk about this on various forums. The other alternative, which is what I'm doing, is stitching. I'm using the Contax on my 75S and find stitching with the Contax 35 3.5 Distagon (or the Hassy 40 4.0 CFE IF) is a piece of cake. I've stitched 3 rows high and 7 across with no problem (other than the size of the file!!!) with amazing results.

woodyspedden

I'm not totally sure about this but I think the Leaf sensor is made by Dalsa which has not typically had IR problems so this is a bit of a mystery. What are the forums saying as to cause and remedy? I am thinking about going the ALPA route myself for my landscape work so am very interested in what is out there.

Woody Spedden

PeterA

Sinar and Leaf use Dalsa chips - even though Leaf is owned by Kodak...go figure -:)

hmmm I thought I was a rare bird regarding exotic camera gear..good to be in such enthusiastic company! LOL

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
: Strategy Advice

Woody

Not you too !! Welcome to the Alpa craze. Now we can really get a quantity discount. I'm thinking about a PhaseOne back but that is still to be determined. Keep us posted on your back search.

Jim

PSon

Mark,
As I wrote to you in details, I love the Contax 645 system for its great value and its incredible optics and camera functionality. But if you go with the back with adapter platform like the Sinar back then perhaps consider both the Contax 645 and Hy6 system.
-Son

mark1958

I think my biggest mistake was selling my contax 645.. I got worried about it being an unsupported system.. so went with the hasselblad H2--- and look where that is now.

I have appreciated the advice in this thread. Nonetheless, I am sitting tight at the moment.

Mark,
As I wrote to you in details, I love the Contax 645 system for its great value and its incredible optics and camera functionality. But if you go with the back with adapter platform like the Sinar back then perhaps consider both the Contax 645 and Hy6 system.
-Son