The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strategy Advice

mark1958

Here is my scenario. I have canon gear, a leaf aptus 65 digital back, hassy H2 system, and Rollei x act-2 both the medium format cameras are of the H mount.

I have decided to sell the Rollei because I just do not have the time to use the view camera. However, I do like the ability to have tilt-shift options.. mostly shift for landscapes. I realize that over the last year, I have used my Hasselblad/aptus mostly for landscapes. Of course at this point there are no real PC or shift options for the hasselblad and with them going to a closed system, it is not going to happen. I really do love the image quality obtained from the leaf back. I am supposed to hear from Leaf about the cost of a various upgrades in the next week or two. . If the cost of the upgrade is within reason, I have considered switching to one of the Mamiya systems but have not gotten great reviews from a few who have tried this route. The Hy6 is a great system but the lenses are cost prohibitive. The other problem with the MF system is the loss of portability (when traveling) or fast action shooting for birding.

So this is what I have considered---- Keeping or upgrading the Leaf back, selling my complete hasselblad system, and getting an Alpa 12SWA, for landscapes, and keeping some canon gear for traveling and wildlife shooting--perhaps the 40D or 1DmkIII and keeping the 5D. In regards to the Leaf back, I would prefer a less cropped sensor (e.g. the 75) but would perhaps not need the 75S since i would not need a fast frame rate for my purposes.
Any thoughts about this strategy? I am not sure what the Alpa would cost with the required accessories and perhaps 3 or 4 lenses to allow me to use the Leaf back but guessing about 16K and by selling the hasselblad and a few other items I probably would no longer need, I might be able to swing this. Mark

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mark it really comes down to use and it seems your mostly doing landscape than the Alpa maybe a good choice. Less bulk also. Now the Canon gear your keeping for wildlife than maybe all you really need is the 1dMKIII 1.3 crop will help with distance. Personally i think some of us just have to much and i don't mean that in a bad way but it is just not getting you the investment or use out of it. Hell I'm down to one system and i may not have enough elsewhere. Would love to have a MF system

PeterA

The Alpa is good for wide angle shots - I use a 12WA and 12TC with an Aptus 75 - the Alpa is best on a tripod - but it is a light system to carry around, I use a 24 and a 35 with he 35 getting most of the use - in my mind the weak link being the battery system on the MF digi back, I am looking at after market long charge battey pack. I like the low crop factor of the Leaf 75 and I dont need the speed of the 75s.

I also have a pretty comprehensive Canon system of L series lenses and a 1dsmk11. This system is now redundant for my purposes as I find I use the M8 for general shooting. I will be selling Canon as buy back into Leica R over time.

I am asking myself do I really need a MF system based on Rollei and Schneider glass to replace the H series Hasselblad? The answer for an amateur enthusiast is probably not.

So for me I have resolved the issue by using Alpa for wide. M8 for candid work.

This leaves Canon and Haselblad H - as big weighty non used things sitting on shelves....I think Haselblad may be the first to go in order to pay for some pretty exotic R glass I have in mind - or maybe Canon or both...LOL -:)

My ambiiton is to end up with Alpa for (wide and large sized prints) and Leica M and/or R as my 35mm systems - the Synar/AFi will have to offer something really special for me to buy into an expensive new lens system.

I dont need the constant upgrade cycle that Canon like to lock people into - and apart from the 85/1.2L I dont need any piece of glass that Canon make either.

My only caveat on Canon is that if you liek shooting super tele - then they DO make excellent glass WITH autofocus. - i dont really have any use for this stuff currently - nad If I did - Leica make some exotic beauties...

good luck there are no correct decisions - have fun.

mark1958

Guy and Peter

THanks for the comments. Peter have you tried using a longer focal length on the Alpa 12WA? I think i am leaning towards selling my hasselblad and keeping the Canon and getting an alpa/aptus set up. I am going to think through this more..

The Alpa is good for wide angle shots - I use a 12WA and 12TC with an Aptus 75 - the Alpa is best on a tripod - but it is a light system to carry around, I use a 24 and a 35 with he 35 getting most of the use - in my mind the weak link being the battery system on the MF digi back, I am looking at after market long charge battey pack. I like the low crop factor of the Leaf 75 and I dont need the speed of the 75s.

I also have a pretty comprehensive Canon system of L series lenses and a 1dsmk11. This system is now redundant for my purposes as I find I use the M8 for general shooting. I will be selling Canon as buy back into Leica R over time.

I am asking myself do I really need a MF system based on Rollei and Schneider glass to replace the H series Hasselblad? The answer for an amateur enthusiast is probably not.

So for me I have resolved the issue by using Alpa for wide. M8 for candid work.

This leaves Canon and Haselblad H - as big weighty non used things sitting on shelves....I think Haselblad may be the first to go in order to pay for some pretty exotic R glass I have in mind - or maybe Canon or both...LOL -:)

My ambiiton is to end up with Alpa for (wide and large sized prints) and Leica M and/or R as my 35mm systems - the Synar/AFi will have to offer something really special for me to buy into an expensive new lens system.

I dont need the constant upgrade cycle that Canon like to lock people into - and apart from the 85/1.2L I dont need any piece of glass that Canon make either.

My only caveat on Canon is that if you liek shooting super tele - then they DO make excellent glass WITH autofocus. - i dont really have any use for this stuff currently - nad If I did - Leica make some exotic beauties...

good luck there are no correct decisions - have fun.

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Mark
I have tried some 'range focusing' with the 35mm on alpa 12TC and it works quite well-Digitars well calibrated
I an anxious too to try the long FL

Victor

Guy Mancuso

I was looking at these at Badger the TC looks very nice. Wondering though how is shifting with the backs these days. i remember there was some serious shifting problems with these backs I was think a cheap way to get into it with a 35 lens and maybe a used 22 back. Than do stitching for the wide stuff.

gogopix

Subscriber
I was looking at these at Badger the TC looks very nice. Wondering though how is shifting with the backs these days. i remember there was some serious shifting problems with these backs I was think a cheap way to get into it with a 35 lens and maybe a used 22 back. Than do stitching for the wide stuff.
now, I got my 12TC at Badger, then two weeks later, Guy is handling them...

anybody see M8's on the B&S

:D

PeterA

Guy - Shifting with digi backs and wides has issues. Also dont mean to be a kill joy - but I wouldnt use anything less than an (almost) full frame digi chip with the Alpa - why pay for the glass you are going to hang off it , only to not get the benefit.?? dont even think about it. That said if you can get a 22 megapixel veersion of a 1.1x crop factor back - go ahead.

As for longer lenses unless you are in a stusio environment - how are you going to focus like you are used to with your MF or 35mm gear...remember this is your eyes only focus technique with hyperfocal DOF delivering for you...

If I didnt have the Leaf back - there is no way I would look at Alpa the digi back allows you to scope out proper aperture and speed and to some extent focus - you can also shoot tethered via Alpa in a studio - but again no real advantage over a MF or decent 35mm outfit here - and the MF digi back on a proper camera with tilt and shift will do a much better job.

PeterA

Mark - no problem - email me at Peteyga at gmail.com

( I believe our emails are under our profile)?

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Peter had a feeling you were going to say exactly that. because you really need the big sensor here

fotografz

Mark, it seems to me that if you are used to working with a 6X7 view camera, then the ALPA should represent the same sort of deliberate work flow in the field without the weight and bulk. However, it depends to what degree you use T/S and to what end.

I'm using a Rollei Xact with large coverage Rodenstocks for studio table-top ... mostly for depth-of-field control and selective focus using live view directly on the computer screen ... verses perspective correction. The back is a H3D/39 using a calibrated Kapture Group sliding back. The thought of dragging that outfit on remote location gives me back cramps.

Of interest to current 645 users is the Hartblei T/S lenses which I've seen in action and am considering for my Mamiya 645 with Aptus 75s mounted. Take a look ....

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/hartblei45.shtml

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Guy,

FWIW, I've spoken to a gal in NY who does landscapes, and an architect in Boca who does his own images, both of whom use the Alpa with Phase One. They're using the 12 SWA and using shift with great success. When you really get serious about an Alpa (later today!! LOL!), email Thomas Weber one of the owners. Nice guy and very honest about what it will OR won't do. Just my 2 cents worth. Still doing my own homework...read stashing cash !

Cheers,

Jim

mark1958

Hey all thanks for the great comments and the email discussions. I am of course even more confused than ever.. LOL.. just kidding.. just no perfect solution and many options. I did talk to a Alpa dealer today... pricey is all i can say

mark1958

Well i just added up the cost of the Alpa 12SWA, and minimum accessories and 3 lenses, 24XL, 47XL, and 80mm in alpa mount--- 16,500. i am going to have to start selling organs now too.... wow.. i guess i underestimated.

fotografz

Hey Mark, you only need one eye to focus. Can't you get big bucks for a working eye?

16 grand is pocket change ... I just dodged the Hy6 bullet ... Leaf AFi w/Aptus 75s, prism finder, and 4 Schneider AF digitally optimized lenses = $61,864.

Not gonna happen.

So, maybe the ALPA is a possibility !!!!! Think of all the money I'll be saving ... LOL !!!

QUESTION FOR THE ALPA GURUs:

I have some digital lenses for my Rollei Xact. Schneider Digitar 28/2.8 L-92 degree, Rodenstock APO-Sironar-digital 45mm, and a Rodenstock APO Sironar-digital 90/5.6 ... all
in Copal 0. All three of these have good coverage for T/S ( where some digital view lenses don't).

What accessories are worth the investment?

Also, where do you guys shop for this? (I know what dealer you use can be very important).

Can these lenses be used on the ALPA ... and which model ALPA would you recommend for the most versatile applications? Probably would use the Aptus 75s with Mamiya mount.