The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strategy Advice

fotografz

Thierry, Phocus is being demonstrated in an Alpha form right now, so Beta testing is yet to come .... or may be underway already. It was thought to be available by late January, but I don't see how that will happen ... and I don't really care how long they take as long as it is right when launched. My bet is early Spring in the US.

I've been working with Flexcolor for some years now, and participate in a worldwide Hasselblad Digital forum of Professional photographers who share tips and tricks. Flex does more, and has complex feature combinations many folks can't appreciate unless you use it on a daily basis. No different than any other good RAW software I'm sure.

Not to discount any one else's opinion, But if I were entering the MF digital market fresh, there would be two systems I would consider: Hasselblad and Hy6 (Probably Sinar if they update their backs in the near future). Then it would come down to what intuitively feels the best to do the work you do, and who has the most immediate/local technical support. All the rest is arguing minutia.

I view MF cameras as just boxes to hang stuff off of. Contax 645, Mamiya 645AFD-II & RZ Pro-IID, Hasselbald H, Hasselblad V, Rollei, Hy6 etc. .... all with slightly different attributes to consider against your needs ... but essentially boxes.

In the leap-frog race concerning digital backs, the race is constantly neck and neck, with a front runner's lead position evaporating in a matter of months. The differences are usually minutia hyped up by back makers to appear further ahead than they really are.

Lenses are a personal thing. I use most all of the H/C lenses on my H3Ds when AF is important, but have two CF adapters to use one of the widest selection of MF lenses on the planet, from fisheye to 500mm when I have the leisure opportunity to shoot Manual Focus. Relatively inexpensive but excellent optics these days. I gather that the Hy6 also offers the expanded possibility to use existing Rollei glass ... which is why my selection would be between the H and Hy6 where I starting afresh. Since I already had ALL of the CFi & CFE Zeiss lenses from Fisheye up to 350mm my decision was easy.

A word in support of the lowly Mamiya 645 AFD-II often discounted in these discussions: I use this camera with an Aptus 75s and an adapter to mount any Zeiss V lens ever made (including the F & FE optics). I did the same thing with my Contax 645 before selling it. As a "box" this camera works just as good as any, and is quite easy to operate for tripod work.

BTW, Multishot backs are very specialized pieces of equipment requiring very specific needs and shooting conditions. I do not own one for this reason ... not to mention the cost. However, as an advertising person, I have shot with photographers who DO use them for our static product work and they are amazing. Point being that in these discussions amongst mere mortals, perhaps the gear closet of the Gods shouldn't weigh-in on the argument to heavily.

Last edited:
T

thsinar

hi Marc,

Thanks for the info. You're right, better later and working then rushed.

And you are also "damn" right on the SW issue: when one knows it by heart then one only starts to appreciate its features and complexity. I am sure that Flexcolor does the work right. Some will tell you "this or that" SW is "crap", but have only a little overview of it. Sure also, I understand some who do not like the workflow or needing a different one. It is difficult to argue then, and usually I don't.

Actually the multishot backs are not more expensive than the corresponding single shot back, at least with Sinar: the eVolution 75 (33 MPx) has excatly the same price as its equivalent 33 MPX single shot, the eMotion 75.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry, Phocus is being demonstrated in an Alpha form right now, so Beta testing is yet to come .... My bet is early Spring in the US.

I've been working with Flexcolor for some years now, and participate in a worldwide Hasselblad Digital forum of Professional photographers who share tips and tricks. Flex does more, and has complex feature combinations many folks can't appreciate unless you use it on a daily basis. No different than any other good RAW software I'm sure.

BTW, Multishot backs are very specialized pieces of equipment requiring very specific needs and shooting conditions. I do not own one for this reason ... not to mention the cost. However, as an advertising person, I have shot with photographers who DO use them for our static product work and they are amazing. Point being that in these discussions amongst mere mortals, perhaps the gear closet of the Gods shouldn't weigh-in on the argument to heavily.

fotografz

hi Marc,

Actually the multishot backs are not more expensive than the corresponding single shot back, at least with Sinar: the eVolution 75 (33 MPx) has exactly the same price as its equivalent 33 MPX single shot, the eMotion 75.

Best regards,
Thierry
Thanks Thierry. I think I knew that the Sinar 4 shot eVolution 75 was comparably priced to the Sinar eMotion 75. However, one is strictly a tethered back, and the other is a portable one with LCD.

My comment was referencing the Hasselblad CF/39 or 22-MS, a 4 Res back which also can be used as a fully portable unit without tether for full flexibly of application on most MF cameras ... OR the new H3D/39-MS integrated system camera ... available of course, at a cost. So, again, it depends on your applications and pocketbook : -)

T

thsinar

Yes, right!

Thanks for the info and nice day over there.

Cheers,
Thierry

Thanks Thierry. I think I knew that the Sinar 4 shot eVolution 75 was comparably priced to the Sinar eMotion 75. However, one is strictly a tethered back, and the other is a portable one with LCD.

My comment was referencing the Hasselblad CF/39 or 22-MS, a 4 Res back which also can be used as a fully portable unit without tether for full flexibly of application on most MF cameras ... OR the new H3D/39-MS integrated system camera ... available of course, at a cost. So, again, it depends on your applications and pocketbook : -)

S

Samuel Axelsson

Hi DavidK,

Yes, it is my New Year resolution to finally get my website up and running asap, where I will post my articles and experiences. Hopefully, it will be fun and useful to other Contax 645 users.

David
David, I'm looking forward to read your Contax reports. I'm an avid Contax user/owner myself.
I'm at this moment using H2 for my digital work but if the new PhaseOne camera isn't what I'm expecting I'll probably change the mount to a Contax again. I left Contax because it was discontinued and now that H2 is discontinued too I see my error leaving the Contax system. Never been more comfortable photographing than with the Contax 645.

/Samuel

David Klepacki

David, I'm looking forward to read your Contax reports. I'm an avid Contax user/owner myself.
I'm at this moment using H2 for my digital work but if the new PhaseOne camera isn't what I'm expecting I'll probably change the mount to a Contax again. I left Contax because it was discontinued and now that H2 is discontinued too I see my error leaving the Contax system. Never been more comfortable photographing than with the Contax 645.

/Samuel
Hi Samuel,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I see that your website is coming along fine...it has a pleasant layout so far.

As far as the Phase back, I think you are going to love it. I now use the P30+, since for me the out-of-box color quality is the best I have seen so far. I rarely need any color correction, and the skin tones are perfect. If you shoot interiors that are fairly dark (like museums, churches etc.), it is even more incredible. With the Contax F2/80mm lens, at ISO 1600, it will autofocus in hand-held situations where it is really tough to even see through the viewfinder.

As much as I love the Contax 645, it comes down to the lenses. If you have the lenses that you like with the H2, then I cannot honestly recommend changing over to the Contax 645. But if you are unhappy with that system, do not be afraid to come back to Contax.

David

S

Samuel Axelsson

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I see that your website is coming along fine...it has a pleasant layout so far.

As far as the Phase back, I think you are going to love it. I now use the P30+, since for me the out-of-box color quality is the best I have seen so far. I rarely need any color correction, and the skin tones are perfect. If you shoot interiors that are fairly dark (like museums, churches etc.), it is even more incredible. With the Contax F2/80mm lens, at ISO 1600, it will autofocus in hand-held situations where it is really tough to even see through the viewfinder.

As much as I love the Contax 645, it comes down to the lenses. If you have the lenses that you like with the H2, then I cannot honestly recommend changing over to the Contax 645. But if you are unhappy with that system, do not be afraid to come back to Contax.

David
I'm actually very happy with the H2. Regarding quality and functionality there's nothing to complain about. The problem is Hasselblad as company and their policies/prices. I deeply dislike the direction they are taking and even if I'm happy with the camera I'm sure for my experience that I won't loose in quality if I change platform. The first pictures you see on my website are the H2 (left) and Contax (Right).
Right now It depends on what PhaseOne has to offer...:rolleyes:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Re: FOCUS SHIFT ISSUE

The Alpa is good for wide angle shots - I use a 12WA and 12TC with an Aptus 75 - the Alpa is best on a tripod - but it is a light system to carry around, I use a 24 and a 35 with he 35 getting most of the use - in my mind the weak link being the battery system on the MF digi back, I am looking at after market long charge battey pack. I like the low crop factor of the Leaf 75 and I dont need the speed of the 75s.
This is about the only thready I coud find where forum members could possibly answer my question .

I have a RODENSTOCK APO-SIRONAR-DIGITAL 4,5/35mm lens , which I did not use very often up to now .
Currently it is mounted on a lensboard (110) for my ARCA F-LINE METRIC .

Now , my intention is to get that lens adapted to be used with my ALPA12SWA and bring that lens to more use .

I got an E-mail answer from ALPA , stating , the adaption is possible and would cost about 1500CHF .
But the ALPA people also mentioned , that this lens is not recommended for
DB with pixel sizes smaller than 9µ and that an image quality loss will exist if backs with smaller pixel sizes are used . (7,2 or 6,8 µ) .

But an other remark causes some confusion , because I have never heard about this before .
The magic word is "focus shift phenomena".
They only gave a short explanation and no link to any qualified article or review .
It shortly said the following : If you focus at fully open aperture and have then finished your focusing and composition , you set your aperture to say f=11 or even f=16 , your focusing is now shifted about 0.1 to 0.3 mm .
They did not say in which direction (this does not matter here anyway , I believe) but it would make any shimming you have done to your back adapter obsolete and also not give you the optimum focus quality .

Can anyone share his/her experience regarding this issue and possibly give a link to any review ? ? ?
Thank you .

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't have specific information about the focus shift characteristics of the 35/4.5 but I've certainly run into it with Leica M glass, particularly Noctilux & 35 Summilux lenses.

The problem is that the lens back or front focuses as you stop down and within a certain aperture range that takes focus outside of the acceptable depth of field that the smaller aperture provides. In the Leica cases you could optimize the lens for say f/1 or f/1.4 or f/2 and have to put up with slight front/back focus at f/4 but by f/5.6 or f/8 onwards your depth of field would pretty much mask any loss of focus. On film you didn't necessarily notice this but now that we all pixel peep and sensor resolution is so fine and uncompromising we now notice these effects with glass from the 'film era'.

With respect to the lens on the Alpa, I guess you could have them optimise the calibration of the lens to the mount so that it focused accurately at f/8 or f/11. The downside obviously would be if you want to focus wide open on a ground glass - it would be out at f/4.5 via the loupe, or put another way if you focused at f/4.5 then f/8 or f/11 would be off.

I'd trust what the Alpa folks are telling you about suitability of the lens. They have little or no vested interest in this since they'll do the conversion work for you regardless.

Btw, even in their lens line up they do point out existing lenses in the range that they don't recommend for digital work.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Focus shift is an optical fact I'm afraid. Practical effect and degree of effect vary depending on lens and use.

I'm not a big fan of GG focusing for small micron backs anyway so I don't see this being an issue. But if you want to GG focus it can bite you for sure.

http://diglloyd.com/articles/Focus/FocusShift.html

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you aren't using the GG for focusing and are choosing to use either hyperfocal or zone/scale focusing, then getting the lens optimized for your expected apertures would solve the problem. I don't know about other Alpa users but I pretty much follow the recommendations of optimal performance when shooting f/8 - f/11 with my 47 APO-Digitar and 90 HR-W Digaron.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Well , this is a kind of "apologize" . I must confess , I really never ever heard of the
"focus shift" phenomena .
Therefore thank you Doug and Graham for your link and hints , which made me search intensive for "focus shift" in the net .
Unfortunately , the most interesting articles I found are all in english language and therefore sometimes , due to the many terms not so easy to understand for me .

Is it correct , that actually all lenses "suffer" the focus shift issue ? ? ?
The ones more than others ? ? ?

I understand , that this issue is only relevant when using a GG for focusing . My APO-SIRONAR-DIGITAL 4,5/35mm has only very little usage and seems to be optimized for f/11 . At least that is what the little control ticket said which came with the lens .
My intention for future work with my ALPA is , to use the GG for composing , especially for architecture shots and use the laser distometer and the new ALPA HPF rings for focusing . They should be available soon .
Or the hyperfocal method for landscape shooting .

Thanks again Doug and Graham . Merry x-mas to you .