The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leveling base and new tripod head ?

Christopher

Well I get straight to the point. I am looking for a new leveling base and tripod head. The leveling base is the most important part. It should be used with both of my Gitzo tripods (2 series and 5 series) Right now I have a old leveling plate which is most probably would more call a ballhead. What options are out there ? I have searched a bit but haven't found to much. Am I missing something ?

Now the seconds part is a new head, I am a little sick of ballheads and while I will keep mine, I'm looking for something different. The first stuff that comes to mind is the Cube, which won't happen. I don't see myself spending 1700EURs for it...... Than there is the Man. 405 which costs around 400 which i think is more realistic. I probably would have bought it already, however I really hate the cheap top of that thing. I mean Is the quick release really stable once one puts a RRS clamp on top ?

Besides these two options are there any more ?

I would appreciate your input, experiences and opinions.

stephengilbert

Acratech makes a nice leveling base. It's relatively inexpensive ($149) and light weight (1/2 pound). http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=3&cat=2&page=1

I use mine with a Really Right Stuff panning clamp. http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=PCL-1&eq=PCL-001&Tp=

Both of these items are well made and work well. The only downside, compared to the Cube, is that you have to fiddle a bit to get things level; no geared adjustments. But you get a nice setup that allows you to level your camera and then pan if you want. You can use these with or without a tripod head. I don't normally use a head at al. (Or, as some have said, I don't use my head at all.)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Gitzo 3870 Ball head and RRS panning clamp. That is what i use and it works really well. The Gitzo has friction so when going left or right it is very hard to push it over to the sides , but up and down it is very easy to work. Reason I like this is I never had a head with camera on it tip over which is about as nerve racking as someone with finger nails on a blackboard . You should really read about how it works

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/562412-REG/Gitzo_GH3780_GH3780_Center_Ballhead_.html#features

Chris C

..... I am looking for a new leveling base and tripod head.... sick of ballheads......
For what it's worth [I'm a stray here and don't belong] I have stripped the Manfrotto levelling base from it's clunky QTVR rig and have it underneath the smaller of Manfrotto's geared heads. I can't stand ball-heads, I love geared heads, my arrangement [on a Manfrotto tripod] suits me fine and it makes a very efficient kit for how I shoot [which includes multi-row panoramas]. Whether the small geared head is suitable for your camera gear; you may already know.

.............. Chris

carstenw

I have the Acratech, and while it is nice for what it is, it is a ballhead with all the advantages and disadvantages that implies. That means that when you tighten it, it moves ever so slightly. If I were buying a leveling head today, I might look at the Manfrotto one listed above. If you decide on the Acratech, I will sell you mine. It is in perfect shape, other than possibly a little wear on the top and bottom plates, where it meets my ballhead and tripod. If you are ever in Berlin, drop me a note and you can have a look at it.

I have the RRS BH-55 and while it is nice, it is a ballhead, with all the advantages and disadvantages that implies. That means that when you tighten it, it moves ever so slightly. Get the drift? :) I am buying a 405 tomorrow. If you are ever in Berlin, you can drop by and take a look at it, if you want to try before you buy. Kirk offers a special adapter which is like a Manfrotto QR plate with a built-in Arca-style clamp, and that is what I will get when my money frees up a little again, after my recent shopping spree.

http://www.kirkphoto.com/SQRC-3271_Manfrotto_3271_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

Godfrey

I have the Acratech Levelling Base and find it to work well for me. I usually use a ball head (Acratech Ultimate Ball Head or Markins Q3) on it.

For more precise work, I plan to get one of the Manfrotto geared heads, and fit a RRS focusing rail assembly to it. I'd love a Cube but can't justify the cost for my needs ... the Manfrotto heads and RRS focusing rail are good enough.

bensonga

I have the Gitzo Leveling Base and the Gitzo 2270 pan tilt head on a Series 3 Gitzo tripod. The level base and pan tilt head works great together. Still alot to be said for a well made pan tilt head.

Gary

Christopher

Thanks for all the input. I think my first step will be to get the gitzo or manfrotto leveling base and try it with my burzynski head. If that still isn't enough perhaps I really have to look at the cube :mad:

thomas

Thanks for all the input. I think my first step will be to get the gitzo or manfrotto leveling base and try it with my burzynski head. If that still isn't enough perhaps I really have to look at the cube :mad:
there's another leveling base by Nodal Ninja:
http://www.nodalninja.com/products/ezlevelers.html
http://www.pano-store.de/shop_shpLvlr.php?xtra=showProduct&prdID=95
It's smaller and lighter than the Manfrotto and the screws are likely smoother to handle.

BTW: which view camera are you using?

Last edited:

thomas

depends on how you mount it! when it's mounted straight aligned with the tripod legs (respectively aligned with the camera) you use the 2 rear screws for horizontal leveling and the front screw for vertical leveling. it's easy, fast and accurate.

Lars

I have the Gitzo Leveling Base and the Gitzo 2270 pan tilt head on a Series 3 Gitzo tripod. The level base and pan tilt head works great together. Still alot to be said for a well made pan tilt head.

Gary
I had one of those Gitzo leveling bases (221?). It's not very strong - after a few weeks in the field it was all bent and useless. I also don't like the construction with the cork pad - not enough transmission of vibration from the camera down to the legs. It might be ok with a light setup but don't put anything really substantial on it. I now use a Burzynski ball head as leveling base for my 8x10 monorail.

bensonga

I use the Gitzo setup for my Hasselblads and Pentax 67. For my 4x5 view cameras (Ebony 45SU and Sinar P), I use the wooden Berlebach 3032 Leveling Ball 2 section tripod with a Bogen 3049 Super Pro head. No center column and wood supposedly dampens vibrations about as good as anything out there.

Gary

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
epends on how you mount it! . .
But you usually can't align the tripod to the image axis on non-level ground because you put two legs downhill on an isocline and one leg (often shortened) uphill regardless of which way you are going to point the camera.

thomas

But you usually can't align the tripod to the image axis on non-level ground because you put two legs downhill on an isocline and one leg (often shortened) uphill regardless of which way you are going to point the camera.
either way. As long as one of the 3 screws is straight to the lens it will work fine; see for instance here:

Last edited: