The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

gogopix

Subscriber
Jack, you really can't tell ANYTHING from 72 ppi jpegs - the Raws look great. I think the lens is probably diffraction limited by f8. And these were "an informal couple"! (with no processing.)
I'll do something more controlled soon and make the Raws available.
Bill
I think Jack is right. We have seen some VERY sharp shots on this site. The 2.8 is pretty fuzzy and the f/4 soft.

I am wondering if it isn't just motion blur, or the edge went OOF. AT 2.8 you are going to have a VERY small DOF.

I would caution any conclusions about the lens from the edge under those situations.
Maybe show the center crop? I find it difficult to focus at the edge in shots like this, so I usually do a focus bracketing. Alternative is to look 100% and pick somewhere on the ground, in the plane of the center.

If not, I would have the lens checked.

Victor

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Absolutely. I'm about to set up a shot of the building to examine sensor+ ISO quality improvements since the last firmware. So I will post my thoughts of that combination in a few!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Guys, I think you know I don't just make exaggerated statements. But I have to say, I've just got the first DF body with firmware 1.0.1 with a Leaf Shutter Lens. It is even faster and more responsive than the pre-release firmware version that I played with last month!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

jlm

Workshop Member
in evaluating the sharpness of bill's image, i don't think it is a matter focus bracketing would solve. i don't see any image element at any distance shown in the image as sharp: not the tree way in the back, not the near snow and nothing in between. So i would suspect other gremlins

Henry Goh

Ray,

I have tested my 645DF with 45mm D, 55-110mm, 80mm D, 120mm macro, 150mm D, Hasselblad Zeiss 110 f/2. They all came up as good if not marginally better then when used on the 645AF.

RayM

Thank you, Henry, good to know. I'm just in the process of completing a purchase of a DF with an 80D, and I'll be picking up a 45D in the next few months, so I look forward to hearing thoughts and observations from you and others about how you're like the lenses. Thanks, Ray

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ray CONGRATS on your new system. Glad i could be of some service to you in helping you figure it all out.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

in evaluating the sharpness of bill's image, i don't think it is a matter focus bracketing would solve. i don't see any image element at any distance shown in the image as sharp: not the tree way in the back, not the near snow and nothing in between. So i would suspect other gremlins
I've had another look at the posted jpegs vs. the raw and perhaps the problem is that I'm not properly processing 100% views, because the jpegs on my screen don't do justice to the raw file.

I think I need educating - how does one best provide a 100% view from C1 for uploading to this site?

Tomorrow I hope to do a proper controlled test but I do need to make sure my technique for posting is correct.

Bill

Guy Mancuso

Bill take it up to 100 percent in CS4 than take a 900 x900 pixel section from that . Convert to srgb and post

I use the Rectangular marquee tool and set it for fixed size 900 by 900 take a section copy it ,than make new 900 by 900 paste and save that

RayM

Hi Guy, thanks for the congrats! I'm now in the middle of searching on all kinds of info, lens reviews, "set up" questions, all kinds of stuff I can obsess about! And, I will indeed hit you guys up on the set up stuff etc. Take care, Ray

Guy Mancuso

Not sure folks remember my last post on shutter motion and not even sure where I talked about it but just a update on the 300mm lens with the new DF. Have to say it still is miles above the AFDIII on this one little area alone

Okay I did the 150 D lens and could not pick up any shutter motion or motion blur on any shutter speed especially in 1/30 ,1/15 range but going to the 300mm lens I did pick it up at only two shutter speeds 1/40 and 1/30 but it is a lot better than the old AFDIII it is very slight but still there at those two speeds and surprisingly 1/20 and 1/15 which where basically unusable with a 300mm those two shutter speeds are excellent. If I had to make a call I would say with a 300mm avoid 1/40th but have to say this is really in the pixel peeping arena and not nearly as bad as the AFDIII and it did NOT show up with a 150mm just the 300mm. Obviously all locked down mirror up and 4 second timer. This was with the new Arca P1 ball head which I am finding a very excellent ball head by a country mile.

If I get a chance this week I will do a little update on this new Ball head from Arca but I will already make the call it is a cube with friction motion. It locks down like a rock. Purely ARCA

Guy Mancuso

Here just to show . Watch the cross bar at 1/60 no motion at 1/40th you see ghosting and this is the worst shutter speed is 1/40th the 1/30 and 1/20th shutter speeds extremely slightly there but not worth avoiding. Yes it's that slight we are in microscope land.We need to remember this is a 300mm lens and i do not see this in the 150D. Frankly i think damn good over the AFDIII by a country mile.

Full image at 1/60th, than crop and than 1/40th crop. I will add 1/20th than 1/8 it is just as clean as the 1/60th. Personally i will not avoid 1/20th or 1/15th. not worth thinking about

Guy Mancuso

Next week the DF gets a heavy dose of a full workout with shooting runway. Actually so does the P40+. In many ways I wanted both the P40+ for exactly this stuff with sensor plus. I shoot thousands of images that get posted on 20 ft screens usually after a couple hours of shooting. So need fast processing and consistency through the whole process. Honestly I have done this with the P25 and P30+ backs and nailed everything. It only gets FASTER from here and the new DF body just screams with much better AF and speed all around. Can't wait.

vieri

Guy, thank you very much for posting the shutter speed shots - looks great indeed, and very promising after the 645 AF. Cannot wait to put my hands on the new body, though I will have to wait probably until mid January to see that happen :(

On another note, having gotten the Cube and having seen A-S quality at work, I am very interested in your thoughts on the P1 - it might be worth to add a ball to the Cube for those times when you need it, to replace my old Markins which is a little lightweight to play with the MF big guns...

Thanks again, and happy shooting with your new toys! :D