The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Manfrottto 654b monopod

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This is the monopod that has the foot that you step on to extend. See the following link to LL: Manfrotto 654b monopod

Does anyone know whether it disassembles relatively easily so it can be packed in checked luggage?
Woody,

I have one of these - it doesn't disassemble at all. It won't fit in a standard carry on bag (22in) but if you remove whatever head you put on it it will JUST fit diagonally across a 26in rolling case (you'd have to check it). I'd recommend carrying it on or pad it well in a mid sized tripod bag and play russian roulette in baggage.

Geoff

Saw the review, loked at it Calumet - yes, its functional as stated,but its a bit large. The trigger mechanism at the top adds some weight too. So its an easy-to-use monopod, but not the smallest or lightest, to be sure. I'd pass on it, as the size and weight are just a bit too much for me; someone else might think otherwise.

carstenw

I used one for a weekend, and it works very well, as demonstrated in Michael Reichmann's video. It *is* heavy and large, and when I finally chose, I went with the more traditional 680B, which is cheaper, lighter, more compact and more robust, if less convenient. Both are great though.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As mentioned, the monopod works as you'd expect and the setup speed, spike & fold out foot are excellent. I confess though that I navigate back to my Gitzo traveler which fits into any travel bag and is lighter.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I use it with a RRS 25 ball head and I keep the camera in a bag until needed. When the camera is not on it, I use it as a walking stick.