The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leveling base and new tripod head ?

Another vote for the Gitzo G2270m here. The movements of this head are so super-smooth you will hardly miss a geared head! I also have a Manfrotto 405, but I would choose the Gitzo over it any day.

M

martin

I use a cf 5 series with the Manfrotto 519 fluid head... dial in the counterbalance exactly for up to 5kg, sliding plate approx 60mm (good for macro), no need for the levelling base, just pop in the 75mm bowl. ...set the pan/tilt drag to max, then click...the fluid head minimises transfer of both leg-borne vibes to the head as well as camera-induced vibes to the legs, and both have their influence, I've found. Brand new around 800AU, half the cost of a good used hassie lens, with the potential for top performance every shot...reasonable, considering the great lengths and costs we go to for pic perfection...however, stability doesn't come cheap wrt weight if you can handle 5.5kg with the legs. Only drawback, though not with my 6x6, is the need for a vertical bracket, which I will tinker on for my 645 in due course...I'm sure there are other limitations for different users, but so far it suits me fine.

thomas

does anybody already have experience with this leveling base?
mine was delivered today.
It's a nice leveling base.
Small, light, and very, very smooth to handle.
It levels out up to around 10°. Carries 10Kg.
The Manfrotto is much heavier (three times heavier), much bigger and more limited with regard to the leveling degree (around 5° I guess).
So this is a very nice addition and I will keep it.

What I don't like - you have to counter the screws otherwise stablity will suffer. So you use the bigger (lower) screws for leveling and the smaller (upper) screws to counter the plate:

The Manfrotto is heavy and bulky but you don't have to counter the screws - it's always rock solid.
But the screws are very stiff (though you can adjust them a little bit).

I am going to use the EZ-Leveler II under my Gitzo ballhead when I use the MF camera and need precise leveling (occasionally just with a Novoflex pano base instead of the Gitzo head). Seems to work great so far.
And I am using the Gitzo as all other ballheads and/or camera bases have these ****ty bubble levels that you can't see when the camera is mounted.
The Gitzo has 2 (actually 3) tube levels. So with the leveling base under the Gitzo head leveling is fast and easy ... and very accurate.

Last edited:

thomas

I've modfied the EZ Leveler...
I removed the rubber/cork, turned it upside down and mounted it directly on the center column of the tripod. So no pseudo dumping anymore and one component less.
Looks good. I'll see if it works out ...

J

Jordan_Miller

For those users of Gitzo Systematic tripods, there is a great leveling system available from Gitzo & Manfrotto, that uses common video-based support accessories.

With Gitzo's Systematic tripods, you have a removable column / flat plate to which you would normally secure your tripod head. As I am sure most of you have found, using the flat plate, instead of the movable column, provides a much more rigid, and secure camera platform.

For some time now, Gitzo has made both 75mm and 100mm 'Ball Adapters' for use with the systematic series of tripods (including Series N˚ 3, 4, & 5). The adapters provide a round, concave socket which acts as the leveling base.

To compliment the above tripod adapter, Manfrotto offers both 75mm and 100mm 'Half Ball Adapters' which are designed to be secured to the bottom of your tripod head. These half ball adapters act as the 'ball' that fits in the 'socket' of the Gitzo ball adapter. These half ball adapters included the necessary handle and locking mechanism to secure the entire adapter, tripod head, and camera to the tripod.

This type of head and tripod configuration has been in use in motion picture industry for close 50 years, and was adapted by the video/ENG very early on. The 75mm and 100mm specs are common to both. These adapter configurations offer tremendous leveling capability, while maintaining and extremely rigid camera platform, capable of supporting cameras weighing well over the tripods maximum load capacity.

Here are some links to the adapters I have described:

Gitzo GS5320V100 Systematic 100mm Ball Adapter
http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/accessories/adapters?code=GS5320V100

Gitzo GS5320V75 Systematic 75mm Ball Adapter
http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/accessories/adapters?code=GS5320V75

Manfrotto 500BALL 100mm Half Ball Head Adapter
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3336?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

Manfrotto 500BALLSH 100mm Half Ball Head Adapter - Short handle
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3338?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

Manfrotto 520BALLSH 75mm Half Ball Head Adapter
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3337?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

Manfrotto 520BALLSH 75mm Half Ball Head Adapter - Short handle
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3339?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

Having used most every leveling base out there, including the Gitzo GS5121LVL, Acratech Base, Manfrotto 3416, and a few others. All of which have either been worn out (as mentioned in earlier posts), or I have found them to be just plain slow and cumbersome. These 'half ball' solution using the above components, have proven to be one of most durable, and straight-forward systems available. Not to mention this is not adding any additional height to the tripod / head combination. If anything, it is lower profile, and brings the tripod head closer the legs.

I have used this system with all three series' of Gitzo tripods, and have found I prefer them with the N˚ 4/5 series tripods. It makes for a great setup when using and ARCA-SWISS Cube along with various technical cameras.

P

philipmccormick

For those users of Gitzo Systematic tripods, there is a great leveling system available from Gitzo & Manfrotto, that uses common video-based support accessories.

With Gitzo's Systematic tripods, you have a removable column / flat plate to which you would normally secure your tripod head. As I am sure most of you have found, using the flat plate, instead of the movable column, provides a much more rigid, and secure camera platform.

For some time now, Gitzo has made both 75mm and 100mm 'Ball Adapters' for use with the systematic series of tripods (including Series N˚ 3, 4, & 5). The adapters provide a round, concave socket which acts as the leveling base.

To compliment the above tripod adapter, Manfrotto offers both 75mm and 100mm 'Half Ball Adapters' which are designed to be secured to the bottom of your tripod head. These half ball adapters act as the 'ball' that fits in the 'socket' of the Gitzo ball adapter. These half ball adapters included the necessary handle and locking mechanism to secure the entire adapter, tripod head, and camera to the tripod.

This type of head and tripod configuration has been in use in motion picture industry for close 50 years, and was adapted by the video/ENG very early on. The 75mm and 100mm specs are common to both. These adapter configurations offer tremendous leveling capability, while maintaining and extremely rigid camera platform, capable of supporting cameras weighing well over the tripods maximum load capacity.

Here are some links to the adapters I have described:

Gitzo GS5320V100 Systematic 100mm Ball Adapter
http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/accessories/adapters?code=GS5320V100

Gitzo GS5320V75 Systematic 75mm Ball Adapter
http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/accessories/adapters?code=GS5320V75

Manfrotto 500BALL 100mm Half Ball Head Adapter
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3336?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

Manfrotto 500BALLSH 100mm Half Ball Head Adapter - Short handle
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3338?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

Manfrotto 520BALLSH 75mm Half Ball Head Adapter
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3337?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

Manfrotto 520BALLSH 75mm Half Ball Head Adapter - Short handle
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/pid/3339?livid=107&lsf=107&child=2

Having used most every leveling base out there, including the Gitzo GS5121LVL, Acratech Base, Manfrotto 3416, and a few others. All of which have either been worn out (as mentioned in earlier posts), or I have found them to be just plain slow and cumbersome. These 'half ball' solution using the above components, have proven to be one of most durable, and straight-forward systems available. Not to mention this is not adding any additional height to the tripod / head combination. If anything, it is lower profile, and brings the tripod head closer the legs.

I have used this system with all three series' of Gitzo tripods, and have found I prefer them with the N˚ 4/5 series tripods. It makes for a great setup when using and ARCA-SWISS Cube along with various technical cameras.
Hi folks, my first post on getDPI.

I know I'm resurrecting a pretty old thread here, but I've been reading this and am looking for a head set-up for my new systematic GT3541XLS.

Jordan, can you tell me if the above-mentioned arrangement with the video half-ball and adapter is definitely better/more stable than the Gitzo flat plate which comes with the tripod? And if so, how? Bearing in mind that you're adding a considerable weight versus the flat plate (especially with the 100mm combination and especially on a hike.)

Has anyone else used this set-up?

thanks,
Philip

Has anyone

T

tetsrfun

I recently did a 5.8k road trip including Yosemite, JH, Yellowstone, Santa Fe, etc. My RRS leveling base and PCL-1 clamp stayed on the 'pod 95% of the time. This combination levels quickly, is low profile and light weight. It also is constructed using a "standard" 75mm bowl if video is a consideration. The RRS leveling base is compatible with the RRS TVC-33 and Gitzo series 3 tripods.

Steve

G

gigdagefg

I use the Arcatech leveling base which is light, cheap and user friendly. With it I use the cube which is totally worth the price because it make composition a joy rather than a wrestling match with a ball head.

Stanley

P

philipmccormick

Only true as long as you don't want to shoot panoramics which are not level.
So if you want to shoot panoramics which are not level you would need an additional leveling base with your Cube/Multiflex (just bought a Multiflex, should be arriving today!)? I'm not sure what you mean by wanting to shoot panoramics which aren't level? And I thought one of the points about the Cube/Multiflex is that it doesn't need an extra leveling base for panoramics, no?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Only true as long as you don't want to shoot panoramics which are not level.
The CUBE has two turn tables , one on the base to the tripod and the other one is leveled below the QC clamp .
Please explain your above statement in more detail .

Christopher

If you want to shoot a panopramic up or down, you need to use the turn table below the part which points the camera up or down. So you would need the Cubes lower turn table. However if now the cube itself is not level, it doesn't help at all.

I'm talking about panoramics if you are on a mountain and shoot down, or if you stand in a valley and want to shoot up. (or similiar)

P

philipmccormick

Thanks for that link, Christopher, it's very useful.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
If you want to shoot a panopramic up or down, you need to use the turn table below the part which points the camera up or down. So you would need the Cubes lower turn table. However if now the cube itself is not level, it doesn't help at all.

I'm talking about panoramics if you are on a mountain and shoot down, or if you stand in a valley and want to shoot up. (or similiar)
Christopher

Understood and thank you . Great help .
Although I do currently not shoot panos , it is worth to think about the EZ-LEVELER II and put the cube on top of it .

Don Libby

I had a bet with myself on when the first mention of the Cube would show and by whom.

Thanks to Jack the Cube Enabler I've been using one for over 18 months now and am very pleased. While my main landscape camera is a Cambo WRS1000 I have also started using a Leica M9. The Cambo also sits on the Cube and I have used the M9 as well although it just kinda looks funny sitting on top of the Cube.

There's been some discussion regarding using the Cube to do panorama work and I'll briefly jump in here to say it works as well.

The Cambo is perfect for panoramas as if offers the ability to flat stitch. You still need a level platform. I understand there's some concern regarding using the Cube if you have to focus upwards towards say a mountain or downhill towards a valley. I've done both while I was still shooting with a Phase AFD body. There's two axes of level, one horizontal the other vertical. You need to first ensure the Cube is centered on both axes. You'll be either too high or too low depending on the subject. Keeping the Cube centered horizontal you can move the vertical alignment up or down without affecting the horizontal level. It isn't perfect however it can be very close. The only way to achieve a near perfect panorama using multiple images is by the use of a technical camera.

I'll add one other suggestion. Total level the Cube then shoot a series of images left to right. Raise the head (keeping the horizontal level) then repeat your images. Lower the head below the center and do another series. You'll end up with 3-rows of images that can then be stitched into a huge panorama. The controls are all there with plenty of witness marks so you can repeat the image position for each row; all you need to do is plan ahead and do it slow. I've stopped doing this with the Cambo however I've done it with the Phase body as well as a Canon 1DsIII and played with it using the M9.

One other thought here on the Cube. It's heavy and expensive however it's replaced everything I ever used in the field.

Don

Godfrey

... geared head ...

... I have stripped the Manfrotto levelling base from it's clunky QTVR rig and have it underneath the smaller of Manfrotto's geared heads. ...
Sorry for the digression:

I presume you mean the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head. I've been looking at one of these for a bit ... Ball heads work best for me in the field, but for more precise work I'd like a geared head. It seem about the right size and weight for what I need.

Only thing I don't like about this one is the RC4 quick release system built into it. All my tripod equipment is organized around Arca-Swiss type QR plates and clamps.

Is there any way to graft a RRS Lever Action QR clamp onto this head that makes sense? Are there any other geared heads in this load rating range (I don't need and couldn't afford an A-S Cube for my gear...) that do not have a built-in QR system?

Regards a leveling base, I had the Acratech and it seemed to work beautifully, loved the fit and finish. But I found I didn't really need it and never actually used it in the field.