The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What makes the Cube so wonderful?

Don Libby

I've just ordered my Cube but please spare me the assimilation witticisms. I found all that crap completely off-putting. Thanks to the folks who provided valuable information.

I am immediately suspicious of any product that seems to have religious fervour attached to it.
Jeff, The assimilation cracks come from the old TV show Star-Trek” and the Borg with their Cube spaceship. They went around assimilating people into their group this the term. While the TV show had a near religious fervor among its followers it’s all done tongue-in-cheek here. Besides you have to admit it’s one a heck of a head!

Enjoy!

Don

Terry

The Cube won’t make you a better photographer nor will it cure the common cold. It will assist in making sure you get your camera as level as can be in a very short time thus allowing you to capture better images. The Cube works best on landscape and static shots however will suck if you attempt to do any wildlife; for that you need the fluid function of a ballhead.

Just my 2 cents worth …

Don
Yes, I was in Iceland with my cube and as we were driving along the group decided to do an impromptu birding session. Needless to say the person with the Wimberly (and the 500mm monster lens) got the keepers. At least the Puffins like to stand in one place for a reasonable amount of time :ROTFL:

hcubell

I've just ordered my Cube but please spare me the assimilation witticisms. I found all that crap completely off-putting. Thanks to the folks who provided valuable information.

I am immediately suspicious of any product that seems to have religious fervour attached to it.
Hello Jeff:
If you have a chance, I would be interested in how damped the Cube is compared to your B1 when using a longer lens and a shutter speed of 1/4 or 1/8 sec. (I am desperately trying to talk myself out of a Cube.)
Hope everything is good with you.
Best, Howard

Steve Hendrix

Jeff

Adding to Don's "assimilation" reference, there is also a physical resemblance, which is really where the whole "borg assimilation" thing originated from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_starships

Steve Hendrix

gogopix

Subscriber

You don't spend much time around GetDPI, do you? :D

BTW, I really like your florals! Great work.

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
well right now the shape is wrong
from a budget point of view...it is square, and my budget is round..

as in "0" :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Arca P1 showed up it is really nice . Most all of it is controlled by the ring the drag control maybe better for a lighter setup . But nothing sticking out and the ring is the master control and very fluid but most of the drag you can apply is through the ring and let go and it sits even without tightening down. Release is a two stage which has safety written all over it and love it for that. LOoks awesome on the Gitzo 3541 XL . The only thing I see as a limitation is it won't shoot straight down, not a really big deal I can work the legs on the Gitzo if I have too. I will take a few shots of it later and I need to run a shutter test with a 300 anyway so will report more on it . But so far pretty dang nice. BTW it's all Arca design and finish

Oh the panning is very smooth but stiff , just as it should be.

Jeffg53

Thanks Folks. My frustration comes from living in Australia where gear like this is hard to see so I rely on getDPI as a source of trustworthy knowledge. I have just about abandoned LL as I am sick of anti-Hasselblad comments.

When I start getting comments that are an in-joke, I start to despair but you guys have come through for which I am very grateful. Until I realised what I can do with the Cube, my B1 composition frustration level was contained, but no longer.

I still have a 1228 with a BH40 on it so I will have the ability to move quickly, if needed.

Thanks again

stephengilbert

"I am immediately suspicious of any product that seems to have religious fervour attached to it." I'm not suspicious of the product, but the thread ... :deadhorse:

rwphoto

All the best in 2010 to everyone . Guy I am interested to hear your thoughts on the Arca P1 .Much appreciated .

Roger