The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus 2.0 Tips

As Phocus 2.0 has just been released, ill list a few handy tips over the coming days as they come to me.

First off is the layout functionality. If you want to make your own workspace, do the following.

1. Setup Phocus how you would like (Tools open, thumbnail sizing, Toolbar contents, windows etc etc)

2. Select Edit from the 'Layouts' pull down menu on the toolbar.

3. Click on the '+' button in the bottom left of the window. A new layout called 'Untitled' will be shown. Name it!

4. On the right hand side choose what elements you want to include by ticking the box(es).

5. Done. Your layout will now appear in the Layout pull down menu as used before.

Note...

1. The order of layouts can be changed in the Edit window simply by dragging them. Useful for making use of the shortcut keys.

2. You can apply a set of adjustments, to a layout. Useful if you want to set up a Layout Trigger. ie, Connect a camera and Phocus will change to your chosen layout and apply some settings. Good for starting a tethered shoot!

Layout Triggers can be set in the preferences.

3. You can import/export layouts by clicking on the cog icon next to + and -

They are saved as .layp files and can be shared by email, file transfer etc etc.

David.

Ok one more quick one...

Hold down Cmd (Apple Key), while clicking on a folder in the file browser of 3F images.

It will open as a Tab, instead of replacing the existing folder. Bit like tab browsing in Safari / Firefox.

Note, you can do this with the Quick Collection as well.

PeterA

Just wondering if these tips are put somewhere ( aka a manual?? -:)) so we can reference when it is winter down here?! :bugeyes:

Quick Modify...

Need to modify a group of images but just with one tool? ie Sharpness,

1) Select all the images you want to adjust

2) Make the adjustment

3) Click on the small arrow to the right of the particular tool's header bar.

4) Choose, 'Modify [Tool] of selected Files'

rmueller

Hi David,

Keep them coming, really appreciate !!!

I have installed Phocus 2.0 but so far only briefly looked at it. Glad the
holiday season is coming and i can spend couple of days learning the
new features (and reading the manual of course).

Meanwhile i will try some of the tips posted here. Overall, I believe you
did a great job and the major release increment is well deserved.

Best Regards,
Ralf

Layout Triggers...

Look in the Preferences.

Layouts (See earlier) can be pre-programmed to trigger on certain events.

i.e. Plug in a Compact Flash and switch to your Import Layout

or

Plug in a camera and switch to your Capture Layout.

In this case, when I connect a CF card, Phocus will automatically switch to my Import layout. (Toolbar reduced to Layout and Import Icon Only, Thumbnails resized larger, main Viewer closed, Image Info open... for example!)

Also note at the bottom of Prefs, Layouts can also be quickly accessed with an Opt-Click on the selected tool tab.

The Underused Job Info Tool!

Remember, you can set up EVERYTHING here before you shoot tethered, saves time, saves mistakes...

Work through the tool from top to bottom, and don't forget the ability to make lots of Meta Data templates. Different Jobs, Different Clients. Full IPTC support...

Also under Name Preset, explore the options here to create your own file naming conventions.

Lastly before shooting, remember to reset the Adjustments to STANDARD, or your own standard so you are not shooting with a set of adjustments from yesterday etc etc....

Colour Correction

1) Use the picker in the tool to select the colour you wish to adjust

2) Adjust the size of the 'wedge' by dragging on the outside edge. Small wedge - specific colour change. Large Wedge - broader colour change

3) Use the HSL sliders to adjust the colour. Arrow head shows Before and After. You can also click drag the arrow head. Changes happen in real time.

4) Use the TAB key to change between corrections (if you have more than one) and Backspace / Del to remove them.

NB - Saturation and Vibrancy sliders at the bottom of the tool (Like Lightroom) work over the WHOLE image.

Show Captures in Viewer

With Phocus 2.0 it is now possible to turn the loading of new tethered captures to the Viewer off. Perhaps you want to keep a nosy AD out the way, allow somebody free hand to click on the images they want to see as you shoot, or would just prefer to see thumbnails pop up at the size of your choosing.

Goto the View menu and check / uncheck the last option.

Incidentally if you are working with a digital assistant, they can interrupt your capture by clicking on an image as they are loaded. You will still be able to capture but new captures will not show in the viewer and be temporally disabled. When the assistant is 'hands off' Phocus for 8 seconds, new images will automatically start to appear.

Adjustment Browser...

Have you made some adjustments in Phocus you want to save and use at a later date?

1) In the Adjustment Browser tool, goto user and Click on the '+' button.

2) Name your set of Adjustments and hit enter

3) The Adjustments can be loaded anytime by choosing it from the pull down 'Adjustments' menu in the Toolbar.

NB - This adjustment set can also be

a) Applied on Import
b) Set before commencing a tethered capture session

Final Tip...!

Right click on any adjustment set in the 'Embedded' tab of the adjustment browser to quickly copy this to the User section.

I would like to add to David's list:

You can customize the Toolbar by Ctrl (control) clicking on it and selecting "Customize Toolbar" from the drop down Menu. You can now discard or move any tool icons that you wish or add to the toolbar by dragging from the Palette.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

You can collapse the Toolbar at the top to increase your workspace by clicking the Tic-Tac in the upper right of the tool bar above the Tool Tabs.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

arashm

David:
Regarding your post about the adjustment browser.
One of the things I miss a lot from phocus is a way to create "virtual Copys" (LR) or "Variants" (c1).
I shoot a lot of Interiors, and process out the same file up to 5 different times, for different WB and density, example blue ambient light coming through the window and the tungsten interior. These files are then stacked and masked in photoshop.
I want to be able to create separate adjustments with their own thumbnails in the browser (of the same file), this way if one has to be adjusted there is a easy visual of it.
Also by having all the visual thumbnails you can see what you've done when you come back to the folder a month later or something like that.
The image below is 4 separate files outputted from the same Raw file.
This would also maybe help people like wedding photogs that want to process out and see that they've processed out a colour and B+W version of a specific file.
Thank you for providing a space for input by actual end users.
am
(H3D2-31 with 28mm in phocus 1.2, pre 2.0 release)