The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
congrats, Guy. you deserve it
Thanks John it's taken some baby steps to get here but I think i hit the mark now. I will say though I did love my P25+ and P30+ so don't want to forget that at all. The bodies well let's just say I am glad the are behind me.

Henry Goh

Well Guy don't say I told you so.

I think we can agree that it feels a lot more like a DSLR in so far as lag goes?

I love this body and I'm sure you'll be enjoying yours too. Those of you on the fence about upgrading: don't wait - Just Do it.

Congrats!

Guy Mancuso

Heck I went as far as buying a new tripod head for the new body and new back. I really am a gear slut. I need a lot of help. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Nice move Adam. You will love this combo. Being used to shooting fast with the P21 you won't miss a beat with the P40+ it is just as fast to shoot and the DF you will love. Adam if you go to the S2 review you will see a link to download raw files . There are a bunch of P40 shots in there you can download and play with to see what you just bought. You won't be sorry, it's a great back.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Guy Mancuso

Good news for the moment . Just ran a shutter speed test on the DF body from 1/125 to 1/4 of a second and I detect NO motion blur in any of the images. If many remember the AFDIII we had motion blur at shutter speeds 1/30 and worse at 1/15. Now I did this with a 150mm D lens and it may show up on a 300mm , so Bob's 300 is on it's way to me anyway so i will re run this test with it. But so far really good news here.

From Memory Jack's theory was the film gate which on the DF is no longer there.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Good news for the moment . Just ran a shutter speed test on the DF body from 1/125 to 1/4 of a second and I detect NO motion blur in any of the images. If many remember the AFDIII we had motion blur at shutter speeds 1/30 and worse at 1/15. Now I did this with a 150mm D lens and it may show up on a 300mm , so Bob's 300 is on it's way to me anyway so i will re run this test with it. But so far really good news here.

From Memory Jack's theory was the film gate which on the DF is no longer there.
AWESOME!!! Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Speaking for me personally, this was the biggest nit of the AFD bodies, so glad to hear it might be solved or at least sounds far better controlled in the DF :thumbs:

vieri

Wonderful news Guy! Enjoy your new DF & P40+ combo, and thank you very much for posting your first impressions - I am really happy to hear about how fast it is, this sounds great and very promising for me on my route to MF-only. Now, if only P1 will deliver mine soon... my rep here told me it will not be before January, but we'll have a demo body here next week to play with. :D Not like the real thing, but a teaser is still better than nothing :ROTFL:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks, Henry!

The Schneider LS lens is very impressive. Here's an informal couple shot at f2.8 and f4. (I cropped out the foreground to keep the size down.) The right hand edge is at 100%. Processed only with C1 defaults, no extra work.

First is the full scene at f2.8, second is the crop, third is same crop from the f4 shot.

attachmentid=26019&stc=1&d=1261445919http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26018&stc=1&d=1261445919http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26020&stc=1&d=1261445919

The jpegs really don't show much of course. On my big screen the 2.8 is very acceptable, the f4 about as good as it gets. 5.6 is a tiny further improvement in contrast, but in truth stopping beyond that point doesn't do anything except increase DOF.

I realize these don't show the corners - something I'll try and rectify in the next few days.

Bill

Last edited:

Henry Goh

Bill,

Thanks for sharing these. I plan to get the 110mm LS lens. I was told they'll ship in Feb or Mar 2010.

I'm also deferring my purchase of the Sekor 28mm D lens in case Schneider puts out a wide like 30mm.

As for your samples, I'm guessing if you put the camera on tripod and focus manually you may see the f/2.8 to be even sharper. I find that without the micro-adjustment feature for AF calibration, it is very difficult to have dead on accuracy for focusing wide open shots.

Kirmo

To Bill and You others giving thumbs up for Phase 1.

I got my DF + Scneider 80mm + P65+ today.

Kirmo

ps. It was the 1st DF for Finland.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bill,

I hate to even write this, but the crops you posted do not look very good to me compared to my 80D lens, even wide open in the corners. THe fact that it doesn't get better stopped down is even more troubling. One would think the Schneider design should generally kick butt...

Sorry :(,

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Jack, you really can't tell ANYTHING from 72 ppi jpegs - the Raws look great. I think the lens is probably diffraction limited by f8. And these were "an informal couple"! (with no processing.)
I'll do something more controlled soon and make the Raws available.
Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, you really can't tell ANYTHING from 72 ppi jpegs - the Raws look great. I think the lens is probably diffraction limited by f8. And these were "an informal couple"! (with no processing.)
I'll do something more controlled soon and make the Raws available.
Bill
Sounds good -- look forward to your report :salute: