The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cooke 945 "look" in MF

Tex

Subscriber Member
Are any lenses available in the MF world that have the "look" of vintage portrait lenses or the current Cooke 945? If not, are any adaptors available that will allow vintage/Cooke 945 lenses to be used on any MF body. (PS: my only interest is film).

Thanks!!

Are any lenses available in the MF world that have the "look" of vintage portrait lenses or the current Cooke 945? If not, are any adaptors available that will allow vintage/Cooke 945 lenses to be used on any MF body. (PS: my only interest is film).

Thanks!!
120, 150 and 200 mm Imagons ? The 200 mm could be mounted on the Hasselbad below for focusing.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I can save you a bunch of time ---- I've looked high and low for a lens that renders like the Cooke in MF land, and have not found it. The sink-strainer designs don't cut it and neither does the Mamiya 145 SF lens, but it closer. Closest yet are the Hasselblad 110 f2 F/FE lens, and Mamiya 80mm f1.9 lens, but only when either is shot wide open -- stop en down at all and the look goes away. FIlters and CS effects don't cut it either.

My .02 -- but if you find it, be sure to let me know ASAP!

JimCollum

I can save you a bunch of time ---- I've looked high and low for a lens that renders like the Cooke in MF land, and have not found it. The sink-strainer designs don't cut it and neither does the Mamiya 145 SF lens, but it closer. Closest yet are the Hasselblad 110 f2 F/FE lens, and Mamiya 80mm f1.9 lens, but only when either is shot wide open -- stop en down at all and the look goes away. FIlters and CS effects don't cut it either.

My .02 -- but if you find it, be sure to let me know ASAP!
have to agree with Jack on this.. having shot the Cooke extensively, and also having the Mamiya 80/1.9 and Zeis 110/2

you might be able to do it via the SK Grimes way

http://kikamulitzlivno.blogspot.com/1976_08_01_archive.html

have to agree with Jack on this.. having shot the Cooke extensively, and also having the Mamiya 80/1.9 and Zeis 110/2

you might be able to do it via the SK Grimes way

http://kikamulitzlivno.blogspot.com/1976_08_01_archive.html
Thank you for the link. I am thinking about adaptation of some old lenses for my Simar M ( V mount).

As far as I understand the Cooke 945 is a totally new aspherical soft focus lens with A very interesting look. I am trying to order the lens, it is being sold now.
There are some images on the Cooke site, and they resemble the imagon images more than vintage Cooke.
I wonder how the 945 works with a digiback
Yevgeny

JimCollum

Thank you for the link. I am thinking about adaptation of some old lenses for my Simar M ( V mount).

As far as I understand the Cooke 945 is a totally new aspherical soft focus lens with A very interesting look. I am trying to order the lens, it is being sold now.
There are some images on the Cooke site, and they resemble the imagon images more than vintage Cooke.
I wonder how the 945 works with a digiback
Yevgeny
I've shot with it using a Betterlight and an Aptus 75. It works great on either of them

(here's an article from Mike Collette.. He owns one of them..

http://www.betterlight.com/soft_lens.html )

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's long for a digiback ~~ 228mm. What's interesting is I used mine on 8x10 and it illuminated fully with a gorgeous rendering, at least IMO. Here is one of those from an 8x10 original. Seriously, I loved that lens and if any single thing makes me yearn for shooting LF again, that lens is it:

Lars

That look reminds me of my (ex-) 80 Lux, a great lens. I think from time to time about dabbling a little in 4x5" or 8x10", just for the fun of it, but I haven't made the jump yet. There ought to be some great deals to be had in second-hand view cameras these days, but I wouldn't have the foggiest where to start.

Is this the lens:

http://www.cookeoptics.com/cooke.nsf/products/largeformat.html
It's quite different from the 80 lux, even though Jack's still might show a bit of a resemblance.

So production is on again? I saw at Robert White that the Triple Convertible in in production for a third series too.