The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phaseone 645DF - got mine today

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay 0ver 1400 shots in Sensor Plus at pretty much at maximum shooting speed. This thing is just damn quick. Basically model walking down runway getting 4 or 5 shots at a good pace but I could push it even harder if needed. Battery level never went down after that many frames . I just for the sake of safety switched the next day but could have went more. I also noticed my P40+ back is taking less energy than my P30+as well. So my complete system now not only extremely fast but with a actual gain in battery life. So some serious improvements. The whole week I was really just flying except I DID have buffer issues with my older CF cards and just ordered the new 60mg EXtreme Sandisk cards. Actually I had camera shutdown as well which I really think the new firmware on the DF is setup for these new cards better but I will go back and test this out and hopefully it is not the DF itself but related directly at the cards.
Bottom line any thoughts of a Canon or Nikon is completely gone and will proceed on building this system more.:D

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Hi Bill:

I am experiencing the same thing. I started with a fresh charge on my rechargeables, where I used to get about 200 frames. I've been using that first set ever since I got the camera, have left them in the camera which used to drain them in about a week, and now have about 400 frames with them and they are still registering 2/3rds full(!)

Also, I notice greatly improved back battery performance, lasting about 2x as long. But I switched backs from the P45+ to the P65+ and am not sure how much that affects back battery performance...

I'll repeat that AF is much faster and shutter lag is notably shorter, so all in all have to say this is definitely a "two thumbs up" worthwhile body upgrade for any regular Mamiya shooter!

(In fact, with the pixel binning on my P65+ allowing a very usable 15MP of ISO 1600 coupled with the improved DF body performance, I am seriously rethinking if I even need my Canon kit.)
Yes, Jack, this body is a real winner! I'm now at 518 shots on the original AA cells...this is number 518, a postcard from frigid Ontario...
Bill

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Okay a little OT but this is the P40+ at 1600 ISO with sensor plus. Much more of a report coming but a good tease. I am pretty much at defaults here since I was processing for speed at the time. Also back set for tungsten , typical stage tungsten lighting. I AM extremely pleased with these results. I might have even pushed these a little. Have to actually sit down at home on my 30 inch and reprocess for optimum results.

Guy Mancuso

Joe I think you have had to buy a new back and AFDIII to get the 1500 dollar upgrade price. Check with CI though to be sure.

olaf

Okay a little OT but this is the P40+ at 1600 ISO with sensor plus. Much more of a report coming but a good tease. I am pretty much at defaults here since I was processing for speed at the time. Also back set for tungsten , typical stage tungsten lighting. I AM extremely pleased with these results. I might have even pushed these a little. Have to actually sit down at home on my 30 inch and reprocess for optimum results.
Hi Guy
May I just check my understanding of the catwalk images? Using P40+/Sensor+ at ISO 1600 means they are the rough equivalent of 10MP? If that is so then those images seem amazingly clean and even the resolution (allowing for on line viewing...etc) looks pretty good. Can you confirm? Thx.

Guy Mancuso

Yes they are 10 mpx raw files withSensor plus it bins them down 4 times . So from 40 to 10 and yes very clean ISO800 is amazingly good and 1600 is very acceptable

arashm

Guy
thank you for posting these
so how big are the raw files shot full res and then in sensor + megabit wise (aprox)
Thanks in advance
am

Guy Mancuso

Well just got home from 10 days in LA. About a million things to catch up on but the Sensor Plus files are approx 11mgs each,. It varies slightly given data in image and on the full res the raws are between around 38 and 42 mgs . This is before any processing of course.

After processing 16 bit Tifs on Sensor Plus are 57mgs and full res 240.:D